VOGONS

Reply 1980 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shock__ wrote:

Brackets: I'll get back to that ... I already have a printout of a proposed layout contributed by vittek, but that needs some minor adjustments (spacing between DSUB and audio jacks are fine, but the overall bracket is off). About distributing them ... I have to admit I have rather little interest in that ... we'll see at a later point, but don't expect miracles.

i can print them if needed.

EDIT: From keropi's thread, it looks like some versions of SETUP.EXE (and surely PNPMAP) need the CM on older machines, too. Disabling PnP support in hardware would prevent them from running on any machine. If one were using the CM just for the GUS/ARGUS, it shouldn't be required, except for running those tools (or similar applications). GUS and native InterWave software and games should run fine with no CM loaded.

i have at least 1 Machine who can not init the GUS and pnpmap will also not work on it.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 1981 of 3172, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry for the OT post, but I'm running out of ideas and this is probably the highest concentration of GUS enthusiasts I know of. If anyone in here knows what type of crystal I'd need to get my GUS classic 2.4 working, I'd really appreciate some input in my thread below. Also, what did that missing trimmer control? I can replace it but I won't know how it needs to be adjusted.

Need help repairing a Gravis Ultrasound Classic 2.4!

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1982 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote:

i have at least 1 Machine who can not init the GUS and pnpmap will also not work on it.

What is the configuration of that machine? What do you get when you try to run "iwinit -v9" on that system? Did you try "iwinit -v9 -hunt"?

If it isn't a Plug-and-Play compliant system, PNPMAP won't run, and later versions of SETUP.EXE won't either. That is just a limitation of the way they were implemented.

Reply 1983 of 3172, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally, I've read all the thread.
And I found no mentions of one more possible solution for mounting bracket. Make the bracket from PCB!
0.8 mm PCB will not be thicker than metal one. It will be sturdy enough, it will conduct and shield as metal one does. It can be fully custom AND it will be cheap! Also you can make it bare soldered metal or any color of stock soldermask.

Attachments

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.

Reply 1984 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone of you tested the -5V power generation under load so far? Best I can do at this point is just confirming it generally works via my PICMG board which has control LEDs (don't have any cards which require -5V).

About doing the brackets via FR4/PCB material ... I messaged you a while back, because I really like that approach - it's cheap, accessible, slightly "hacker style" and allows a variance of interesting designs (red backplate with golden Logo anyone?).

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 1985 of 3172, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

About doing the brackets via FR4/PCB material ... I messaged you a while back, because I really like that approach - it's cheap, accessible, slightly "hacker style" and allows a variance of interesting designs (red backplate with golden Logo anyone?).

You have messaged me about brackets?.. Hmmm... The last PM was from 30 Jun 2016 and I don't see anything about brackets there.
At any rate, source files for full profile and low profile mounting brackets are available here. If you don't mind notes on Russian. 😉

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.

Reply 1986 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
640K!enough wrote:
matze79 wrote:

What is the configuration of that machine? What do you get when you try to run "iwinit -v9" on that system? Did you try "iwinit -v9 -hunt"?

If it isn't a Plug-and-Play compliant system, PNPMAP won't run, and later versions of SETUP.EXE won't either. That is just a limitation of the way they were implemented.

Not yet, i can try on weekend.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc

Reply 1989 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did someone say ARGUS Prototype header time?

That's my attempt to transplant a DiskOnChip onto the Commodore PC-1 expansion bus (the connector is on the backside of the PCB in the picture) which is a slightly cut back ISA port with some signals missing and all power rails tied to ground sporting just 60 instead of 62 pins. Since I don't have such a machine (but a friend of mine does) this is my test setup on a Pentium grade machine. It's basically attached like an 8K Flash-ROM, but seems to be a lot more critical when it comes to timing which is why I'm currently reworking the prototype which never worked reliable (neither on the ARGUS header, nor on the PC-1).

Attachments

• headers.jpg
    Filename
    headers.jpg
    File size
    208.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 1990 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shock__ wrote:

Has anyone of you tested the -5V power generation under load so far? Best I can do at this point is just confirming it generally works via my PICMG board which has control LEDs (don't have any cards which require -5V).

it works on my system.
i feed-5v on my k6-2 system which uses atx supply.
i only have postcard which shows voltages 😀

Reply 1991 of 3172, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,

I want to ask. I made a modest donation to this project in 2017, 15 april. Tell please do I have chance to buy a card or not? If I must to donate again I'll do it.
Thank you very much.

Reply 1992 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my understanding, you are already entitled to order up to three cards when the production run takes place. I am not sure if a firm date for the production run has been chosen. There was some discussion of a small, cheap prototype run to validate the revisions to the design, but they were relatively minor, so it's unclear if shock__ wants to be extra-cautious, or if the production run will be the next step.

Reply 1994 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

at this point unless shock___ has an extra beta pcb for sale available you can't do anything (these were/are only for supporters)
when he makes the final pcbs then he will post and we will all get what we want , for now we wait 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1997 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to use SBOS and co only for Digital ? so i can use a OPL2 Card with the GUS togehter ?

Reply 1998 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know of any official options to disable only the OPL2 emulation with IWSBOS. There is an option to disable the entire Sound Blaster emulation functionality, but nothing more.

I haven't tried this yet, but it may work to set the relevant resources to 0 in the INI files. This may succeed in disabling only the desired portions, if the software is flexible enough.

Reply 1999 of 3172, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote:

Is it possible to use SBOS and co only for Digital ? so i can use a OPL2 Card with the GUS togehter ?

Remember that the OPL2 was also accessible via 220h, iirc. So you might only succeed if the software used 388h to access the OPL2.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC