VOGONS

List of rarest PC soundcards

Topic actions

Reply 241 of 247, by RomanST

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I picked up an old Laser386/3 and it had one of these in it... I see Midi Land and MD801 on the card. FCC ID tracks to JFWMD-801 but that's about all I could find out.
It has a MPOWER DSP202 and Yamaha YM3812, so maybe a SB clone from 1992? I would love to get it working in the machine it came with.
Any idea what the card is?
Any idea of a dos program that can scan for sound cards, etc...

Attachments

Reply 242 of 247, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RomanST wrote on 2023-03-27, 17:02:
I picked up an old Laser386/3 and it had one of these in it... I see Midi Land and MD801 on the card. FCC ID tracks to JFWMD-801 […]
Show full quote

I picked up an old Laser386/3 and it had one of these in it... I see Midi Land and MD801 on the card. FCC ID tracks to JFWMD-801 but that's about all I could find out.
It has a MPOWER DSP202 and Yamaha YM3812, so maybe a SB clone from 1992? I would love to get it working in the machine it came with.
Any idea what the card is?
Any idea of a dos program that can scan for sound cards, etc...

Probably a Sound Blaster 2.0 clone.
You should be able to just use it with no drivers and just have the SET BLASTER command set in autoexec.bat

Try A220, I7, DMA1. If that doesn't work, try some other settings. Looks like the interrupt is set to 7. Not sure about the others.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 243 of 247, by Anderson77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Picked up this card, anyone has a picture of a box? My first soundcard was the same make and model.

Attachments

Reply 244 of 247, by kenabi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've never seen another one of these, they aren't listed anywhere to speak of (aside from the rather vague FCCID page), and they don't 'exist' in any databases I've found for model #s. *-0018-* just doesn't appear to be a thing according to the collective knowledge of the internet, and yet.. here one is.

It registers as a PAS16 in windows, and dos games that support the 16, all the usual PAS16 software utils work fine, it had a 44 pin breakout dongle cable with the usual midi i/o, audio i/o and a Centronics SCSI. I fear my mom may have inadvertently gotten rid of it (the cable) back when we moved in '97, as I haven't seen it for years and years. and she wouldn't have known what to do with it anyway.

The standard PAS16 drivers work fine for it, and the normal PAS SCSI drivers work perfectly.

But, given how I basically just haven't seen one of this model outside of this example, I'd say that may well qualify as rare.

Attachments

• pasm-fccid-model.jpg
    Filename
    pasm-fccid-model.jpg
    File size
    518.16 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    PASM FCCID and Model number
    File license
    Public domain
  • pasm-back.jpg
    Filename
    pasm-back.jpg
    File size
    1.76 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    pro audio spectrum multimedia back
    File license
    Public domain
  • pasm-front.jpg
    Filename
    pasm-front.jpg
    File size
    1.75 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    pro audio spectrum multimedia front
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by kenabi on 2023-06-12, 21:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 245 of 247, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are we counting things like the Voyetra OP-4001 intelligent MIDI board I scored the other week or are they elsewhere?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 246 of 247, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kenabi wrote on 2023-06-12, 19:00:
I've never seen another one of these, they aren't listed anywhere to speak of (aside from the rather vague FCCID page), and they […]
Show full quote

I've never seen another one of these, they aren't listed anywhere to speak of (aside from the rather vague FCCID page), and they don't 'exist' in any databases I've found for model #s. *-0018-* just doesn't appear to be a thing according to the collective knowledge of the internet, and yet.. here one is.

It registers as a PAS16 in windows, and dos games that support the 16, all the usual PAS16 software utils work fine, it had a 44 pin breakout dongle cable with the usual midi i/o, audio i/o and a Centronics SCSI. I fear my mom may have inadvertently gotten rid of it (the cable) back when we moved in '97, as I haven't seen it for years and years. and she wouldn't have known what to do with it anyway.

The standard PAS16 drivers work fine for it, and the normal PAS SCSI drivers work perfectly.

But, given how I basically just haven't seen one of this model outside of this example, I'd say that may well qualify as rare.

Interesting card! According to Cloudschatze in this post ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V it's an early Media Vision CDPC interface card - there are further images of the card at yjfy (http://www.yjfy.com/museum/sound/Media_Vison0.htm) and on Caps Wiki (https://caps.wiki/wiki/Media_Vision_Pro_AudioSpectrum). Perhaps the breakout cable was an alternative to the full CDPC unit?

I've been looking for its successor, the CDPC XL interface card (650-0024-09) as I have the CD unit (and subwoofer upgrade) but no card.

CA4B1EC1-85AB-41F4-846B-A54BFF0ECD67.jpeg
Filename
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 247 of 247, by kenabi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JidaiGeki wrote on 2023-06-15, 03:29:
Interesting card! According to Cloudschatze in this post ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V it's an early Media Vision CDPC inter […]
Show full quote
kenabi wrote on 2023-06-12, 19:00:
I've never seen another one of these, they aren't listed anywhere to speak of (aside from the rather vague FCCID page), and they […]
Show full quote

Interesting card! According to Cloudschatze in this post ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V it's an early Media Vision CDPC interface card - there are further images of the card at yjfy (http://www.yjfy.com/museum/sound/Media_Vison0.htm) and on Caps Wiki (https://caps.wiki/wiki/Media_Vision_Pro_AudioSpectrum). Perhaps the breakout cable was an alternative to the full CDPC unit?

I've been looking for its successor, the CDPC XL interface card (650-0024-09) as I have the CD unit (and subwoofer upgrade) but no card.

amsuingly enough i still have the cdrom drive it came with. its just a bog standard scsi internal. i'd dig it out and get the brand name of it, but its buried with my older hard drives under a stack of stuff i don't feel like moving. as for the cable, it very much looked like https://www.ebay.com/itm/125927571383 only with a 44pin dsub instead of that ones 15, and it adds the centronics connector. so it indeed may well be a lower cost variant of the breakout box.

as for the scsi port itself, it worked with all scsi drives i hooked up to it, including hard drives, so long as it was the 50 pin (or adapted, as some could be). so the controller is full scsi2(fast) host controller.

i'm guessing, with this new info, it might have been an SI/OEM version of the CDPC package. or some OEM version of an idea that turned into the Studio or something similar. they were all over the map with these variants at the time, trying to grab market share from creative. probably part of why the company failed, since you had all the dev time in multiple cards vs creative cranking out thousands of the same model, mostly. and only updating it as they needed to. kind of puts lie to the creative part of the name (at least, then. though its iffy even now)

as for exactly what kind of package it was bundled in, i got it second hand in '95, in an old system (a 286 i wish i still had) from someone who didn't know a hard drive from a case, much less what a sound card was, so any info on the details were.. long gone. i know it had the card, the cd audio cable, the scsi cable, the external cable/dongle and the CDROM drive. previous owner didn't have anything else that came with it so i don't think it was the external style CDPC package. /shrug

oh, and.. it doesn't need -5v, it supplies its own via the lm7905 voltage regulator just above the audio jacks. anything with the b5 pin truncated seems to derive the -5 from the -12 rail.

it is however, nice to see other examples of this specific variant, even if it does still seem to be slim pickings. i just wish they'd actually show up in search results a little better.

and best of luck on your search for _that_ model, they can be a pain to find most of them.

cheers