Music Quest MPU clone cards, anyone interested in them?

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Re: Music Quest MPU clone cards, anyone interested in them?

Postby keropi » 2019-9-09 @ 19:41

So basically you want the option to be able to use the emu8k at port 330 and have it work with GM games?
I know almost nothing of AWExx cards , used them in the past but they are too windows-oriented for my taste (not to mention I find their GM support a joke). That's for DOS, windows is another deal for these cards ;)
keropi
l33t++

Postby kolderman » 2019-9-09 @ 20:14

Well yes....but this is not some kind of hack but just how AWE32/AWE64 works in MIDI emulation mode. It just works under Win98 with soundfonts, under DOS you need to do aweutil /EM:GM to load soundbanks. You can also apply reverb/chorus.

The big advantage of midi emulation mode over native AWE is it can utilize the RAM expansion slots on the AWE32...so you can load up to 24MB soundfonts and then use them for midi synth. It's pretty cool. Under DOS you are basically limited to a standard 2MB soundbank file, which still sounds pretty good.

BUT of course Win98/DOS is not such an either/or proposition...for example under Win98 I can load a niec 8MB SoundFont on the AWE64...but it is still seen by DOS games running in a DOS window at 330. I imagine the PCMIDI would work fine for DOS games under windows as well no?

The option is I can connect a little toggle switch to the address jumper on the PCMIDI then drill it into the case, I just thought it might be a handy little thing to have on the PCMIDI card itself.
kolderman

Postby keropi » 2019-9-09 @ 20:29

I see now - unless I am missing something ofcourse
well you can just connect an on/off switch like this to the P jumper on PCMIDI and just control it from outside the case

I mean the P control can be moved on top in a future revision sure - but you'd still need to open the case to mess with it ...

and yes PCMIDI will work with the included-in-windows Roland MPU401 driver and will support both dos/windows programs no issues
keropi
l33t++

Previous

Return to Sound