VOGONS

Simmconn AWE64 Adapter

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 549, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well done Serge too this is proto 1 and it works perfectly.
If you guys want to buy up some compatible memory in advance, out of the 3 chip types I tried this worked:
Kingston ValueRAM KVR8X32-60ET/32. (selling for approx 15 euro per pair).

Reply 201 of 549, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
betamax80 wrote:
It works guys!!!! Took 3 different sticks to find a compatible SIMM but I have one. Even though it's a "Value" I have 28mb avai […]
Show full quote

It works guys!!!! Took 3 different sticks to find a compatible SIMM but I have one.
Even though it's a "Value" I have 28mb available! Very cool, perhaps a code fix?

Actually I have a request guys - does anyone have AweVBank 98 or the "SFmaxx" that was supposed to follow? I found an old (1995) version on an AWE32 "The Musicians Guide" book companion CD but none of the download links work from archive.org (filename is supposed to be AweVBank98Install.exe)

I now intend to try previously recommended 28mb SF2 fonts:
GeneralUser GS v1.35: http://www.schristiancollins.com/generaluser.php
And possibly Chorium A (but people are saying the E-MU 8000 is not reading it properly).

Looking for a "smarter" utility to manage the soundfonts on board.

Sweet.

I'll check and see if I have any of those things you are looking for and get back to you.

What version is the one you have from the AWE32 Musicians Guidebook? I have that book and CD and am wondering if maybe there were different versions released.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 202 of 549, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There were different versions. I have one that states 1995 in the about box (first release?)
From Archive.org I can tell there was a '96 and a '98 release. There's also talk of an improvement between '98 v2.08 and v2.53 - which I think must be the final release of the program. It seems to work well as it allows working with the individual instruments in the soundfont but it has trouble communicating as it only knows the AWE32 in this release.

It's a cool book / CD though isn't it --- for curiosity!

Reply 205 of 549, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
betamax80 wrote:

Even though it's a "Value" I have 28mb available! Very cool, perhaps a code fix?

That's expected isn't it? The value can use 28MB of a 32MB sim, and the Gold can use the full 32MB?

I get 28MB usable with my original Simmconn Value.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 207 of 549, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
betamax80 wrote:

That's expected isn't it? The value can use 28MB of a 32MB sim, and the Gold can use the full 32MB?

I get 28MB usable with my original Simmconn Value.

The maximum either card can use is 28MB, the original creative expansion module for both cards was 28MB. The reason for the differences in resulting capacity is the value card has I think 512KB onboard + 28MB expansion, and the gold has 2MB onboard + 28MB expansion = 30MB.

Reply 208 of 549, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:

gold has 2MB onboard + 28MB expansion = 30MB.

AFAIK gold has 4MB so it would fit as 32 together than...
But Value shoul be able to use 31,5MB in this case - interesting why it isn't... maybe it has 0,5MB used and 3,5 blocked somehow? Don't know...

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 209 of 549, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
betamax80 wrote:

There were different versions. I have one that states 1995 in the about box (first release?)
From Archive.org I can tell there was a '96 and a '98 release. There's also talk of an improvement between '98 v2.08 and v2.53 - which I think must be the final release of the program. It seems to work well as it allows working with the individual instruments in the soundfont but it has trouble communicating as it only knows the AWE32 in this release.

It's a cool book / CD though isn't it --- for curiosity!

So I was able to find:
AweVBank 2.49
AweVBank96 build 1100

They are shareware so I have uploaded them here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx6yUkEXCMV … YkduVnRtcFNLRUU

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 210 of 549, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Batyra wrote:

But Value shoul be able to use 31,5MB in this case - interesting why it isn't... maybe it has 0,5MB used and 3,5 blocked somehow? Don't know...

Thanks for the correction.. I thought I might be wrong on the values, was just shooting out of the back of my head half awake there.

Reply 211 of 549, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Batyra wrote:

Yes this is ringing some bells. The Gold can still access its 4MB onboard memory so you get 32MB usable, but the Value (and my Goldfinch) force you to choose b/w the 512 onboard DRAM or the memory expansion via a jumper. So the 512 onboard is 'turned off' and you can only access 28MB of the expansion.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 212 of 549, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC the onboard ROM is also addressed within the total 32mb limit thus decreasing the maximum RAM.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 215 of 549, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome work!

Just an idea......How about we put this on two PCB's. An extension board that gets put at the end of the Awe64 and attaches to the SIMMcon Revival board. Or a cable? Frees up the slot next to it?

Something like this, but connects to the SimmConn Revival at the end of the AWE64, not the side of. http://free0.hiboox.com/images/0515/ee67683ce … dfb217a1930.jpg

Or have the SimmConn Revival long enough to go the the END of the AWE64, and have the memory clips hang off on the other side (BACK of the AWE64 card)?

Or you can tell me to shut up. Either way. Like I said, just an idea. 😎

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 216 of 549, by SIMMConn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's actually a good idea, in that we don't need to be limited to the current outline of the adapter. We could extend the adapter toward the end of AWE64, for about the length of the AWE64 memory headers. Then the SIMM socket can 'lie down' and change from through-hole mount to straddle mount. It will 'carve out' a piece of the adapter and make it like an 'L' shape. The space between the two AWE64 memory headers will still allow component and routing. Once the SIMM is installed on the same plane as the adapter, the total component height will allow a card on the next slot.

Reply 217 of 549, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I understand your idea correctly, then you should also keep in mind the difference in length among various AWE64 models (longer CT4390 vs. shorter CT4540, for instance).

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 218 of 549, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. Make it look like an inverted and twisted AWE32 on steroids is the basic idea. Lots of work has already been done, and for many people the original (and revived) design concept works fine. But to have a free ISA slot could mean the world to a lot of vintage builders that want to stuff their motherboards to the limit. I'd gladly pay extra for that feature. Whether that means an extra PCB board to help extend the SimmConn past the end of the board, or an entire ONE-PCB SimmConn that does something similar.

Regardless, awesome work to revive the SimmConn! I have one for my GOLD, but not one for my umpteen AWE64 values i have stashed away.

Reply 219 of 549, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something along this line for TWO PCBs for the revival (extra PCB to hold current SimmConns as well as the current design)

sEw2bVVl.png

Or this for an XL SimmConn

UxEjtPTl.png

Or this, just a big square and no "L"

NL8u1pwl.png

Anyways. Ideas. Very rough-draft, spitting ideas out of a brain running on 4 hours of sleep and LOTS of Dr. Pepper. You guys that do this so easily, I am thoroughly amazed.