VOGONS

Reply 140 of 742, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thecrankyhermit wrote:

GM reset command to SC-VA will lock it to 8820 even if "Map Mode" displays differently.

But it sounds different too. E3M1 sounds different depending on whether I select SC-55 or SC-8820 beforehand. If it got locked to 8820 regardless, wouldn't it sound the same?

I take my words back!
It uses and sounds like the SC-XX Map you set before switching to GM.
Sorry my mistake.
Still, Please don't disable SysEx or CC commands.

Actually, this is very useful!
It retains the sound of the chosen Map, excellent!

Last edited by James-F on 2016-04-10, 14:32. Edited 1 time in total.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 141 of 742, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm Now ladies watch
https://temp-share.com/f/wktjovzpew/6b68af369 … 8797ec7f5033407

I'm temporarry fixed this bug so :

In VST Synth\Roland SoundCanvas VA here scva.dll and scva_ns.dll but also scva.exe and scva_ns.exe of savihost and running as required

Last edited by Roland User on 2016-04-10, 14:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 144 of 742, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I found your problem.
It's Windows Media Player. Why do you use this awful thing? 😵

Please download a good midi player that lets you select the Reset command (GS) before each song: http://www.vanbasco.com/karaokeplayer/
When I select Windows in reset settings (image) I get the same problem as you do.
PLEASE remove windows media player from your PC immediately! 😊

EDIT:
Actually windows midi players don't send ANY reset SysEx message, therefor the next song you play suffers from this.
AVX, I see you also struggle with your Player not Resetting SC-VA after every song; the link to a good player is here.

Midi Player Reset.jpg
Filename
Midi Player Reset.jpg
File size
304.9 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by James-F on 2016-04-10, 17:57. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 146 of 742, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bump this for thecrankyhermit and avx.

thecrankyhermit,
Actually you CAN select Map when in GM or GM2 mode.
There is a bug in 1.02 where the Map Mode drop menu (Options) does not work when GM or GM2 selected, but the ALL-> ARROWS still do!
Options -> System, just look at Map Mode.
Now Select ALL and press the Left/Right arrows on the main GUI.

avx,
Stop struggling with player (WMP) that does not send a Reset Sysex every song, and download http://www.vanbasco.com/karaokeplayer/.
This will let you choose the reset type (GS,GM, XG, Windows, SysEx), and even reset when paused which prevents hanging notes.

This one is also very good and automatically sends Reset every song:: http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer

Midi Player SysEx Reset.jpg
Filename
Midi Player SysEx Reset.jpg
File size
210.26 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by James-F on 2016-04-10, 18:24. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 147 of 742, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All the same, if add reset ovveride in SC-VA can be usage better. Chekbox must determine the reseting parameters in SC-VA by user.

The fact is that checkbox decides similar problems in all programs , not only in players, Select should belong user

Is there an analogue SaviHost with auto reset ?

MIDI Player not always correctly reset SC-VA , often last older mode or all channelsonly piano

Last edited by Roland User on 2016-04-10, 18:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 148 of 742, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ Roland User;
The SC-VA behaves like the real hardware and it will not let you change the reset behavior to your liking because you insist using WMP.
Sound Canvas (any of them) clearly states in the manual that it needs a System Exclusive (SysEx) command or a entering the menu to Reset.
Many users just power cycle (turn Off then On) their hardware every time they enter a game, that dwarfs the effort of clicking the Reset button in SC-VA to nothing.

With my SC-55 I always power cycle the unit before I run a game 😀

Why do you request changes to the software like somebody here is a developer who works for Roland?

No, there is not SAVIHost equivalent with custom sysex message behavior, but there are dedicated Midi Player that do specifically that.

Roland User wrote:

MIDI Player not always correctly reset SC-VA , often last older mode or all channelsonly piano

It supposed to do that.
The GS Reset SysEx a Midi Player sends is EXACTLY like pressing the reset button in SC-VA GUI.

Last edited by James-F on 2016-04-10, 19:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 149 of 742, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Because easier make one time setting for Standard players and another for emulate real hardware.
Do not send the same in sequencers and programs are not able to do auto reset each time a special team?
OK, which VST Host analogue is also compact and It has function auto prereset ?

Reply 150 of 742, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually you CAN select Map when in GM or GM2 mode.
There is a bug in 1.02 where the Map Mode drop menu (Options) does not work when GM or GM2 selected, but the ALL-> ARROWS still do!
Options -> System, just look at Map Mode.

Interesting.

