VOGONS

Simmconn AWE64 Adapter

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 549, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll try to find an old program that can read the files properly.

Since the older chips are not available anymore, some rework would definitely have to be redone, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I am not volunteering to do anything other than try to find a program that can open the current files.

I may actually have an old program that can do it, but I'll have to check. It has been a few years since I even looked into circuit board design and may no longer have the programs.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 101 of 549, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
dexvx wrote:

I'm interested as well. Someone should start a kickstarter!

The problem is that while there are interested parties.. some folks here said they're looking in to it and it may not be technically possible to re-create today. At least so far.

From reading this thread, I thought the component in question (PALCE16V8H7JC), is no longer produced. However, there is still some stock left in lesser known distributors. Since individually ordering them may create scaling issues, making a KickStarter to finance the adapter beforehand would seem like a good solution to at least get some volume. Of course it would take a hardware engineer to do it, and although the Simmconn guy says it cannot be commercial, I think part of the cost of subsidizing the person's time is not unreasonable.

Reply 102 of 549, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:
kithylin wrote:
dexvx wrote:

I'm interested as well. Someone should start a kickstarter!

The problem is that while there are interested parties.. some folks here said they're looking in to it and it may not be technically possible to re-create today. At least so far.

From reading this thread, I thought the component in question (PALCE16V8H7JC), is no longer produced. However, there is still some stock left in lesser known distributors. Since individually ordering them may create scaling issues, making a KickStarter to finance the adapter beforehand would seem like a good solution to at least get some volume. Of course it would take a hardware engineer to do it, and although the Simmconn guy says it cannot be commercial, I think part of the cost of subsidizing the person's time is not unreasonable.

If I were remaking them, I would much rather use the newest substitute part. Sure it would take a bit of board reworking, but if the inputs/outputs are the same then it is a simple task of rerouting the traces to where they need to be for the new chip.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 103 of 549, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The .PCB and .SCH files can be opened and updated to the new format in Altium Designer.

I have already converted the files and am working on putting them in their free CircuitMaker application.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 104 of 549, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have converted the PCB files via Altium Designer 17.0 and then saved them as Altium PCB 5.0 files and imported them to CircuitMaker (Altium's free PCB design suite which is meant for open designs and saves to the cloud).

The Schematic was also converted and then saved as a newer DXF file and added to the project. I have also attached all the original files as well as the Altium Designer 17 files to the project.

You can sign up/download/access the project by going here:
https://workspace.circuitmaker.com/Account/Login

The project name is:
SIMMCONN_GOLD

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 105 of 549, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
I have converted the PCB files via Altium Designer 17.0 and then saved them as Altium PCB 5.0 files and imported them to Circuit […]
Show full quote

I have converted the PCB files via Altium Designer 17.0 and then saved them as Altium PCB 5.0 files and imported them to CircuitMaker (Altium's free PCB design suite which is meant for open designs and saves to the cloud).

The Schematic was also converted and then saved as a newer DXF file and added to the project. I have also attached all the original files as well as the Altium Designer 17 files to the project.

You can sign up/download/access the project by going here:
https://workspace.circuitmaker.com/Account/Login

The project name is:
SIMMCONN_GOLD

Awesome. Thanks for doing this for us.. so we're 1 step closer to this thing becoming a reality.

Reply 106 of 549, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're welcome!

If somebody can get me the newer part numbers and data sheet for the GAL ? that is no longer produced, I can see if I can maybe rework the board design to fit the new chip. It just depends on how different it is.

I did a search for the original part and came up with this:
http://www.findchips.com/search/palce16v8h7jc

Not sure how those part numbers correspond compatibility wise to the part number posted up above.

I also downloaded the data sheet (I think) and attached it.

Attachments

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 107 of 549, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If this gets into an actual product, sign me on the buyers list 😀

Searching for chips in China might work on aliexpress or Taobao. Let me know if you need help.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 108 of 549, by SIMMConn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
You're welcome! […]
Show full quote

You're welcome!

If somebody can get me the newer part numbers and data sheet for the GAL ? that is no longer produced, I can see if I can maybe rework the board design to fit the new chip. It just depends on how different it is.

Not sure how those part numbers correspond compatibility wise to the part number posted up above.

