VOGONS

Reply 520 of 894, by strygo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks keropi. I love that you took it a step further with GUS as well. 😀

Which mixer do you use? I know Phil has recommended one - I need to go dig it up.

I assume the only impact to not routing the MIDI output back to the SB is you lose the ability to control the volume from Windows?

Reply 521 of 894, by Rackatack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mauricio wrote:

Thanks for the replies! I was under the impression that the MT-32 was "the final word" for DOS game music. What are some games where the General MIDI version is better? (i.e. where a wavetable module would be helpful) And I guess any wavetable module will be better than the MIDI support in any Sound Blaster card. Do you think a Sound Blaster + MT-32 + Music Quest + Dreamblaster S2 will give pretty complete coverage for 80s/90s games?

I think there is a list somewhere of games designed for MT-32 (Wikipedia list of MT-32 compatible games contributions) that links to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT-32-c … _computer_games
Phil also made a video regarding different midi devices and what sounds best with midi or mt32
In some games that have GM and MT-32 the MT-32 has been added after and arent' quite right on MT-32. Like Gabriel Knight for ex.
A lot of dos games (doom, warcraft I and II, ...) have a good midi soundtrack
Mostry games in the 2nd half of the 90s gave a decent/good midi support

Reply 522 of 894, by Rackatack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
strygo wrote:

Which mixer do you use? I know Phil has recommended one - I need to go dig it up.

I also remember seeing that, but can't recall, I'm also interested in adding a mixer, for the moment, I have my SB and midi devices going through line in ports of my main computer, I can adjust the volumes and mute lines, but it's kind of overkill to let the pc run to have a mixer.
I use the midi in (back) of the SC55 and use the thru at the back to daisy chain to the MT32. The colume control of the SC-55 is easier to "control" than the one of the MT-32.
but I think it could be cleaner

Reply 523 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am using this one, you can also see the audio selectors on the background

XJpW3shl.jpg

but this is an old mixer, not one I can link you to a store to buy... still it should give you the idea of how things could work

edit:
also Phil's review of the card is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymQJvwOTM0E 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 524 of 894, by thisisnotanick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whats those color highlighted names in the waiting list? I just have to bold my name right, not make it a certain color or something?

Reply 525 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thisisnotanick wrote:

Whats those color highlighted names in the waiting list? I just have to bold my name right, not make it a certain color or something?

that's marmes and me marking down people so we know who we have contacted so far - don't mind them 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 526 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see that a portion of people don't like the breakout combo... I personally don't get why as it's basically the same deal as the old-style DB9 cable (db9 goes to card, female midi plugs go to modules, you DON'T need to mess with the 3.5mm jacks at all, connect them once and don't touch them again if you don't like)
- BUT -
to each their own and I really want people to be happy with their cards so I will start offering an option to anyone past this point:

- sacrifice the whole breakout+midi cables to get a cable like the OLD one :

pB0JDGXl.jpg

I will actually cut the 3.5mm connectors from the machine-made cables and I will solder them to the db9 connector and put it inside a shell : you won't get the breakout pcb and you'll have to chose from having eirher 2xOUT or 1xOUT + 1xIN ports.

How does that sound?

Last edited by keropi on 2018-05-20, 09:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 528 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
martinot wrote:

Declaring interest in one card.

see Phil's video on how to put your name down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymQJvwOTM0E - vogons does not allow trading.

Reply 529 of 894, by Schyz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

I will actually cut the 3.5mm connectors from the machine-made cables and I will solder them to the db9 connector and put it inside a shell : you won't get the breakout pcb and you'll have to chose from having eirher 2xOUT or 1xOUT + 1xIN ports.

How does that sound?

I would be interested in this. What should I put in the spreadsheet? Something like "Midi soldered [2XOUT]" is OK?

Reply 530 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ just mention it in the email exchange we'll have when the time comes 😀

Reply 532 of 894, by RetroFletch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello Keropi!

I just got an email with payment details, any way we can get a confirmation on here what the correct paypal adress is.
Because seing an list of emails of people wanting to buy something and sending them payment details hoping some are gonna send you money before he gets exposed is pretty much the easiest and quickest scam someone with bad intentions might try to make a quick buck 😀
because the email was just a standard email anyone could have made in 2min and i couldnt see it being mentioned on your profile or anywhere in this thread, hope you understand!
just wanna be sure we send the money to the right person 😀

Reply 533 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow I did not think of the scam possibility 🤣 🤣 🤣
but yeah my email is dallas.leo etc etc , I just send a standard initial message to all interested people
yes this google list needs to be something else, maybe a fb group?

Reply 534 of 894, by RetroFletch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for response! its probably not huge risk of scamming in this pretty small community but now i can be sure the mail was from you atleast ;D will make transfer tomorrow, cheers!

Reply 536 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lvader wrote:

Anybody tried the wavetable header yet? How is the card in terms of noise compared to a vintage card with a wavetable? I have one on the way but i’m stuck aborad for business.

Since there is no mixer involved and you get a direct connection between the daughterboard-output and the audio-jack I'd say that the signal is as clean as what the daughterboard can produce.
You can go further and separate digital and analog ground signals : remove R27 which is located under the green audio-out jack. BUT be sure that your duaghterboard actually has a separate analog ground plane. The majority of the cards just connect both grounds on the pins of the header but there are some XR385 revisions that do not do that or even have a dedicated analog ground plane.
IMHO it doesn't worth to mess with is since what you get is basically the card's unaltered output.

Reply 538 of 894, by Mauricio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

wow I did not think of the scam possibility 🤣 🤣 🤣
but yeah my email is dallas.leo etc etc , I just send a standard initial message to all interested people
yes this google list needs to be something else, maybe a fb group?

Is there someone else who is sending these emails? I received email from someone else, with a different PayPal address. Thanks! (and I apparently I can't send private messages yet)