Newly made Gravis Ultrasound compatible cards ... what's the degree of interest?

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Re: Newly made Gravis Ultrasound compatible cards ... what's the degree of interest?

Postby matze79 » 2018-12-04 @ 11:20

no its only on 388h.
https://www.dosreloaded.de - The German Retro DOS PC Community
https://www.retroianer.de
matze79
Oldbie

Re: Newly made Gravis Ultrasound compatible cards ... what's the degree of interest?

Postby pand » 2018-12-05 @ 15:49

Hi,
First of all respect to all contributors to this project. I found it kinda late so had no chanse to contribute early enough to be eligible for a proptotype. Also, as I got from reading the thread, the number of AM78C201AKC is limited and reserved for the contributors. I was wondering if there would be a chance to buy at least a pcb itself, without the parts? I guess higher volume of pcbs would make the price per item lower and I am able to source the needed parts myself (actually already have some of them).
pand

Postby mateusz.viste » 2018-12-09 @ 15:15

Hello all, just to say that I released DOSMid v0.9.4 today. This version comes with GUS support (at least it works in DOSBox, don't have real hardware to test). Hopefully it should work with this awesome GUS clone you're building here guys. http://dosmid.sourceforge.net
mateusz.viste

Postby elianda » 2018-12-09 @ 15:53

Is it GUS or GUS PnP support?

1 MB GUS classic with pat, like cubic Player or 16 MB with fff files and Effects?
Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, HQ Videos.
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool
elianda
l33t

Postby mateusz.viste » 2018-12-09 @ 17:09

elianda wrote:Is it GUS or GUS PnP support?

1 MB GUS classic with pat, like cubic Player or 16 MB with fff files and Effects?

I have honestly no idea. DOSMid talks to the "ultramid" driver, don't know what this one talks to next.
mateusz.viste

Postby 640K!enough » 2018-12-09 @ 19:27

mateusz.viste wrote:
elianda wrote:Is it GUS or GUS PnP support?

I have honestly no idea. DOSMid talks to the "ultramid" driver, don't know what this one talks to next.

The idea, then, is that it isn't direct GUS support, but via ULTRAMID. This means that it is currently impossible to get maximum quality from any type of GUS. Unless I'm mistaken, GF1 cards don't usually support drum kits other than Standard via ULTRAMID.

For InterWave, it depends on the TSR that is loaded and the ROM configuration. Without ROM and a recent version of Mega-Em loaded, or with the older ULTRAMID TSR, the PAT files will be used. With ROM and recent Mega-Em loaded, it will use the ROM-based instrument bank (though somewhat poorly, as discussed previously). Mega-Em doesn't support additional drum kits, regardless of what is in the ROM, and doesn't use the effects features of the InterWave. Mega-Em doesn't support FFF/DAT bank files in any configuration that I know of.
640K!enough

Previous

Return to Sound