Simmconn AWE64 Adapter

Topic actions

Reply 121 of 550, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

I'd be down for one if it had 32MB soldered directly onboard. I have two of the originals but once they're fitted with a SIMM they're WAY bulky. A 'slimline' model would be really appealing.

What if the memory chip dies? A socket makes this problem easy to fix!
Does anyone have the "gold" version but wants the "value" version? 😎

Reply 122 of 550, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Imho the added costs and inconvenience don't compensate for a potentially little bit easier solution for such a low probability failure 😉

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 123 of 550, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:

Imho the added costs and inconvenience don't compensate for a potentially little bit easier solution for such a low probability failure 😉

The cost difference is neglectable and it makes it last considerably longer.
As far as I understand this is for collectors / enthusiasts and not for consumers.

Reply 124 of 550, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:
hard1k wrote:

The cost difference is neglectable and it makes it last considerably longer.
As far as I understand this is for collectors / enthusiasts and not for consumers.

Personally having had the "old" simmconn style and how it makes the dimms stick up so high on the cards, I hate it to bits. I would much much much rather have one flat PCB with the maximum ram chips soldered directly to it. The way with the old style in my retro system with my awe64 gold, it makes it so -all- of my ISA slots are used up, and I can't use any other ISA card.

So most definitely, if anyone remakes this, use the soldered-on-flat ram style, it would be a great improvement.

FYI the original creative ram cards had the chips soldered flat to them too, it covered 80% of the card.

Reply 125 of 550, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Either way is fine to me, go with whatever is cheaper (which I guess is the soldered on method, as it won't require SIMM slots?)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 126 of 550, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For those that don't quite understand the difference. This was creative's Original 28MB expansion module:
Sound-Blaster-AWE64-gold.jpg

And here it is with the SimmConn:
IMG_2488-800px.jpg

While the SimmConn does work.. it prevents full size cards from being used in adjacent slots, the one downfall of that solution.

If we could get something with flat ram chips soldered on the PCB, similar to the original design that would be much better.

Reply 127 of 550, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And thanks to the higher density chips we are not obliged to use a handful of those beautiful 2mbyte soj's, I guess the solution could be made with as little as 2-4 ram chips in total.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 129 of 550, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm. What about all those widely available EDO SIMMs with higher density chips?
E.g.: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262383657484

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 130 of 550, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're right. I was not clear enough, mean 1mx16 limit for existing logic. With using these high density chips programmable logic has to be redesigned. It's lot of work

If you save some money on parts, you'll have to invest in development and vise versa

Last edited by anthony on 2017-06-13, 23:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 131 of 550, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you think that if someone takes this SIMM and installs it into the existing SIMMConn it won't work? I haven't checked that, just curious.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 133 of 550, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:
For those that don't quite understand the difference. This was creative's Original 28MB expansion module: https://www.3dnews.ru/ […]
Show full quote

For those that don't quite understand the difference. This was creative's Original 28MB expansion module:
Sound-Blaster-AWE64-gold.jpg

And here it is with the SimmConn:
IMG_2488-800px.jpg

While the SimmConn does work.. it prevents full size cards from being used in adjacent slots, the one downfall of that solution.

If we could get something with flat ram chips soldered on the PCB, similar to the original design that would be much better.

Why not just use right angled simm slots?

Not like they are hard to get.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connector … d=0&pageSize=25

www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connect ... af5Q86c%3d

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 134 of 550, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
Why not just use right angled simm slots? […]
Show full quote

Why not just use right angled simm slots?

Not like they are hard to get.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connector … d=0&pageSize=25

www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connect ... af5Q86c%3d

I don't know why they weren't used on the original ones, maybe price. But it's already been documented.. we can use the smaller surface mount ram chips on the PCB for a newer re-design, but would be complicated.. but production costs would be down vs those slots.

Reply 135 of 550, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can anyone communicate to me what the GAL part number is?

Either a typed copy of the IC's writing or a hi-res clear photo of the square chip.

Thanks

Also, without actually owning a SIMMconn... I may need help from someone who does, specifically using a DMM to test and confirm connectivity between points.

I can map the PCB from images to the best of my ability but where the traces go under other parts and out of sight... this is where a DMM comes in handy.

Thanks again

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 136 of 550, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386_junkie wrote:
Can anyone communicate to me what the GAL part number is? […]
Show full quote

Can anyone communicate to me what the GAL part number is?

Either a typed copy of the IC's writing or a hi-res clear photo of the square chip.

Thanks

Also, without actually owning a SIMMconn... I may need help from someone who does, specifically using a DMM to test and confirm connectivity between points.

I can map the PCB from images to the best of my ability but where the traces go under other parts and out of sight... this is where a DMM comes in handy.

Thanks again

The full parts lists is available from the original maker as well as from the post I made with the link to the updated format for the circuit board files.
Simmconn AWE64 Adapter

The original maker also posted in this thread about a part (the GAL) that is no longer available and with the newer part that would work.
Simmconn AWE64 Adapter

Just read through the thread and you will be able to find the needed info.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 137 of 550, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So.. Is anyone willing to build a batch of these through Kickstarter?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 139 of 550, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

So.. Is anyone willing to build a batch of these through Kickstarter?

It is, and will be possible, only it will not happen overnight. I work full time and have dependants by way of family.

I will make a batch, either myself or as part of a team, but as a project it could take months. There does not seem to be many people interested so I imagine the batch would be fairly small... i.e. 10 to 20 pieces.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks