Simmconn AWE64 Adapter

Topic actions

Reply 340 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Jumper is set wrong for 32mb on the photo it should have been 2-3 for both Jp1 and Jp2 (at least on my Value board) you shorted 3 on Jp1 and Jp2 with each other?

That's right !!!
On the universal board the positions should always be 2-3 for both JP1 and JP2 !!
I must have jumper dyslexion or something 😢 😒 ... or soldering smoke delirium...
I may have shipped a few with the jumper placed in the wrong position.... my apologies !!
If you have received a simmconn from me, please check jumper positions before installing !!
I guess the 'incompatibility list' will look different too, once the jumpers are set correctly... 🤣

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 341 of 549, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
the Goat wrote:

I have been unable to get either of my simmconns to work 🙁 I have tried multiple 32MB simms, FPM & EDO, 60ns timing on both. I am trying to use them with a AWE64 Gold CT4390. To verify the simmconn functionality, I am running the diagnose.exe program and it detects the built in 4MB every time.

Pictures: Installed, simms

Jumper is set wrong for 32mb on the photo it should have been 2-3 for both Jp1 and Jp2 (at least on my Value board) you shorted 3 on Jp1 and Jp2 with each other?

I thought I had seen posts in this thread stating the JP1 & JP2 shorted on pin three as the preferred setting for the universal simmconn with a 32MB simm. But I in fact did try configuring it with 2-3 on JP1 & JP2. . . same result, only 4MB is detected. I will try again tonight.

Reply 342 of 549, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dreamblaster wrote:
That's right !!! On the universal board the positions should always be 2-3 for both JP1 and JP2 !! I must have jumper dyslexion […]
Show full quote

That's right !!!
On the universal board the positions should always be 2-3 for both JP1 and JP2 !!
I must have jumper dyslexion or something 😢 😒 ... or soldering smoke delirium...
I may have shipped a few with the jumper placed in the wrong position.... my apologies !!
If you have received a simmconn from me, please check jumper positions before installing !!
I guess the 'incompatibility list' will look different too, once the jumpers are set correctly... 🤣

After reading this post, I went back to testing my SIMMConn and tried both the single jumper in all three blocks and having two jumpers in the 2-3 position, still no change. However, I've just noticed that the MemoryMasters SIMM has a tighter fit than the (broken) Fairchild SIMM so I wonder if a looser fit has a better chance of going in correctly. Just in case it is the RAM that's causing problems for me, I bought this eBay listing which - according to the pictures - shows that the RAM sticks have SIEMENS HYB5117405BJ-60 chips which are actually on the green OK list. If it still doesn't work then the possibility of my SIMMConn being defective stands.

BloodyCactus wrote:

I have a CT4500, and I have on my new simmconn the MemoryMasters 32MB EDO SIMM 72PIN (has HY5117404B chips) that you have.

I load ctcm.exe from config.sys, ctpnp.cfg must be c:\ everything works fine for me.

Out of curiosity did you have issues getting it to work without ctpnp.cfg in your root C:\ directory? Does your system have Windows 9x installed? If so then does your RAM show up properly on the AWE Control Panel? Seems a bit strange that you have the same stick and the same card as me yet yours actually works. Guess I have one more trick to try (copying ctpnp.cfg onto my C:\ root).

I plan on going to RE-PC sometime this month, if they happen to have some spare AWE64 cards in their sound card bin, I'll be sure to pick a couple up just in case there's something wrong with the memory expansion connector on mine.

Reply 343 of 549, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
BloodyCactus wrote:

I have a CT4500, and I have on my new simmconn the MemoryMasters 32MB EDO SIMM 72PIN (has HY5117404B chips) that you have.

I load ctcm.exe from config.sys, ctpnp.cfg must be c:\ everything works fine for me.

Out of curiosity did you have issues getting it to work without ctpnp.cfg in your root C:\ directory? Does your system have Windows 9x installed? If so then does your RAM show up properly on the AWE Control Panel? Seems a bit strange that you have the same stick and the same card as me yet yours actually works. Guess I have one more trick to try (copying ctpnp.cfg onto my C:\ root).

ctcm loads ctpnp.cfg from its current working directory, so what I do is go into \sb16, run ctcu etc. when I'm done just copy ctpnp.cfg to c:\ because running ctcm from config.sys, the working directory is c:\

I think there is a way of setting its load dir but I never bother, this works for me.

