VOGONS

Reply 1840 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If there is an option to order a bunch of industrial-made metal brackets, that will be much better.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 1841 of 3172, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's probably pretty large minimum order needed, 1000+. I am interested to know how much such an endeavour would cost though.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 1842 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could not the PCB made to fit a Standart Bracklet?

i'm pretty sure some cheapo chinese seller has some thing around..

A 3D Printed one is still better then nothing 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 1843 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At the very beginning of the thread it was discussed that the readily available Vibra cards could be cannibalized for the brackets. However at the moment the jacks order does not coincide with the Creative's approach (leading to the lack of correspondence between the markings on the brackets and the actual functions of the jacks), and IIRC some people also wrote that the space between the jacks needs some adjustment.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 1844 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:

If there is an option to order a bunch of industrial-made metal brackets, that will be much better.

I agree. If it doesn't add more than a few dollars per unit, I'd be in favour of that. Something made-to-measure is definitely better than a part borrowed from an otherwise usable card that may not even be a good match, whether just the labelling or spacing.

Reply 1847 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rocksolid_1997 wrote:

I am really late to this party; are there any way to get in on this still ? (buy pcb + components?)

Edit: almost forgot; FREAKING AWESOME THREAD!

To summarise: no, not at the moment. A more detailed reply can be found here.

Reply 1848 of 3172, by rocksolid_1997

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
640K!enough wrote:

To summarise: no, not at the moment. A more detailed reply can be found here.

Thanks for the reply - I completely understand, and I agree completely with the decision btw. I will keep my fingers crossed, that somehow us peasants can get our hands on one , at some point 😀

Reply 1849 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Peasants" has nothing to do with it, you're simply late.

But good news for everyone - I'll be moving back to my flat on thursday so I can implement the fixes/addons proposed for the current prototype slightly after that.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 1850 of 3172, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I am planning on putting my prototype together this week provided nothing big comes up again.

Took me forever to find the newest proto2 documentation attachment.

I'll post pics once I start putting it together.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1851 of 3172, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My prototype (08) is soldered and the first run was made! You can listen to Duke Nukem with Ultrasound set on! Sounds nice 😀
For now the only issue is that you can hear it only once... when you run "test music" for the second time - it freezes.

Will try with different drivers (now I have 4.10 if remember correctly)

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 1853 of 3172, by rocksolid_1997

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shock__ wrote:

"Peasants" has nothing to do with it, you're simply late.

Ah right - however the link provided prior does mention that there might be an anti-scammer part of it, that was what i was referring to entirely 😀
No pun intended in any wording, its all kindly meant 😀

Its an awesome board - awesome project !

Reply 1854 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arctic wrote:

Is it still possible to get one of the cards made in this thread?

Please take a few minutes to read part of the thread before asking again. This was covered just a few posts above, on this very page. Unless shock__ changes his mind about a production run for general sale, the cards will be available only to those who donated at the beginning of the project and/or made a technical contribution. Whether a general-sale run happens at all, under which terms and for what price, will be for him to decide.

Batyra wrote:

My prototype (08) is soldered and the first run was made! You can listen to Duke Nukem with Ultrasound set on! Sounds nice 😀
For now the only issue is that you can hear it only once... when you run "test music" for the second time - it freezes.

Will try with different drivers (now I have 4.10 if remember correctly)

If I have understood correctly, I think you are using the wrong driver package. The most recent version of the DOS drivers for InterWave cards is 2.23 or so. You may be using the set for GF1 cards. Without iwinit to assign the card's resources, problems are possible. It may be worth installing that set, then the patch sets from the CD. Try that when you have time, and let us know if it works any better.

Last edited by 640K!enough on 2018-04-25, 21:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1855 of 3172, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
640K!enough wrote:

If I have understood correctly, I think you are using the wrong driver package. The most recent version of the DOS drivers for InterWave cards is 2.23 or so. You may be using the set for GF1 cards. Without iwinit to assign the card's resources, problems are possible. It may be worth installing that set, then the patch sets from the CD. Try that when you have time, and let us know if it works any better.

I'll do it. I didn't have time yet so I just loaded my PnP preset and run setup - all went OK. When running iwinit i got two identical lines "can't read message file"... so I'll try with 2.23.

But for wahat I heard it souds really nice!

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 1856 of 3172, by vittek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just restored a drill press and would be happy to make a batch of solid brackets from metal blanks in return for a PCB and Chip soldered on. I can solder the rest of components we can source ourselves. I’ve 3D printed ISA brackets and while they look cool, they are flimsy in comparison. I just need an engineering drawing of bracket hole placement and I could do a run.

Reply 1858 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3d printed bracket can be made in silver, and using a fold on the inside making it much stronger.
I don't see any issue with this.

Can also be printed in ABS, which is more durable.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 1859 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, I really don't get the bracket issue. Somewhere in the early posts it was agreed that we could harvest the brackets from readily available Vibra cards. Why don't we just implement that decision by choosing an ubiquitous Creative model and adjusting the ARGUS jacks so that they are in the needed order and offset?..

AWE64 Legacy