VOGONS

HardMPU, anyone?

Topic actions

Reply 161 of 608, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gotta stop for today, did a few footprint corrections and started a bit the part placement.

Attachments

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 162 of 608, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Goodluck ! 😀

What Software do you use ?
Ah ok, KiCad.

Does it contain a Auto Router ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 163 of 608, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes it does, but autorouters are for wimps. 😀
I'm about 50% through but stuff at work keeps interfering with my progress.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 165 of 608, by ab0tj

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any progress, stamasd? I ask because I will be ordering some prototype boards for another project, so I think I may whip up a board for this as well. Mine would be with the autorouter though 😜

Reply 166 of 608, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, no progress. I got sidetracked by many things.

One word of caution about the autorouter. I tried it once, and it made a mess.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 167 of 608, by ab0tj

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a simplified and cleaned up schematic. Putting this out there in case anyone finds errors before I start laying out a board...

Attachments

• Filename
    HardMPU.pdf
    File size
    122.59 KiB
    Downloads
    169 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 168 of 608, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome work!

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 169 of 608, by ab0tj

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a teaser for you guys...

Attachments

Reply 171 of 608, by ab0tj

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I'm sure the design actually works 🤣
I'm going to order some when I get paid (Friday) and build one to test.

stamasd wrote:

Cool beans! When can we order the PCB? 😁

Last edited by ab0tj on 2016-12-28, 15:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 175 of 608, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I was thinking about this one... what do you think about putting a Wavetable Header on the card and wiring an (optional?) audio-out jack for use with a Wavetable card? Would that be actually useful, or am I thinking up solutions to problems that don't exist?

Reply 176 of 608, by ab0tj

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're not the first to bring this up. I think it's a good idea. Someone else may have to take on that part of the project though as analog design is not really my strong suit 😎

RJDog wrote:

So, I was thinking about this one... what do you think about putting a Wavetable Header on the card and wiring an (optional?) audio-out jack for use with a Wavetable card? Would that be actually useful, or am I thinking up solutions to problems that don't exist?

Reply 177 of 608, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ab0tj wrote:

Someone else may have to take on that part of the project though as analog design is not really my strong suit 😎

Well, I won't claim to be an expert, but it's not that difficult. Just have a 270ohm (or maybe 220ohm, as you have some of those on the board already) resistor inline with the audio signal lines for current protection, and ideally some ground traces adjacent to the signal traces for some EMI protection. Based on some quick googling, it looks like the audio signals are on pin 20 (right) and pin 24 (left) of the wavetable header...

Reply 178 of 608, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I approve of this 😀 Nice effort.
Always nice to see people design new hardware to replace old solutions or ease up the market.

Not sure if it's an issue with the preview or you already did that, but I'd remove all soldermask near the ISA connector, it tends to wear off over time there and can isolate pins when it has flaked off.
Also: maybe add a bit of 'via stitching' to additionally connect both ground planes (probably not required, but looks nice)?

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 179 of 608, by ab0tj

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RJDog wrote:

Well, I won't claim to be an expert, but it's not that difficult. Just have a 270ohm (or maybe 220ohm, as you have some of those on the board already) resistor inline with the audio signal lines for current protection, and ideally some ground traces adjacent to the signal traces for some EMI protection. Based on some quick googling, it looks like the audio signals are on pin 20 (right) and pin 24 (left) of the wavetable header...

Fair enough, I'll look into adding that once I verify that this 'prototype' works.

shock__ wrote:

Not sure if it's an issue with the preview or you already did that, but I'd remove all soldermask near the ISA connector, it tends to wear off over time there and can isolate pins when it has flaked off.
Also: maybe add a bit of 'via stitching' to additionally connect both ground planes (probably not required, but looks nice)?

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. I had not done either of these with the current iteration of the design, but I will keep this in mind before I send off the gerbers to get any more boards made. Both suggestions make sense.