The Atmel (now Microchip) ATF16V8B/BQ/BQL should be drop-in replacements for the GAL. I remember -15 is the minimum speed requirement, but I would use -10 to be safe. You would need a device programmer to program it before assembly, or you could use a socket.
The most difficult part for me to get was the dual-row 2.0mm pitch receptacles. I had to had them custom ordered from Taiwan back then. Now there are a few varieties you can get from Digikey. The 72 pin SIMM sockets are also available but are quite expensive. A trip to the local electronic surplus store should get you most of the parts for not much money.

If you have a chance to modify the layout, you could add 33 ohm series resistors on the output of the 74AC(T) buffers to improve the signal integrity. Those are nasty drivers.
Thank you for your effort keeping the project alive and serving the community. Please feel free to do a group buy or something like that.

Reply 109 of 549, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SIMMConn wrote:
The Atmel (now Microchip) ATF16V8B/BQ/BQL should be drop-in replacements for the GAL. I remember -15 is the minimum speed requir […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:
You're welcome! […]
Show full quote

You're welcome!

The Atmel (now Microchip) ATF16V8B/BQ/BQL should be drop-in replacements for the GAL. I remember -15 is the minimum speed requirement, but I would use -10 to be safe. You would need a device programmer to program it before assembly, or you could use a socket.
The most difficult part for me to get was the dual-row 2.0mm pitch receptacles. I had to had them custom ordered from Taiwan back then. Now there are a few varieties you can get from Digikey. The 72 pin SIMM sockets are also available but are quite expensive. A trip to the local electronic surplus store should get you most of the parts for not much money.

If you have a chance to modify the layout, you could add 33 ohm series resistors on the output of the 74AC(T) buffers to improve the signal integrity. Those are nasty drivers.
Thank you for your effort keeping the project alive and serving the community. Please feel free to do a group buy or something like that.

Thanks for the additional information! I'm not planning on actually building these myself... at least not at this time. I was just trying to help by converting the files to something that is usable with newer software.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 110 of 549, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

still progress here ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 112 of 549, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just found this thread... I was oblivious of the SIMMconn.

How many people are interested to obtain one of these?

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 113 of 549, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Hi cyclone,

Trying to get me head around this and educate myself with what has been done on this to date.

Do you happen to know the part numbers of the 3 original IC's? I take it not all of them can be sourced?

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 114 of 549, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If this gets a new profuction run or turns into a new prosuct I will buy at least two. Poşnt me to the kickstarter.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 115 of 549, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

If this gets a new profuction run or turns into a new prosuct I will buy at least two. Poşnt me to the kickstarter.

I would as well. As long as they're somewhat affordable.. not like $150+ each.

Reply 116 of 549, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess if a new product is to be designed, one should expect the secured demand for >100 boards (judjing from the actual sales record for my naked GUS PnP RAM Adapter PCBs that were far less complex and had a veeeeery much more limited potential users' community).
In order to make the product better than the original (and cheaper as well) I'd suggest avoiding any RAM sockets (as both the sockets themselves and the RAM modules are relatively expensive) by putting the maximum amount of RAM on board (I guess, for instance, four 64MBit chips would do just great). Thus the overall PCB surface would be less, no sockets needed, and no annoying outstanding parts that could interfere with other neighboring expansion cards.
If such "advance" CT1950 is to be designed and produced, I'd be after 2-3 of such if it still stays withing some reasonable limit, say $50/each.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 117 of 549, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd be down for one if it had 32MB soldered directly onboard. I have two of the originals but once they're fitted with a SIMM they're WAY bulky. A 'slimline' model would be really appealing.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 118 of 549, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hard1k wrote:

I guess if a new product is to be designed, one should expect the secured demand for >100 boards (judjing from the actual sales record for my naked GUS PnP RAM Adapter PCBs that were far less complex and had a veeeeery much more limited potential users' community).
In order to make the product better than the original (and cheaper as well) I'd suggest avoiding any RAM sockets (as both the sockets themselves and the RAM modules are relatively expensive) by putting the maximum amount of RAM on board (I guess, for instance, four 64MBit chips would do just great). Thus the overall PCB surface would be less, no sockets needed, and no annoying outstanding parts that could interfere with other neighboring expansion cards.
If such "advance" CT1950 is to be designed and produced, I'd be after 2-3 of such if it still stays withing some reasonable limit, say $50/each.

The hard limit on these is 32MB so just a single 32MB memory module surface mounted on it instead of the socket would be enough / all it needs. Even then the cards themselves only address 28MB of it.

Reply 119 of 549, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

4 x 64Mbit = 32Mbyte

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)