VOGONS

Reply 3121 of 3171, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
terryfi wrote on 2022-09-21, 21:41:

Thought this was interesting for followers of topic. Raspberry Pi Pico on ISA board to emulate GUS.
https://github.com/polpo/picogus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4iWSnTc9Ag&t=82s

polpo is a member here and has posted about this really nice project :

PicoGUS: ISA sound card emulator with Raspberry Pi Pico (Gravis Ultrasound, AdLib, MPU-401, Tandy, CMS)

Reply 3122 of 3171, by kdehl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Woohoo! I finally got a new batch of boards. The four of you who have contacted me about the boards will receive their boards shortly. I also have about ten or so boards that are still unsold if anyone else is interested.

david.e.larsson, and at you know, the very common mail domain of that large search engine. Yes, that is, gmail.com.

They are still $150 + shipping. Shipping to the US is $13 and to Europe $14.

Attachments

• IMG_1040.JPEG
    Filename
    IMG_1040.JPEG
    File size
    669.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_1032.JPEG
    Filename
    IMG_1032.JPEG
    File size
    765.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3123 of 3171, by Dr.Yak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kdehl wrote on 2022-09-29, 20:12:

Woohoo! I finally got a new batch of boards. {...} I also have about ten or so boards that are still unsold if anyone else is interested.

Is there anyone on this thread who could add the surface mounted component and resell the result to me?
And what would your extra fee be for the labour+parts?

Solved, thanks!

Reply 3127 of 3171, by kdehl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm terribly sorry, but apparently I might have missed some of you guys' email! 🙁

I just checked my spam box, something which I rarely (if ever!) do, and for some reason some of you that have contacted me about boards had ended up there! Stupid Google!

I have contacted the two of you that I found, but if there is anyone else who has contacted me and has not received a reply, please send me another mail. They do get deleted automatically within 30 days or so, so your mail might have disappeared. 🙁

Really sorry about this.

My mail is:

david.e.larsson .. and the at sign... and then, Google's mail. Dot com. Boards are still $150 + $13 shipping. Note that I have switched out the SIMM connector. It's angled now so it doesn't take up as much space as the old one did.

David

Attachments

• IMG_1130.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1130.jpeg
    File size
    888.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3128 of 3171, by florian3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently built an ARGUS card from the Gerber files and since I didn't have any spare bracket I looked into 3D printing.
I made a 3D model based on Whiskey's PDF and got it printed by JLCPCB.
If anyone is interested in the model please let me know (Disclaimer: I don't know CAD).
Update: STL model file

Here are some pictures of the results.

Top to bottom:
Vibra 16 bracket ($15 on ebay incl dirty untested card)
Black ABS print ($3)
Silver SLM (Metal) print ($8)
Black SLA (Resin) print ($1)

brackets2.jpg
Filename
brackets2.jpg
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File comment
All brackets
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Attachments

• brackets4.jpg
    Filename
    brackets4.jpg
    File size
    253.02 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Card with Vibra bracket
    File license
  • brackets5.jpg
    Filename
    brackets5.jpg
    File size
    242.22 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Card with metal print bracket
    File license
  • brackets3.jpg
    Filename
    brackets3.jpg
    File size
    296.69 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Card with resin print bracket
    File license
Last edited by florian3 on 2022-12-20, 14:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3129 of 3171, by IcySon55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
florian3 wrote on 2022-12-15, 19:35:
I recently built an ARGUS card from the Gerber files and since I didn't have any spare bracket I looked into 3D printing. I made […]
Show full quote

I recently built an ARGUS card from the Gerber files and since I didn't have any spare bracket I looked into 3D printing.
I made a 3D model based on Whiskey's PDF and got it printed by JLCPCB.
If anyone is interested in the model please let me know (Disclaimer: I don't know CAD).

Silver SLM (Metal) print ($8)

The Silver SLM (Metal) print looks pretty nice. Though given my case is black I'll probably go for the Resin print. No wait, all of my other cards are smooth metal... steal a bracket from another card... 🤣

Reply 3130 of 3171, by florian3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got some questions about the bracket in a private message, unfortunately I don't seem to have permissions to respond there.
I added a link to the model file to my first post. After JLCPCB reviewed the file they told me that there may be imperfections because of the wall thickness. I told them that's ok and I think the results are good.
The thickness of the bracket is 1.2mm. I don't know if that fits in every case, but works fine with mine.