I run dos 99.9999% more than windows, so I let ctcm do the work. I had no issues in windows but I rarely ever use it. I only did a quick test. no problems showed itself. awe diagnose.exe tested all the memory fine. awemp loaded mods into its ram, played fine. awe control panel showed 28mb.

machine I tested on was a 486dx4-100 SBC with 128mb ram and a 3com pnp nic. nothing else.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 344 of 549, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just spent an hour trying every jumper configuration with both types of memory on both of my simmconns and the diagnostic program always reported 4MB.

Possible reasons for the failure:

• My memory might be in compatible. I'll wait and see if KCompRoom2000 has good results with his purchase before I buy new memory.
  • My awe64 gold could be defective
  • I could be installing it wrong?
  • the Simmconns could be bad
  • Universal Simmconns could be incompatible with the ct4390 -- maybe the Simmconns gold would work?
Last edited by the Goat on 2017-11-07, 14:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 345 of 549, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well mine doesn't work either apparently.. I actually own one of the original SiMMConn's, the ones created by Luck Star Co, LTD, for the AWE64 Value. I made a series of videos but basically, same jumpers in the same position on both PCB's, exact same memory module (Kingston) on both PCB cards. Works at full capacity on the original SIMMConn, does not work at all on the SIMMConn Revival card.

I made two little videos to demonstrate this. See here.

Original SIMMConn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POrBjdxi7vY

Revival card: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8tBilitOHc

I'm not quite sure what to think of this..... kinda sad 😢 😒 Mine's supposed to be the universal one.

Reply 346 of 549, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Universal is a bit pickier about model and ram it seems..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 347 of 549, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Universal is a bit pickier about model and ram it seems..

Hopefully the 'universal' model is the issue.

dreamblaster: Is it possible for me to convert my universal simmconns to the gold version? I have a TL866A programmer. But only a basic soldering iron.

Reply 348 of 549, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so I have a few different models of the AWE64.

I'll do testing on all of them once I get some time. Might be a few days, and not sure that the SIMMs I purchased are compatible yet.

I do have a few other 72-pin SIMMs but not sure if any of them are 32MB or not, but I can verify the size and functionality with a motherboard that has 72-pin SIMM slots.

Seems really strange that even after testing that some people are having issues with the Universal model.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 349 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the Goat wrote:

dreamblaster: Is it possible for me to convert my universal simmconns to the gold version? I have a TL866A programmer. But only a basic soldering iron.

It will be fiddly to swap the chip.

Let's investigate first, if we can find the cause and a solution, can get universal to work.

Some people seem to have no issue with the universal, so maybe it is a specific soundcard mod
I see bloodycactus' photo, the jumper positions are wrong, but still it work : JP1 and JP2 both bridging position 2-3.
But I am not sure if this matters for the problem.

If it is related to universal, and we have no workaround, I will send just you a new gold, no worry.
GOLD and VALUE should be identical to the original SIMMCONN. The universal is the experimental 'ALL' firmware.
A few vogoners tested this first, and it seemed OK, so I have hope we can get it working or at least find out exactly which soundcard / memory /... combination works or does not work.

Any universal user, tune in to this topic and let us know how it works for you.

Reply 350 of 549, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dreamblaster wrote:

Some people seem to have no issue with the universal, so maybe it is a specific soundcard mod
I see bloodycactus' photo, the jumper positions are wrong, but still it work : JP1 and JP2 both bridging position 2-3.
But I am not sure if this matters for the problem.

i never changed the jumper, 🤣. i mean.. it works so? such a wierd situation.
I dont have any other 32mb sticks I can test, only like 64+128's 😒

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 351 of 549, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With me I don't have any other sticks to test I don't think.. I thought I had more kingston 32MB ones but not finding any now that I looked last night.

But the one I have, I demonstrated it works with the original simmconn, so it should with this one. Which is most confusing for me.

Reply 352 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

With me I don't have any other sticks to test I don't think.. I thought I had more kingston 32MB ones but not finding any now that I looked last night.

But the one I have, I demonstrated it works with the original simmconn, so it should with this one. Which is most confusing for me.

Yeah, It seems the universal is picky in some cases.
This is the original simmconn gold you have ?
Simmconn revival gold should be exactly the same.

For universal, we are on new territory...
I would suggest follow this thread for a week or so, if we cannot figure out why it does not work / how to make it work,
I will send you a new value or gold module to try out.

