VOGONS

Reply 440 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very soon I'll post some pics of the latest version - just some Easter delays 😁
There will be plenty of cards to go around no worries

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 443 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some packages arrived today! Just in time before Easter 😁

First a bunch of brackets

8FNymS0l.jpg

and lastly the new version PCBs 😎

MnkrU3il.jpg

7aqezVll.jpg

This will be the last hardware version of the card - there is no plan to add/remove anything in the future.
We moved from the hand-made breakout cables (as you can see from the pics) to a small breakout pcb and factory-made MIDI cables from SERDASHOP.
There are now 2x MPU-OUT ports and an AUX 4pin row behind the daughterboard's audio-out jack (so now one can connect it internally to one of the main soundcard's inputs)

I hope you guys/gals like it. 😊
Price is the same.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 444 of 894, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As Bruce Nolan would say: "B-E-A-Utiful." Would the new PCB have a 3D-printed case on there as well?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 445 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have the means to design/print such a case - maybe someone that can do that can fill that gap
Also I will repeat that anyone that can patch mt-32 drivers to get rid of the buffer/checksums error please say so. It will benefit anyone.
In both cases I can donate a MPU to help with these projects or other needed hardware.
Needless to say this is only for serious people without any time constraint on delivery - "comet people" that just want a card please don't waste our time 😀

I will also repeat that this project is made possible because of marmes with help beyond measure from dreamblaster - project brothers from another mothers 🤣

Reply 446 of 894, by Tree Wyrm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lovely! Especially that waveblaster header. Btw, is previous version breakout MIDI cable compatible with this one? Those 3.5mm jack MIDI DIN5 look just like what I've got on my arturia beatstep pro.

While it's obviously a very late suggestion I've wondered why not just use standard game port and wire MIDI just like all the other sound cards did, those joystick port MIDI breakout cables are pretty easy to find.

Reply 447 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes you can use the previous breakout cable with the new card but you will lose the 2nd OUT port.
What gain would it be to use a gameport cable? Our breakout cables are straight connections as all logic and buffering is on board, proper gameport breakout cables have them externaly so there could be a conflict or something.
Even if you loose your breakout cables you would still be able to make a new one with a DB9 plug and some midi cables without any ICs or complex designs - I will post the full schematic for it soon 😀

Reply 448 of 894, by Tree Wyrm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those generic gameport-MIDI cables were just simple cables simply passing certain pins to DIN5 connectors, like 12/15 commonly being MIDI Tx/Rx, aren't they? So obviously the only benefit to doing it gameport is merely compatibility with existing fairly available accessory cable, that's about it. Granted that leaves out second MIDI OUT but that's that. Am I missing something there?

Reply 449 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A good gameport cable has at least a buffer 74 series IC inside... Sure you can use a simple one but results will vary from card to card. At least that's what I know 😀

Reply 450 of 894, by Tree Wyrm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, interesting, didn't know that. Well, in that case it wasn't a good idea. Anyway, waiting for the cards. Brackets look better too, and without that odd powder coating (which came off on mine quickly) like the previous card version had. So what's that second MIDI output? Same as main or independent? Like for SC-88 to use 32 MIDI channels or something?

Reply 451 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope the 2nd midi output is just the same like the MPU-IPC-T for example.

Reply 453 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks badmojo 😀

@Tree Wyrm
just for the sake of completeness this is what a proper gameport->midi adapter should be more or less

zilI7Sfl.png

Reply 454 of 894, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hm i like the old breakout cable more.
More robust/sturdy.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 455 of 894, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
matze79 wrote:

Hm i like the old breakout cable more.
More robust/sturdy.

For what it is worth, I like the old cable setup better as well. (Full disclosure, I already got one of these cards with the old cable setup. So I'm not that concerned.)

Reply 456 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the schematic will be available so one can make his own version I guess... 🤣
These ones are machine made, the grip of the connectors is good, totally it takes a little more space than a vga cable so it's not like you'll have a 10cm thing hanging from the back

Reply 457 of 894, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:
thanks badmojo :) […]
Show full quote

thanks badmojo 😀

@Tree Wyrm
just for the sake of completeness this is what a proper gameport->midi adapter should be more or less

zilI7Sfl.png

Yup, along with the variations in opto-coupler, the outgoing buffer logic can use almost anything that's fast enough, including NOR gates, inverter packs, hex buffers, Schmitt triggers, etc. 74 series and 4000 series are both viable.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 459 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ thanks!

it has come to my attention that several people think that breakout pcb is a big one , here you can see it against a VGA connector - hope this clear things up even though the components are not soldered yet 😀

sLkcLnAl.png