VOGONS

Reply 1520 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Parts ordered 😀

Can't await to build it!

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 1521 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any success/failure stories of completed prototypes so far?
cyclone3d/640k!enough/QBiN did your prototypes arrive yet?

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 1522 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't started building yet - I have the components except the 20K/2.2K/2.2uf ones - I ordered them today.
I believe I'll start soldering one board tomorrow but programming the ROM will take some time as I have no SOP44 adapter.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1523 of 3172, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I git mine last week. I haven't had time to do anything with it yet though due to work and other pressing matters.

I'm going to try to get the parts ordered this week or next week.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1524 of 3172, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

my caps should arrive every day now and i can finish it this week. still need a better sub-d connector then. I'm currently working at a slot-blade which I'm gonna 3d-print.

ArGUS Parts list: http://bit.ly/2Ddf89V

Reply 1525 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

No sign of it yet. Canada Post has been rather irregular in recent years; sometimes parcels arrive surprisingly quickly, and other times they take months. I've been waiting over a month for a shipment of ROM module prototype boards, too.

Reply 1526 of 3172, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do i see correctly that jp5 is 2 separate bridges (pin1+2 and pin3+4) or is it 1 bridge over the 4pins (1+2+3+4) ?

Should i only solder jp0,1,2,3 when i use ram ? I'm planning on only using a simm. What size can i take? 1MB or 4MB?

Actual pic of completed board:
http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_20180122_181934ogrx3.jpg

Reply 1527 of 3172, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

Any success/failure stories of completed prototypes so far?

I am still waiting for some parts: ROM, solder paste, some caps.
And I will try to solder the SMD parts with solder paste and a heat gun. Hope this works flawlessly.

Reply 1528 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

JP4 & JP5 are set correct.
It's 2 seperate bridges for 29F800 or 1 bridge going over 3 pads for the IW78C21M1

For the SIMM I'd recommend going with the full 16MB ... but -since you're a beta tester- you're free to test all you've got 😀

[Z?]

Reply 1529 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Expanding on my previous comment, I decided to order a smaller set of cheaper boards last week, since the original order has been delayed so long. Those have arrived via express shipping. I don't have enough parts to build many at the moment, but I did assemble one GUS ROM module.

The revision 2 prototype does appear to work. The first unit I have assembled has a 2 MiB instrument set, based on the 4 MiB Eye & I set, but this time μ-law encoded. I haven't tested extensively yet, but so far I haven't been treated to a light show, magic smoke or any peculiar behaviour. My impression so far is that sound quality falls somewhere between full 16-bit quality and linear 8-bit. I can upload a few samples if there is interest.

I didn't re-order the module for the ARGUS to keep the cost down, but that isn't a problem yet, since I don't have that board, either. I guess that testing will have to wait a while longer.

Reply 1530 of 3172, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so...I was testing the card using a 16M Ram.
img_20180123_1843534nqes.jpgimg_20180123_184456wcqz9.jpg

wrote eeprom (output just says nothing if correct? Or is that map output the "good" output??

img_20180123_185438gwqul.jpg

took drivers from
https://gona.mactar.hu/GRAVIS/#PnP
PNPV22B.ZIP

and installed. added like 3 times the "iwinit.exe" to my config files...I think it fails 1 time out of these 3, it's weird !?
img_20180123_190804bsq24.jpg
Run the config tool, sets up. but in game sound setups, it's not detected. what am i missing? or can someone send me some other drivers ?

duke 3d says that i should use irq7 or less (i did, still didn't work), doom2 configs, but no sound at all

Reply 1534 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As shock__ requested, the full output of iwinit -v9 would be helpful.

This may be obvious, but it may be worth mentioning just the same: the flash ROM should be programmed with an instrument bank before being soldered onto the board. It is currently not possible to write an instrument bank to the chip directly in place (in-circuit). That would be a very good reason for MIDI playback to fail in some instances, unless patches were loaded into RAM by the software. The card can be used without a ROM bank in place, but some software that wasn't specifically designed to handle that case may not work correctly. Using the included PLAY.EXE to test MIDI and MOD playback is probably a simpler approach. Test third-party games only once that is working.

Reply 1535 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also: Duke3D requesting an IRQ of 7 or lower is normal and bound to the sound system used by that game. Also (if anything else is alright) Duke3D would fail if it can't find an InterWave ROM (contents don't have to be the original ones).

[Z?]

Reply 1536 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

started populating a card - no surprises so far! 😀

7GAU1N6l.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1538 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks! 😁
tbh it's not amazing - but it's not bad either , maybe if I had better tools it would be even prettier... maybe some day I'll find out 🤣

Reply 1539 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
640K!enough wrote:

No sign of it yet. Canada Post has been rather irregular in recent years; sometimes parcels arrive surprisingly quickly, and other times they take months. I've been waiting over a month for a shipment of ROM module prototype boards, too.

I got mine pretty rapidly, weird as we are in the same area.
Anyhow, did you already purchased all the required components ? I'd like to use your list and vendors so I can start to build mine.