User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
started populating a card - no surprises so far! :) […]
Show full quote

started populating a card - no surprises so far! 😀

7GAU1N6l.jpg

remember to solder all the sMDs first, then the bigger components like audio-out and big capacitors, as they will get in your way while soldering

ArGUS Parts list: http://bit.ly/2Ddf89V

Reply 1541 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ that's what I am doing - standard practice... only small smd components soldered for now

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1542 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Synoptic wrote:

I got mine pretty rapidly, weird as we are in the same area.

I don't think geography has anything to do with it. I suspect it may have something to do with the political motivations and/or ineptitude of the management at Canada Post. Then again, this isn't the postal complaints forum.

Synoptic wrote:

Anyhow, did you already purchased all the required components ? I'd like to use your list and vendors so I can start to build mine.

So far, I have only started thinking about building the list of parts. I am not planning on placing any orders until I have the board in my hands, so I didn't see any need to rush. In the worst case, if it isn't lost altogether or on its way back to Germany, I might see the board sometime in March/April.

On an unrelated note, in several hours of testing so far, the rev. 2 GUS ROM module hasn't caused so much as a pop, stutter or misplaced note; no magic smoke or vanishing banks to be found.

Reply 1543 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is something that has been worrying me for a little while. I'm not sure if I'm right, or if it's just a lack of understanding or omission on my part. If I am right, a small design revision may be advisable before the next production run.

This relates specifically to JP4 and JP5. These are used to connect RA20 and RA21 to the ROM, as well as provide mode selection functionality at the trailing edge of RESET#. They are bi-directional pins, yet we are talking about bridging them to 5V or ground. It seems that this would be an invitation to undefined behaviour, instability or eventual damage.

As it is, JP4 should be easy enough to deal with: just use a 4.7K (or 10K?) resistor instead of bridging the pads. JP5 is a little more complicated, due to the differences between the requirements of a standard SOP44 flash ROM and the InterWave. For those using the original masked ROM or who plan to use a ROM module, the solution isn't too bad: use a resistor, as just mentioned, to connect pins 3 and 4, then connect a bodge wire from pin 2 to pin 4. If you're using the 29F800, use a resistor for pins 3-4, and connect 1-2 however you like (but a resistor probably wouldn't be a bad idea). If you've adopted a different SOP44 chip, then it will depend on the requirements of that particular chip.

It's worth mentioning that it may be inadvisable to follow these instructions before we have had a chance to discuss them further.

Reply 1544 of 3172, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I am too stupid.
A) card is outputting sound effects. that's good so far. I installed dark forces to test. selected GUS twice in sound setup, sound test files run. NO Music what so ever. Sound is ok.
what am I doing wrong?
what i did so far
- pnpmap.exe gravisnocd.rom
- shut down pc
- boot up pc
- took gravis pnp drivers, put on a diskette, install.exe. seems to be version 2.23.
- tested older drivers sth like 1.12. There, the similar setup detects RAM onboard, but can't test it, see screenshot. Went with the 2.23 drivers again.

I only own an old gravis non-plug and play card. There i have a program to emulate sound blaster, General midi etc. My drivers from the PnP seem to have some "iwsbos.bat" to emulate sb16 !? but doesn't work. and megaem.exe to configure an emulation, i set it to GUS internal, but doesn't output music when i select GM etc. I don't really understand the program.
Do i have to load something more ? Flash something more ?? Can someone provide a "Phreeze is just too stupid to install it so here is a step by damn step tutorial"-instructions ?
All pics. also shown the old 1.12 drivers which don't detect ram and later don't detect the card at all 🤣...

Edit: iwinit -v9 @pictures, seems ok

p1000024bjp2d.jpg p1000025yxpia.jpg p1000026nrrga.jpg p1000027t1oud.jpg p100002814q6x.jpg p10000294gpou.jpg

Reply 1545 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ have you programmed the 29f800 eeprom with the GUS PnP romdata? This eeprom holds the default sample set, if it is not programmed then this would explain why you get no music

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1546 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

^ have you programmed the 29f800 eeprom with the GUS PnP romdata? This eeprom holds the default sample set, if it is not programmed then this would explain why you get no music

That's what I mentioned yesterday, and now the output proves it. IWINIT is not finding any ROM banks, and IWSBOS is aborting because it can't find the SBOS chunk in ROM. The flash chip is either blank or doesn't contain valid instrument data.

However, if the old UltraSound patch set is installed, some software will know to use that.

EDIT: For anyone who owns a flash programmer but doesn't have access to the original ROM data, there is an old (incomplete, but freely available) ROM image that you can use for testing on page 59 of this thread.

Last edited by 640K!enough on 2018-01-24, 20:56. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1547 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could try dumping the ROM space using the dump tool by wbcbz7 - in case you programmed the ROM before hand.
What's the organization of your RAM? Does the RAM check on 2.23 work?

