VOGONS

Reply 3160 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TimWolf wrote on 2023-08-08, 19:12:

Just picked this one up on eBay. What bracket do I need? Does anyone have them, or can I just take one off some other sound card?

Thanks in advance.
TW

Oh ! One of "mines" 😜

I'm bringing my last board + full components needed to build it at #VCFMW. I'll try to think about doing something entertaining with it there.

Curious how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Synoptic on 2023-08-14, 17:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3161 of 3172, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

137.90 US dollars. I hated being late to the project. I don't know if I overpaid, probably did. I still have to get all the parts. I've been wanting one of these forever and a day to use for music production. I think I'm an artist, but life doesn't agree all the time.

Reply 3162 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TimWolf wrote on 2023-08-14, 18:07:

137.90 US dollars. I hated being late to the project. I don't know if I overpaid, probably did. I still have to get all the parts. I've been wanting one of these forever and a day to use for music production. I think I'm an artist, but life doesn't agree all the time.

Not that bad honestly.

Reply 3163 of 3172, by terryfi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TimWolf wrote on 2023-08-14, 18:07:

We overpaid too maybe 30% less in the first round. If our business minded friends didn't drain all Interwave chip supplies we could get a PCB with main chip for 30 USD or less.
These sellers just don't want to admit that they did the exact same thing scalpers do.

Reply 3164 of 3172, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
terryfi wrote on 2023-08-15, 00:19:

We overpaid too maybe 30% less in the first round. If our business minded friends didn't drain all Interwave chip supplies we could get a PCB with main chip for 30 USD or less.
These sellers just don't want to admit that they did the exact same thing scalpers do.

I think you're confused about what scalpers do. Scalpers don't buy something, build an amazing product around it, then sell it at a very reasonable price given the quality and cost of producing it.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3165 of 3172, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The scarcity was always going to happen one way or the other. It's happened to other chips before and it will happen to other chips after. Responsibility for that scarcity does not fall upon a few boutique makers at the very tail end of a given market.

The modest wage (at best) provided by servicing a small-scale very niche boutique market is hardly motivation to racketeer.

Reply 3166 of 3172, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2023-08-15, 03:23:

The scarcity was always going to happen one way or the other. It's happened to other chips before and it will happen to other chips after. Responsibility for that scarcity does not fall upon a few boutique makers at the very tail end of a given market.

The modest wage (at best) provided by servicing a small-scale very niche boutique market is hardly motivation to racketeer.

But it is much more important WHEN would have the scarcity happened. Within our lives or later. I am particularly reluctant to buy ICs from one particular ebay reseller who obviously is making some 1000% profit of these specific chips ). I can live without GUS sound (SB plays decently too) of these 20 or so few games that sound a bit better on GUS.

Reply 3167 of 3172, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And then there also is polpo's PicoGUS by now. Cheap to make and I'd say it is or at least is getting very close to the original also. So noone really needs to feel left behind about a GUS(-like) card now anymore.

Reply 3168 of 3172, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For me it was expressly intended to have clean tracker audio for my own music production. I did pretty good work in the 90s and then my parents split up throwing my life in to chaos. I ended up married at 19, four kids later, life finds me with 18 - 25 year olds, that shouldn't need so much attention and the desire to get back to what I was up to. Digital late 80's and early 90's music with strong vocals. Got myself an Atari ST, and a few other devices. Hope this helps me make some good art again. Working on the mouser order to populate it out.

Reply 3169 of 3172, by crusher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there proud ARGUS owners 😀

Sorry if it was already discussed here. But I really can't read all 159 pages.
Does anyone now how to get rid of the click sound when ARGUS is initializing and stopping?

//Edit:
My original GUS PnP doesn't make that clicking/popping sounds in the same system.
So it has to be something ARGUS related.

Reply 3170 of 3172, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When does it click exactly? With what program? My genuine GUSpnp always makes a few clicks during initialization when I run IWINIT or UNISOUND.

Reply 3171 of 3172, by crusher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IWINIT makes no clicking sound.
But when GUS starts to play some music than I have a short but annoying clicking/popping sound through speaker. Doesn't matter if it's a game, music tracker or demoscene production. When GUS stops playing sound theres also a click/pop.

I can't remember exactly where. But shock posted in another forum a recorded comparison between ARGUS and original GUS running 2nd Reality demo.
On ARGUS you can clearly here the click/pop.
So shock was aware of this. Don't know if this could be solved.

//Edit:
Found the thread. But it's german:

https://dosreloaded.de/forum/thread/290-gus-p … hread/?pageNo=1

Translated quote:

"What is not yet running or causing problems:
- The reset/init of the card is clearly audible - i.e. before the card emits sound you hear a crack/click once"

Reply 3172 of 3172, by Necronomfive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

great project, I have one question: are by any chance also the schematics available?

The reason I am asking is that I actually want to design an Amiga version of this card. For me, the digital part (zorro<>isa bus interface, autoconfig, etc) is not the issue, but I would like to know how the circuit design of the analogue output looks like.

Besides that, any tips on how to still source the Interwave Chip?

Thanks!