Reply 353 of 549, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dreamblaster wrote:
Yeah, It seems the universal is picky in some cases. This is the original simmconn gold you have ? Simmconn revival gold should […]
Show full quote
kithylin wrote:

Yeah, It seems the universal is picky in some cases.
This is the original simmconn gold you have ?
Simmconn revival gold should be exactly the same.

For universal, we are on new territory...
I would suggest follow this thread for a week or so, if we cannot figure out why it does not work / how to make it work,
I will send you a new value or gold module to try out.

Alrighty, I'm in no hurry. I have some other modules I might could try with it (ram) 16MB and some 8's and 4's. If I get time I might go try it later. I've been kinda addicted to enjoying games on my new 1080-Ti recently on my modern computer though.

Also I have the original Simmconn Value. I did a stupid thing years ago and sold my AWE64 Gold with the Simmconn Gold on it and regretted it ever since.

Reply 354 of 549, by Chris2017

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

I bought the Universal Simmconn adapter from DreamBlaster and it came with only 1 jumper.
I have not tried it yet, if it is true that both Jp1 and Jp2 need to have 2-3 covered, then I need a another jumper.

Anyone know where I can find additional jumpers for cheap price, and the right size?

Reply 355 of 549, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Chris2017 wrote:
Hi All, […]
Show full quote

Hi All,

I bought the Universal Simmconn adapter from DreamBlaster and it came with only 1 jumper.
I have not tried it yet, if it is true that both Jp1 and Jp2 need to have 2-3 covered, then I need a another jumper.

Anyone know where I can find additional jumpers for cheap price, and the right size?

I looked on ebay.ca and there's none I can find sold within canada, you might have to order from china or hong kong.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odkw=Computer … -cable&_sacat=0

Additionally, any random old motherboard or I/O card should have tons on it you can harvest. Do ya have any random old computer bits dead lying around somewhere?

Reply 356 of 549, by timitt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I have been silent lurker for a while, but decided to create account to ask dreamblaster/Serda for SimmConn universal. I received it few days ago and have been testing loads of simms with it. Here is my initial report:

I have AWE64 Gold (CT4390) and AWE64 Value (CT4520).

Things seems to go very weird. With AWE64 Gold practically every 32MB simm I have seems to be recognised correctly and allows loading sf2 banks, but Diagnose fails on every one of them (tells about failure when progressbar finishes). Also many of instruments sound broken (like Clavinet) and Doom sounds horrible because of those broken instruments. One 16MB simm works fine and 32MB simms work when I jumper them as 16MB (so they show as 16MB).

I have tried 8 different kind of 32MB simms so far. One of them has chips that were already marked as working (HY5117404B), but did not work for me.

On Value card every single simm shows as 2MB simm for Diagnose and AWE Control (and seems to work as such when I load 2MB sf2).

Few of simms are 70ns (so possibly too slow), but most are 60ns which should be fast enough. Almost all of them has 16 chips. Chip brands varies a lot (Panasonic, Huyndai, NEC, Samsung, Nanya and Toshiba).

I even tested ECC simm, but interestingly that showed as 2 MB simm for Gold (maybe it used ECC chips as memory or something).

I noticed that Bloodycactus has jumper connected wrong in his photo (one jumper connected pins 3 of both lines), but still he got it working so I guess with correct 32MB simm it does not matter much (note that at least on my unit pins 3 are connected even without jumper so it is not dangerous to have jumper there).

Have you all guys tested simms with diagnose too (at least Bloodycactus mentioned that he did)?

So either I am VERY unlucky with all my simms or my unit is not working as well as some others. But having this weird 2MB limit with Value card makes me wonder if this simmconn is somewhat faulty.

Last edited by timitt on 2017-11-18, 09:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 357 of 549, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Chris2017 wrote:
Hi All, […]
Show full quote

Hi All,

Does the motherboard or any other cards you have/are using have an extra jumper that isn't actually jumpering anything?

I have always had a nice stash of jumpers because I pull them off of dead boards when saving parts off of them for later use.

IDE CD/DVD and HDD drives should also have jumpers.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 358 of 549, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ebay has shunts by the 100 for like $2. just have to wait a couple of weeks for china shipping tho 😀

Reply 359 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if you received simmconn with only one jumper, and really can't find another one to put on, you may pm me, and I will send it to you (but shipping will take some time).