One peculiarity on switching mode mappings, and this isn't specific to the ALL->Arrows method, is that the map mode doesn't change immediately. In Virtual Sound Canvas it did; I could change mode mappings ingame, and hear the difference in sample quality right away. But with Sound Canvas VA, it only seems to have an effect on the next song, not on the present one. For instance, in Daggerfall, if I change from 8820 to 55, nothing happens at first. But if I leave smuggler's cove and come back, I'll hear the SC-55 instruments. Any idea what the trigger here is? Is it some sort of Sysex command, or request for new instruments?

Also, is there any reason I would want GM mode over GS mode? What about GM2? My interest in this is strictly for computer games, and I don't care at all about playing standalone MID files.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 151 of 742, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Roland User;
Let me understand, you want a VST Host to control the reset behavior for each song so you can use any player or sequencer in the world to play your midi files with expected behavior?
So, you want to change the world to your liking and comfort?
Me too! 😀

thecrankyhermit wrote:

Any idea what the trigger here is? Is it some sort of Sysex command, or request for new instruments?

My guess is that SC-VA changes CC#32 to 1-4 (55,88,88pro,8820) and waits for a patch change.
When a game requests a patch change, only then the Map is applied.

Also, is there any reason I would want GM mode over GS mode?

GS expands the instrument of GM.
GM2 has more instrument than GM but less than GS, no game used GM2 ever, some used GS (sound canvas) most used GM (general midi).

GS has several instrument variations (bank) in each patch.
GM has only one instrument in each patch.
http://www.voidaudio.net/gsinstrument.html
Just keep it on GS, it contains all you need. It's the magic pill.

Last edited by James-F on 2016-04-10, 19:40. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 153 of 742, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:
@Roland User; Let me understand, you want a VST Host to control the reset behavior for each song so you can use any player or se […]
Show full quote

@Roland User;
Let me understand, you want a VST Host to control the reset behavior for each song so you can use any player or sequencer in the world to play your midi files with expected behavior?
So, you want to change the world to your liking and comfort?
Me too! 😀

Exactly ) why should feel uncomfortable there, where they can not experience?

Reply 154 of 742, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:

My guess is that SC-VA changes CC#0 to 1-4 (55,88,88pro,8820) and waits for a patch change.
When a game requests a patch change, only then the Map is applied.

Work mode selected only by CC32 if CC32 set as 1 = SC55 , if CC32 set as 2 = SC88 , if CC32 set as 3 = SC88Pro , if CC32 set as 4 (default) = SC8820 mode

Attachments

• Filename
    reseters.zip
    File size
    4.8 KiB
    Downloads
    108 downloads
    File license

Reply 155 of 742, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roland User wrote:

Work mode selected only by CC32 if CC32 set as 1 = SC55 , if CC32 set as 2 = SC88 , if CC32 set as 3 = SC88Pro , if CC32 set as 4 (default) = SC8820 mode

Yes, CC#32 my mistake, I fixed that.

I created four reset.mid files which change CC#32 exactly like yours back in December when SC-VA came out with the Reset bug.
No need for them now.

Reply 156 of 742, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting, as calculated 1600 instrumets?
If calculated only SC8820 map instruments will be 1233 patches
If plus CM64 table , instruments will be 1360 patches
if plus CM64 PCM and CM64 L/A tables , instruments will be 1424 patches
Where 176 patches if 3 method calculate , or 240 patches if 2 method calculate and 367 patches if 1 method calculate ?
If 1424 patches + SC55 table = 1778 this above than 1600 patches ) Where Error ?

Attachments

• Filename
    table.zip
    File size
    7.76 KiB
    Downloads
    103 downloads
    File license

Reply 157 of 742, by avx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
James-F wrote:

@
The SC-VA behaves like the real hardware and it will not let you change the reset behavior to your liking because you insist using WMP.

My point was more about the very first SC hardware that much of game music was composed to not having a proper GM so even if something managed to send a GM reset it might be unintentional. I did quick test using dosbox and X-Wing and I couldn't repro the problem of the VA changing randomly to GM though I didn't get the game to play the same music that has the problem as I don't know where it is played inside the game.

Reply 158 of 742, by avx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Roland User wrote:

Yes

Good tune files.zip 2.mid ... sounds balanced with the sc-88pro map.

James-F/others how does those jukebox programs solve this problem where the file may reset to GM or GS but they may not set the VA map correctly. The question is.. do the files set the map correctly for the actual hardware or should the file be modified to change to the right map or does the midi jukebox allow setting and remembering the map for each song?

Reply 159 of 742, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just loaded up Prince of Persia 2. Like Doom, it switches Sound Canvas VA to GM2 mode on startup, I'm assuming through GM Reset. Unlike Doom, it doesn't do this when you quit.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM