VOGONS

First post, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, another retro build and another bunch of problems. I can't (again) get my Aureal Vortex 2 to run correctly. I get some crackling in BG1, BG2 (and previously also in Unreal, AFAIK). I have already tried out three different cards (Aureal Vortex 2 SuperQuad 2500, Aureal Vortex2 SuperQuad Digital PCI, Diamond Monster Sound MX300) but with no success. I took a look at http://members.optusnet.com.au/kirben/vortex2.html and disabling hardare acceleration for DirectSound helped, but then it disabled EAX, so no good solution for me. Other tips from the FAQ didn't help.
My setup is Athlon 1000, KT333, WIn98, 2048 drivers. Anyone successfully running a Vortex 2 card on a similar config?

Reply 1 of 40, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd start by testing it in different PCI slots. Sound cards sharing resources with stuff like ATA controllers and video cards will cause audio artifacts.

But I just wouldn't trust in Aureal cards for EAX. I prefer earlier drivers, ver 2041.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 40, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
firage wrote:

I'd start by testing it in different PCI slots. Sound cards sharing resources with stuff like ATA controllers and video cards will cause audio artifacts.

But I just wouldn't trust in Aureal cards for EAX. I prefer earlier drivers, ver 2041.

I have checked it - the card has an unique IRQ

F2bnp wrote:

Just try 2041. 2048 are rather buggy.

Retested with 2041 - the crackling is still there.

Reply 4 of 40, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my experience, if the crackling continues despite changing cards, then it is likely a driver or resource conflict. It doesn't have to be the driver for your soundcard--it could be the driver for something as simple as your mouse.

I also had a SbLive! card have crackling audio when the main DSP chip got hot, but that doesn't sound like your problem.

Reply 5 of 40, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just a shot in the dark, but VIA chipset... I stick with Intel on faster Windows 98 machines. Not want you want to hear, but this has always given me great Vortex 2 sound.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 40, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you using the optical output or analog output? I had crackling with the optical output with A3d enabled, which was not present in the analog output.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 7 of 40, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Just a shot in the dark, but VIA chipset... I stick with Intel on faster Windows 98 machines. Not want you want to hear, but this has always given me great Vortex 2 sound.

Phil makes a good point. You could try George Breese's PCI Latency patch for VIA chipsets. It was recently added to vogonsdrivers.

Reply 8 of 40, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've heard crackling with most PCI sound cards including Aureal's. The VIA latency patch might reduce it.

Another thing you can do is try reducing PCI latency of the AGP card. AGP cards tend to want to maximize their bus time and this can affect the sound card. PCI Latency Tool can tweak this within Windows, for example. There is a version at the end of this thread that supposedly works in 9x.

If AGP fast writes are enabled, try turning that off in the BIOS as well.

Reply 9 of 40, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

I will try the cards again with a 440BX system when I find more time.

boxpressed wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

Phil makes a good point. You could try George Breese's PCI Latency patch for VIA chipsets. It was recently added to vogonsdrivers.

I gave it a try, but it didn't help.

swaaye wrote:

I've heard crackling with most PCI sound cards including Aureal's. The VIA latency patch might reduce it.

Another thing you can do is try reducing PCI latency of the AGP card. AGP cards tend to want to maximize their bus time and this can affect the sound card. PCI Latency Tool can tweak this within Windows, for example. There is a version at the end of this thread that supposedly works in 9x.

If AGP fast writes are enabled, try turning that off in the BIOS as well.

The AGP fast writes were already disabled.

I also gave the PCI Latency Tool a try, but I wasn't able to change the latency (selected line on the screenshot - this is the one you have meant?).
BGN3gaQ.jpg

Reply 10 of 40, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The crackling occurs when the cards 16k buffers miss a sample period, the card isn't keeping its DMA channels filled it seems. What you can try is to set the resources manually in the device manager to another DMA channel. Changing the card to another PCI slot can sometimes alleviate this issue when the chipset only supported bus mastering on the primary PCI slot.
But the issue at the end of the day is bad resource management in the driver and the a3dapi.dll (when playing A3D enabled games)

Hmm I wonder if this was proven true: Via PCI bug

Reply 11 of 40, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Maf wrote:
I also gave the PCI Latency Tool a try, but I wasn't able to change the latency (selected line on the screenshot - this is the o […]
Show full quote

I also gave the PCI Latency Tool a try, but I wasn't able to change the latency (selected line on the screenshot - this is the one you have meant?).
BGN3gaQ.jpg

As I recall it should show the video card in the listing. Maybe the older versions (like 2.3) work differently...

Reply 13 of 40, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://web.archive.org/web/20041017135923/ht … ides/vortex.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/20030404154747/ht … ortexfix01.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20030814034646/ht … lp/th-v2a80.htm
Don't know if these could help

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 14 of 40, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Maf wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

I will try the cards again with a 440BX system when I find more time.

Well, I tested it today in a 440BX system and the cracking sound / static noises are still there.
Setup: asus p2b-f, win98se, dx 7.0a, intel chipset drivers, 2041 audio driver

Fuck yeah...

Reply 15 of 40, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You've tried multiple cards that exhibit the same issues...
You've tried multiple system setups and have the same issues...

You shouldn't hear any static on these soundcards, so are we sure it isn't a cable->speaker issue?
Another thought is some older PCI/AGP video card drivers would hog the PCI bus and cause issues, but driver updates should have solved this issue.

Reply 16 of 40, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZanQuance wrote:

You shouldn't hear any static on these soundcards, so are we sure it isn't a cable->speaker issue?

Nice try 😉 I have tried it with several speakers / headphones and the issue is present across all of them.
I think I'll have to make a recording of this noise so that you can hear it yourself.

Reply 17 of 40, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While I was typing out a reply it logged me out and I lost it 🙁

Since the 3 cards are unlikely to all be faulty with the same symptoms look for the common element in all the tests, CDROM/HDD/Software ect... If it's clicks then it's a software issue hogging the PCI bus, if it's static then make sure all unused inputs are muted and the jacks are clean ect...

Reply 19 of 40, by Retromangia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a thought... what about power? Could it be dirty power going into the PC? Try plugging it in to a different outlet on the other side of the house, or using a quality surge protector. You just want to make sure your running on clean electricity with no outside interference.

I've learned over the years that with computers, it could be damn near anything 😀