VOGONS

Reply 180 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Early summer seems a good candidate - fingers crossed though! 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 181 of 894, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

^ yes, both working at the same time and ofcourse there will be at least a 3.5" stereo jack that will output the daughterboard's audio.

Now that'll be an amazing card to place in my Packard Bell 486. I have the clone card that I bought back in October of 2016, and I love it.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 182 of 894, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It'd be even more amazing to have have something like a combo intelligent MPU/ESS card.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 184 of 894, by blackmasked

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I could not afford MPU back in the day and now when I can these are almost impossible to get. I declare interest in at least one and will be keeping an eye on this thread. Amazing work keropi and hats of to you, Sir for making MPU accessible to commoners like myself. ;]

Last edited by blackmasked on 2017-04-07, 14:06. Edited 3 times in total.

DOS build: Gigabyte GA-586T2, P200 MMX, 64MB RAM, Tseng ET6000 4MB, Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, Roland SC-55mkII, Yamaha MU-80
98SE build: MSI MS-6163 Pro, PIII 650MHz, 256MB RAM, Voodoo3 3000, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum, Yamaha SW1000XG

Reply 185 of 894, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rackatack wrote:

Or to finally be able to have awe32 (or awe64) + roland + covox + midi daughterboard would be the ultimate experience in one system to rule them all

Indeed, what might be useful is to have all ISA pins (and maybe something else too?) on a 2-row pin header for add-on boards, just like on GUS (classic) for the codec add-on.

The possibilities would be endless and hobbyists could make their own add-on boards easier than making a real ISA card. Would save some ISA slots too.
Covox DAC (or two for stereo), Disney Sound Source FIFO, GameBlaster, Adlib, single OPL3 with quad channel output.. Or FPGA so anything is possible 😀
OK, that escalated quickly.

But yes, I do think the Wavetable header was a good and simpe idea - provide power and midi, allow audio to internal/backpanel connector.

Reply 186 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks for the kind words blackmasked about the project 😀

ARGUS has the needed ISA pins Jepael... maybe something can be made for it 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 187 of 894, by Rackatack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Keropi,
If you use the isa pins to add extra features won't you risk to create a mess with resource conflicts or driver issues?
Is the argus project completed? last time I saw info about that it was kind off on hold.

Reply 188 of 894, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No more risk than trying to fully populate a full AT 386 board or an SBC passive backplane, I think.

Reply 189 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, isa pins on argus = another ISA slot basically.
You do run the risk of running out of irqs/dmas if you populate many stuff 🤣 , pins/slot it's the same to the computer.
I must add though, that there are no plans at the moment to make the mpu anything more than a 8bit ISA card.

Reply 190 of 894, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would rather go the other way round - an ARGUS-compatible MPU daughterboard based on this project would be great! 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 191 of 894, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about a breakout board, ribbon cable, and stacked peripheral cards PC104 style?

Reply 192 of 894, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeaaaaah 😀 😀 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 193 of 894, by blackmasked

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Am I the only one who keeps refreshing this page multiple times every day, hoping for some updates? ;]

DOS build: Gigabyte GA-586T2, P200 MMX, 64MB RAM, Tseng ET6000 4MB, Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, Roland SC-55mkII, Yamaha MU-80
98SE build: MSI MS-6163 Pro, PIII 650MHz, 256MB RAM, Voodoo3 3000, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum, Yamaha SW1000XG

Reply 194 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ it's still in the works , pcbs will be soon ordered so I will update when we reach this point 😀

Reply 195 of 894, by blackmasked

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am looking forward to it. ;]

Reply 197 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hope I'll be able to post a preview rendering soon 😀

Reply 199 of 894, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's still in the works, half the parts are ordered and pcb is being designed in spare time after long work hours... it's moving but a little slow. I will keep you updated once there is something close to final to present 😀