Newly made Gravis Ultrasound compatible cards ... what's the degree of interest?

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Re: Newly made Gravis Ultrasound compatible cards ... what's the degree of interest?

Postby matze79 » 2018-10-04 @ 10:48

shock__ wrote:Brackets: I'll get back to that ... I already have a printout of a proposed layout contributed by vittek, but that needs some minor adjustments (spacing between DSUB and audio jacks are fine, but the overall bracket is off). About distributing them ... I have to admit I have rather little interest in that ... we'll see at a later point, but don't expect miracles.

i can print them if needed.

Code: Select all
EDIT: From keropi's thread, it looks like some versions of SETUP.EXE (and surely PNPMAP) need the CM on older machines, too. Disabling PnP support in hardware would prevent them from running on any machine. If one were using the CM just for the GUS/ARGUS, it shouldn't be required, except for running those tools (or similar applications). GUS and native InterWave software and games should run fine with no CM loaded.

i have at least 1 Machine who can not init the GUS and pnpmap will also not work on it.
https://www.dosreloaded.de - The German Retro DOS PC Community
https://www.retroianer.de
matze79
Oldbie

Re: Newly made Gravis Ultrasound compatible cards ... what's the degree of interest?

Postby Ozzuneoj » 2018-10-05 @ 04:18

Sorry for the OT post, but I'm running out of ideas and this is probably the highest concentration of GUS enthusiasts I know of. If anyone in here knows what type of crystal I'd need to get my GUS classic 2.4 working, I'd really appreciate some input in my thread below. Also, what did that missing trimmer control? I can replace it but I won't know how it needs to be adjusted.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=62786
Time Machine = FIC PA-2013 2.1 - K6-2 500 - 256MB PC-100 - TNT2 Pro 16MB AGP - Labway Yamaha YMF719-E - Midiman MM401
Amibay For Sale Threads
I have lots of PC stuff for sale on Mercari! Get a $10 sign up credit with invite code VBGQMM.
Ozzuneoj
Oldbie

Postby 640K!enough » 2018-10-05 @ 11:34

matze79 wrote:i have at least 1 Machine who can not init the GUS and pnpmap will also not work on it.

What is the configuration of that machine? What do you get when you try to run "iwinit -v9" on that system? Did you try "iwinit -v9 -hunt"?

If it isn't a Plug-and-Play compliant system, PNPMAP won't run, and later versions of SETUP.EXE won't either. That is just a limitation of the way they were implemented.
640K!enough

Postby Fagear » 2018-10-05 @ 14:46

Finally, I've read all the thread.
And I found no mentions of one more possible solution for mounting bracket. Make the bracket from PCB!
0.8 mm PCB will not be thicker than metal one. It will be sturdy enough, it will conduct and shield as metal one does. It can be fully custom AND it will be cheap! Also you can make it bare soldered metal or any color of stock soldermask.
Attachments
IMG_20181005_173834.jpg
FMonster, p1.mp4_snapshot_09.27_[2018.10.05_17.35.21].jpg
FMonster, p1.mp4_snapshot_03.57_[2018.10.05_17.34.58].jpg
Fagear

Postby shock__ » 2018-10-08 @ 15:40

Has anyone of you tested the -5V power generation under load so far? Best I can do at this point is just confirming it generally works via my PICMG board which has control LEDs (don't have any cards which require -5V).

About doing the brackets via FR4/PCB material ... I messaged you a while back, because I really like that approach - it's cheap, accessible, slightly "hacker style" and allows a variance of interesting designs (red backplate with golden Logo anyone?).
shock__
Oldbie

Postby Fagear » 2018-10-08 @ 16:44

shock__ wrote:About doing the brackets via FR4/PCB material ... I messaged you a while back, because I really like that approach - it's cheap, accessible, slightly "hacker style" and allows a variance of interesting designs (red backplate with golden Logo anyone?).

You have messaged me about brackets?.. Hmmm... The last PM was from 30 Jun 2016 and I don't see anything about brackets there.
At any rate, source files for full profile and low profile mounting brackets are available here. If you don't mind notes on Russian. :wink:
Fagear

Postby matze79 » 2018-10-11 @ 10:45

640K!enough wrote:
matze79 wrote:i have at least 1 Machine who can not init the GUS and pnpmap will also not work on it.

What is the configuration of that machine? What do you get when you try to run "iwinit -v9" on that system? Did you try "iwinit -v9 -hunt"?

If it isn't a Plug-and-Play compliant system, PNPMAP won't run, and later versions of SETUP.EXE won't either. That is just a limitation of the way they were implemented.

Not yet, i can try on weekend.
matze79
Oldbie

Postby Synoptic » 2018-10-16 @ 14:14

I am all in for PCB brackets !
Synoptic

Postby vittek » 2018-10-17 @ 19:23

Agreed! Super cool PCB brackets. The thought hadn't occurred to me. That's a great solution!
vittek

Postby shock__ » 2018-10-18 @ 10:48

Did someone say ARGUS Prototype header time?

That's my attempt to transplant a DiskOnChip onto the Commodore PC-1 expansion bus (the connector is on the backside of the PCB in the picture) which is a slightly cut back ISA port with some signals missing and all power rails tied to ground sporting just 60 instead of 62 pins. Since I don't have such a machine (but a friend of mine does) this is my test setup on a Pentium grade machine. It's basically attached like an 8K Flash-ROM, but seems to be a lot more critical when it comes to timing which is why I'm currently reworking the prototype which never worked reliable (neither on the ARGUS header, nor on the PC-1).
Attachments
headers.jpg
shock__
Oldbie

Postby matze79 » 2018-10-19 @ 15:38

shock__ wrote:Has anyone of you tested the -5V power generation under load so far? Best I can do at this point is just confirming it generally works via my PICMG board which has control LEDs (don't have any cards which require -5V).

About doing the brackets via FR4/PCB material ... I messaged you a while back, because I really like that approach - it's cheap, accessible, slightly "hacker style" and allows a variance of interesting designs (red backplate with golden Logo anyone?).

it works on my system.
i feed-5v on my k6-2 system which uses atx supply.
i only have postcard which shows voltages :)
matze79
Oldbie

Postby PARUS » 2018-11-01 @ 19:25

Hello,

I want to ask. I made a modest donation to this project in 2017, 15 april. Tell please do I have chance to buy a card or not? If I must to donate again I'll do it.
Thank you very much.
PARUS

Postby 640K!enough » 2018-11-01 @ 19:53

From my understanding, you are already entitled to order up to three cards when the production run takes place. I am not sure if a firm date for the production run has been chosen. There was some discussion of a small, cheap prototype run to validate the revisions to the design, but they were relatively minor, so it's unclear if shock__ wants to be extra-cautious, or if the production run will be the next step.
640K!enough

Postby PARUS » 2018-11-01 @ 20:37

I just don't know what I must to do. Should I wait when my turn will come (and how much time) or should I myself ask to sell me one card? I don't need three :)
PARUS

Postby keropi » 2018-11-01 @ 20:45

at this point unless shock___ has an extra beta pcb for sale available you can't do anything (these were/are only for supporters)
when he makes the final pcbs then he will post and we will all get what we want , for now we wait :)
keropi
l33t++

Postby PARUS » 2018-11-01 @ 20:50

Thank you all for explanation! I.e. wait...
PARUS

Postby pngo » 2018-11-13 @ 05:21

Illd buy one too when they are available :). Just showing intereset in this project.
pngo

Previous

Return to Sound