Newly made Gravis Ultrasound compatible cards ... what's the degree of interest?

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Re: Newly made Gravis Ultrasound compatible cards ... what's the degree of interest?

Postby hard1k » 2017-11-03 @ 21:56

shock__ wrote:MIDITXD and MIDIRXD via headers, while the joystick stuff can be left as is? Sure, why not.

Great, thanks!
Yes, only these 2 traces, reserved for possible future use - soldered in by default (so that the MIDITXD and MIDIRXD go to the InterWave), but with the possibility to solder a header, break into them and alter the routing.
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted at Amibay)
hard1k
Oldbie

Re: Newly made Gravis Ultrasound compatible cards ... what's the degree of interest?

Postby hard1k » 2017-11-03 @ 23:57

shock__ wrote:EDIT: From the InterWave or DSUB?

In between :)
4 holes (2 per each trace). The suggested aim is that a daughterboard could connect to the pair that goes to DSUB, breaking into the traces (thus leaving the corresponding signals from the InterWave as dead ends).

EDIT: in the picture DB means DSUB.
Attachments
MIDIIO.png
MIDIIO.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 253 times
hard1k
Oldbie

Postby hard1k » 2017-11-04 @ 01:20

And another minor thing to correct :) Please forgive my being so perfectionist :D

In the text regarding prototyping stuff the preposition "on" should be replaced with "at":
https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions ... r-own-risk
hard1k
Oldbie

Postby shock__ » 2017-11-04 @ 02:40

hard1k wrote:And another minor thing to correct :) Please forgive my being so perfectionist :D

In the text regarding prototyping stuff the preposition "on" should be replaced with "at":
https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions ... r-own-risk
fixed
shock__
Oldbie

Postby shock__ » 2017-11-04 @ 05:20

hard1k wrote:
shock__ wrote:EDIT: From the InterWave or DSUB?

In between :)
4 holes (2 per each trace). The suggested aim is that a daughterboard could connect to the pair that goes to DSUB, breaking into the traces (thus leaving the corresponding signals from the InterWave as dead ends).

EDIT: in the picture DB means DSUB.
https://i.imgur.com/OdGzpKK.jpg Hope that is alright, because I'm certainly not going there again!
shock__
Oldbie

Postby 640K!enough » 2017-11-04 @ 06:18

Would it be a relatively simple matter to bring RAHLD# down to an unused pin of X3?
640K!enough

Postby shock__ » 2017-11-04 @ 06:56

640K!enough wrote:Would it be a relatively simple matter to bring RAHLD# down to an unused pin of X3?
Probably not relatively simple, but certainly possible.
shock__
Oldbie

Postby hard1k » 2017-11-04 @ 08:13

shock__ wrote:https://i.imgur.com/OdGzpKK.jpg Hope that is alright, because I'm certainly not going there again!

Absolutely!

Another thing - is it possible to drill some hole(s) - at least one - for the plastic standoff(s) for DB mounting?
hard1k
Oldbie

Postby hard1k » 2017-11-04 @ 08:56

Question (a bit early one I guess, but just before I forgot) - what would be the convention for serial number distribution? RND? Alphabetical order of contributors? If it's the latter, I'm 7th (with shock__ as the # 0, I guess), so S/N 007, totally fine with that :D
hard1k
Oldbie

Postby wbc » 2017-11-04 @ 14:53

shock__ wrote:https://i.imgur.com/OdGzpKK.jpg Hope that is alright, because I'm certainly not going there again!

hm, what about placing pins from Interwave and connector sides near each own and using jumpers instead of 0-ohm resistors to route MIDI to DB15 if daugtherboard card is not installed?
--wbcbz7
wbc

Postby shock__ » 2017-11-04 @ 18:43

!RAHLD added to X3

Serial numbers will be drawn randomly, also I'll likely choose a system where people can't fight over who has the lowest.
Standoffs ... not really. Are there any standard ones that are easily obtainable? Also the huge X1/X2 connectors should provide enough structural integrity, along with the fact that the electrolytic capacitors will likely act as standoffs anyway (at least in the analog part of the card) ... depending on the design of the daughterboard.

WBC: those aren't 0-Ohm resistors. Also as of now all pinheaders (except for P54/MPC) are fully optional, meaning that all actual configuration is done by solder jumpers (which is something I'd like to keep that way). If people want to build their cards in a fashion that they're only fully operational combined with a daughterboard, I'm beyond the point where I care anymore. I could of course add even more headers or actual plug-jumpers, but would prefer to keep the card from becoming a jumper graveyard. Keep in mind, this card is supposed to be 100% compatible with the original GUS PnP - including all shortcomings like the lack of good Soundblaster support or a useful MIDI interface.

The only exception in that regard is the awesome and largely appreciated effort by 640K!enough regarding the development of an extended ROM module - primary due to the copyright situation and secondary due to the effort he already has delivered at this point.

This will also be the last time I'll respond to _any_ requests regarding additional headers/breakouts for this prototype, unless related to the ROM circuit.
shock__
Oldbie

Postby hard1k » 2017-11-04 @ 19:48

Just googled - those standoffs/spacers were much easier to find 2-3 years ago than nowadays. OK, nevermind then :)

And many thanks for implementing all other last minutes changes you received from us! The MIDITXD/RXD header is just fine as it is, no need in changing it. Anyone who designs a possible daughterboard will be able to adapt it to the current design, so no problem here.
hard1k
Oldbie

Postby 640K!enough » 2017-11-05 @ 03:19

shock__ wrote:This will also be the last time I'll respond to _any_ requests regarding additional headers/breakouts for this prototype, unless related to the ROM circuit.

You will get no more change requests from me before the prototype run. Of course, I already have every memory-related signal available, short of KITCHEN_SINK#, so you would hope I have what I need.
640K!enough

Postby shock__ » 2017-11-06 @ 16:42

Currently there'd be 3 people interested in a prototype (that is including me) ... is interest seriously that low?
shock__
Oldbie

Postby MrTentacleGuy » 2017-11-06 @ 17:36

shock__ wrote:Currently there'd be 3 people interested in a prototype (that is including me) ... is interest seriously that low?

I'm sure there are just people who don't feel like they could contribute to testing. I'm still interested in the card, but I'm not sure what I could add to the process.
MrTentacleGuy

Postby cyclone3d » 2017-11-06 @ 17:41

shock__ wrote:Currently there'd be 3 people interested in a prototype (that is including me) ... is interest seriously that low?

I guess I'd be up for a prototype. Not exactly sure what I could contribute other than testing different things to makes sure it works as expected though.
cyclone3d
Oldbie

Postby keropi » 2017-11-06 @ 19:26

I am also interested in a prototype - I just didn't think it was time yet to send a PM ... so make the cards 4 :)
It will also allow me to gauge the time that is needed to build one - main IC will come pre-soldered nothing changed there correct?
keropi
l33t++

Postby shock__ » 2017-11-06 @ 19:35

Yup, InterWave will come presoldered, unless you absolutely insist on soldering it yourself.
shock__
Oldbie

Postby the Goat » 2017-11-06 @ 20:03

I am greatly interested in the project overall. But I'm not confident I would be able to assist in a meaningful way in the time provided. I'm certainly in for the eventual production version.
the Goat

Postby kanecvr » 2017-11-06 @ 20:38

Also interested in the card, and I have the soldering skills and equipment to put one together.
kanecvr
Oldbie

PreviousNext

Return to Sound