Overall I think the metal print is best. It's very rigid which helps because it's only held by the game port screws.
The resin print looks very good, is cheap but is the most flexible. It still works fine in practice because once it's mounted in a case the ISA slot and the fact that it's screwed to the case helps to prevent it from bending. If I would be unplugging things constantly it might be an issue though.
The ABS print is a bit more rigid but I think it looks worst.

Reply 3131 of 3171, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know much about printed metal... how hard would it be to sand one to a smooth finish? Is that even possible with that kind of material?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 3132 of 3171, by florian3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-12-20, 19:22:

I don't know much about printed metal... how hard would it be to sand one to a smooth finish? Is that even possible with that kind of material?

There are some youtube videos from people testing and also polishing 3d printed metal and you can get it shiny.

Reply 3133 of 3171, by kdehl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
florian3 wrote on 2022-12-20, 14:25:
I got some questions about the bracket in a private message, unfortunately I don't seem to have permissions to respond there. I […]
Show full quote

I got some questions about the bracket in a private message, unfortunately I don't seem to have permissions to respond there.
I added a link to the model file to my first post. After JLCPCB reviewed the file they told me that there may be imperfections because of the wall thickness. I told them that's ok and I think the results are good.
The thickness of the bracket is 1.2mm. I don't know if that fits in every case, but works fine with mine.

Overall I think the metal print is best. It's very rigid which helps because it's only held by the game port screws.
The resin print looks very good, is cheap but is the most flexible. It still works fine in practice because once it's mounted in a case the ISA slot and the fact that it's screwed to the case helps to prevent it from bending. If I would be unplugging things constantly it might be an issue though.
The ABS print is a bit more rigid but I think it looks worst.

Hah! I had the same problem until now, when I'm finally able to send a private message. The brackets look awesome! I'm going to order a metal one from JLC. Thanks a lot!

David

Reply 3134 of 3171, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For some reasons all 16.9344mhz crystal have disappear from serious supplyer in Canada lately 🤣. But I found that you might get them for a dime a dozen from China using aliexpress. Of course specs are not precise so we dont know load capacitance or equivalence resistance, maybe it's not much of a concern ? Price is ridicurous but the delay... so I would like to know your advice, is it worth it or should I search elsewhere ? Any suggestion ? Thank you ! Long URL to aliexpress xtal.

:EDIT:
Just want to add that I also contacted Synoptic@micronick and he promptly pointed me a source I missed on mouser.ca. So if someone tell us what those Mainland's resonators worth, it wont be me.

Last edited by ElBrunzy on 2022-12-23, 05:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3136 of 3171, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the rom mandatory for the argus to function ? I never used the rom on my guspnp (or so I think). I was reading the 2018 prototype building around page 80 and my attention got attracted by the Keropy's one. He did some test with a 16mb stick but no rom so I assumed U31 is mandatory, but I'm in doubt. It's some trouble I might like to avoid or postpone if the use of the rom is only to host the AMDGM_1_1_(1) patchset and complement incomplete FFF/DAT soundbank. If it's the case, does U32/U33 are necessary too ? I will probably get a smt socket (like the Yamaichi IC179Z-44 shock__'s recommending) and an adapter for the tl866ii+ and end up doing it anyway, but is it safe/useful to test the argus

Reply 3137 of 3171, by florian3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElBrunzy wrote on 2022-12-26, 16:53:

Is the rom mandatory for the argus to function ?

I tested mine without the rom and latches and it worked fine for things that don't use the rom.

If you end up getting a 29F800 make sure you check the spec sheet of the chip if you want to avoid doing modifications as described here. The Micron/Alliance Memory M29F800 that mouser and digikey have in stock didn't work for me without modification, so I used AMD AM29F800 that I got on ebay.

Reply 3139 of 3171, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thank you very much florian3 for the information and the precision about the rom. For sure I missed that forum bit and had probably ordered those rom from mouser/digikey. You most likely saved me some times and money here ! I was thinking about ordering something like those. It seem there is different offer of the AM29F800[BB/BT]-70[SE/SI], I would be interested to know the one who worked in your case when you'll have the time.

RockstarRunner, thanks for your input although I hopefully did not had to rely on such edgy fix.