VOGONS

Reply 440 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And you showed on 1.0.3 version )

Yes, and as I said this (v1.0.3) is still the version you can download from Roland's website at the moment. Try it:
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/zip/sc … a_win_trial.zip

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 441 of 741, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In trial version Sound Bank file SCCore.dll - worked ) more ) if do rewite files in newer version use this file of trial version - all work ) but not otherwise

As it turned out , in SCVA 1.0.7 32 bit and SCVA 1.0.7 64 bit SCCORE.DLL usable only with 64 bit version. In 32 bit version not sounds.

Reply 442 of 741, by citrixscu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are there any published changes from 1.06 to 1.10(S)? Maybe Roland used 1.0x codebase for its cloud platform version and just renamed it 1.10. The DLL files are of different sizes but that could be to integrate the new cloud-based auth rather than Roland Account Service for 1.06 and below. Either way, I hope Roland makes whole those who did pay the $125 for the standalone version going forward.

Reply 443 of 741, by MAN-biker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By the way, versions 1.06+ loads much faster than 1.03 and below.

Games' collection 1983-2017. Nickname MAN-biker is registered!
Black Sect Remake (AGS) - Russian version
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos [CD] - Russian version
Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans - Full walkthrough

Reply 444 of 741, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I can tell, nothing in the emulation behavior or sound changed.
Maybe Roland only fixed some management, activation, and other software related stuff, but not the emulation itself.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 446 of 741, by citrixscu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
James-F wrote:

As far as I can tell, nothing in the emulation behavior or sound changed.
Maybe Roland only fixed some management, activation, and other software related stuff, but not the emulation itself.

Thanks for the info.

Reply 447 of 741, by goldeng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

Not sure if it will interest anyone as everything nowadays becomes virtual, but recently (and mostly inspired by @PhilsComputerLab - thanks Phil!) I managed to acquire a few physical sound generator modules off eBay, mainly to use with DOS games. I always preferred the real thing versus emulation and these modules were found quite cheap, apart from the MT-32 which was expensive as it's very rare to find it in the condition I've found mine along with the original box. The units are:

Roland Multi Timbre Sound Module (MT-32)
Roland Sound Canvas SC-55 (first release, showing just the GS logo - no GM logo on this unit).
Roland Sound Canvas SC-55mkII
Roland Sound Canvas SC-88VL
Yamaha Tone Generator MU80

MT-32.jpg
Filename
MT-32.jpg
File size
65.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Sound Canvases.jpg
Filename
Sound Canvases.jpg
File size
79.23 KiB
Views
File license
MU80.jpg
Filename
MU80.jpg
File size
65.46 KiB
Views
File license

So if anyone would like me to make sound comparison between the physical modules in games, or even versus the virtual plugin I'd be happy to make some recordings and share on my YouTube channel.

By the way, I've also gathered full hardware setup to build a retro PC based on DOS and Windows 98SE (all items are new-old-stock in shrinked packages) and I'm willing to make a video of the build, along with opening each package and showing its content, and with presenting and comparing these sound modules. I'm just waiting for some last video gear equipment that should arrive soon to begin working on the video. I assume that the answer of most of you will be Yes, but it would be nice to hear some feedback if such project with my equipment interest you. So I'd know if the effort is worthwhile. 😀

P.S: The Lazy Susan base in the pictures is motorized and I'm going to use it to present all the hardware pieces in the videos. I built it according to this YouTube tutorial if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi3bsdfLdm8

Cheers,
goldeng

Reply 448 of 741, by citrixscu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Has anyone who purchased the standalone version experienced issues with Roland’s activation program? I had to clean install Win 10 and cannot get the activator to load. I’ve never had this issue before. Basically, when the SCVA VSTi loads, it hangs when loading activator.exe. Activator loads and I can see it in task manager but the Ui for me to input my password never appears. Forcing a close on activator allows SCVA to run but only in trial mode. Any input is appreciated.

Reply 449 of 741, by MAN-biker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Firewall relative trouble... may be? Check this.
Anyway, if you purchased it, write to Roland's support, you spend you money for this!

Reply 450 of 741, by citrixscu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought it was firewall trouble but I explicitly allowed the app through and still no change. I have another win10 laptop that will activate. For a test I tried on a brand new win10 vanilla install again and the app hangs. I'll have to take it up with support. With the migration to Roland Cloud and a buggy activator, Roland isn't making it easy for legacy customers.

Reply 451 of 741, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
goldeng wrote:

So if anyone would like me to make sound comparison between the physical modules in games, or even versus the virtual plugin I'd be happy to make some recordings and share on my YouTube channel.

It would be interesting to get some side-by-sides of the real modules versus the VST emulation. If you have the time, I'd say go for it! 😀

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 452 of 741, by MAN-biker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote:

It would be interesting to get some side-by-sides of the real modules versus the VST emulation. If you have the time, I'd say go for it! 😀

There are MANY comparsions at Youtube!

Reply 453 of 741, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MAN-biker wrote:
Shponglefan wrote:

There are MANY comparsions at Youtube!

Doesn't hurt to have more. 😉

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 454 of 741, by goldeng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Shponglefan, you took the words right out of my mouth. 😉 It's true @MAN-biker, you can't have enough of these comparison videos. I'd say the more people make and share them the better.

Reply 456 of 741, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm having an issue with SCVA and Space Quest V. If you watch this video, pay attention to the 0:14 second mark and you'll hear what sounds like a "stuck note" or something similar. It sounds like the note was supposed to change, but didn't, and it sounds strange.

I've seen something similar happen before when launching a game too quickly after launching SCVA, not giving SCVA enough time to fully initialize before the game loaded, but I've tested with as long as a 5-second delay between the two, with similar results.

Can anyone with SCVA and Space Quest V test and see if they get a similar outcome? Any ideas here?

Reply 458 of 741, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KainXVIII wrote:

Here is mine recorded video (don't mind russian translation 😀 )
https://youtu.be/mYPzxY6ZNH8

Yeah, yours sounds correct. There at the end, that one note shifts down, but mine does not. What gives?

One thing I am wondering about - how did you get your SQ5 installation? Did you install any patches? Originally, I was using Collector's installer (I have the Space Quest Collection Series), but just for kicks, I tried an "alternate" version with the same results.

Reply 459 of 741, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lukeman3000 wrote:
KainXVIII wrote:

Here is mine recorded video (don't mind russian translation 😀 )
https://youtu.be/mYPzxY6ZNH8

Yeah, yours sounds correct. There at the end, that one note shifts down, but mine does not. What gives?

One thing I am wondering about - how did you get your SQ5 installation? Did you install any patches? Originally, I was using Collector's installer (I have the Space Quest Collection Series), but just for kicks, I tried an "alternate" version with the same results.

I don't think that installation or patches matters, mine GoG version sounds same.