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 1548 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll just write my thoughts about the future design of the card , maybe some is good ideas 😀

a. regarding the U0 and U1 dram option
I propose it is not included on the final version, sockets for this require special equipment and tbh the simm socket with a 16mb stick will be cheaper and easier to solder.

b. regarding the IW rom
Since there is no way for us to buy an original rom (or even the contents since nothing came out of it) , is there any other eeprom that can be used and is easier to program/handle than the 29F800 ? Maybe even a larger DIP version that will allow experimenting with new romdata as well?
There will be plenty of space left after U0 and U1 option goes away and since jumpers JP4 & JP5 will be obsolete maybe an ultra-safe way of driving the eeprom can be implemented (IMHO 640K!enough did raise a good point, maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in on this to debunk or propose better ways of handling this)

Reply 1549 of 3172, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

damn....i haven't programmed the 29f800 🙁 how damn stupid am I ..... (than there's the question what file to program on it?? )

the 2.23 driver install doesn't have the ram check it seems !?

Reply 1550 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Phreeze wrote:

damn....i haven't programmed the 29f800 🙁 how damn stupid am I ..... (than there's the question what file to program on it?? )

If you know how to remove the chip and have a flash programmer, it's not too late. If you're not experienced in removal of that type of chip, Chip-Quik makes a kit that can make the process easier. To start with, you can try the file I mentioned on page 59.

Reply 1551 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Phreeze wrote:

the 2.23 driver install doesn't have the ram check it seems !?

oh that's unfortunate... you'll have to desolder it in order to program it 😵
My proposal is to actually destroy this eeprom chip if you don't have a hot-air work station (cut the legs and then safely desolder them one by one and then program and solder a new chip)

Reply 1552 of 3172, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i'll see if i have another 29f800, i don't think so. i have a GQ-4X programming tool. I think i'll get another 29f from a local shop if they have them

Reply 1553 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Phreeze wrote:

i'll see if i have another 29f800, i don't think so. i have a GQ-4X programming tool. I think i'll get another 29f from a local shop if they have them

For SMD removal, there is a kit available from Digi-Key (part number SMD1-ND). There are others, but this is the only one I have tried (removed a chip similar to the InterWave from a home-etched board). Keropi's suggestion may be cheaper, though, if you can destroy the chip safely (without damage to the board) and find another one locally.

Do you have the adaptor to program SOP44 chips for your programmer?

Reply 1554 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

a. regarding the U0 and U1 dram option
I propose it is not included on the final version, sockets for this require special equipment and tbh the simm socket with a 16mb stick will be cheaper and easier to solder.

There is no need to remove the option altogether. For those who have to find, buy and test SIMMs, plus buy the socket, it won't save much compared to using two SOJ chips without sockets. The sockets should be manageable, if you find the right model. There are some Amphenol models that have an open frame that should make soldering easy enough.

keropi wrote:

b. regarding the IW rom
Since there is no way for us to buy an original rom (or even the contents since nothing came out of it) , is there any other eeprom that can be used and is easier to program/handle than the 29F800 ? Maybe even a larger DIP version that will allow experimenting with new romdata as well?
There will be plenty of space left after U0 and U1 option goes away and since jumpers JP4 & JP5 will be obsolete maybe an ultra-safe way of driving the eeprom can be implemented (IMHO 640K!enough did raise a good point, maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in on this to debunk or propose better ways of handling this)

This has been the whole point of the ROM module sub-project. I am currently using TSOP48 ICs, but once the module is assembled, it is easy enough to handle and re-program. Progress has been slow because of my contrained budget and due to the fact that Canada Post is sitting on my parcels (hopefully not literally!), but we'll get there.

The module for the GUS PnP is like an over-sized DIP IC. It is re-programmable and only takes a few minutes to assemble.

EDIT: Also, the problem with trying to use a DIP part is that they are rather difficult to find in capacities larger than about 512 KiB, meaning an absolute maximum of 2 MiB of ROM across four banks, to say nothing of trying to place those chips.

Reply 1555 of 3172, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:
started populating a card - no surprises so far! :) […]
Show full quote

started populating a card - no surprises so far! 😀

7GAU1N6l.jpg

Looks pretty good so far. Generally nice fillets on the passives, although CA1 might be a little bit bubble gummy (might also be the picture).

The SOIC chips you have down look fantastic and clean. Drag technique?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1556 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I will check CA1 , maybe a bit too much solder on it
I did not use the drag technique on the soic chips - nothing special really. The Interwave IC was soldered by shock___ , this is beyond my skill atm 😁

Reply 1557 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've actually learned to do drag soldering while assembling the 15 prototypes.
gdjacobs was commenting on your soldering tho 😉 SOIC is the package for the smaller SMDs, the InterWave is QFP

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 1558 of 3172, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

^ I will check CA1 , maybe a bit too much solder on it
I did not use the drag technique on the soic chips - nothing special really. The Interwave IC was soldered by shock___ , this is beyond my skill atm 😁

I thought that was the case. I seem to remember that shock was going to do the Interwave chip which is probably a good idea. Soldering a fine pitch QFP chip like that isn't something most people have a lot of experience with.

As he said, I was referring to the four dual inline SOIC chips which look to be very well aligned and very cleanly soldered. Nice, indeed.

I wouldn't worry too much about CA1. The joint looks to be complete. I just find proper solder fillets to be sexy.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1559 of 3172, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

and ofc i don't have the adapter for the 29F800 so i'm completely lost now unless someone burns me a chip...what a mess...(best would be 3 chips as i want to get 2 more..)