List of rarest PC soundcards

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 247, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rawit wrote:
seob wrote:
Got one for you Re: indentify gus max clone Are you the guy who also posted the clones on the Pouet BBS? Because one of the clon […]
Show full quote

Got one for you Re: indentify gus max clone
Are you the guy who also posted the clones on the Pouet BBS? Because one of the clones looks like it was made by the same factory as yours. Also from the Netherlands:

Thread:
http://www.pouet.net/topic.php?which=9981&page=1

Image:
gus_clones.jpg

That board on the left is a Primax Soundstormwave sound-m16b. iax from the fcc code stands for Synergy Advanced Technology Inc. Located in Taipei, Taiwan.

The board i have is most likely called Amigo. There are no FCC codes on this thing.

The ut-8d and 94v-0 are testmethodes the pcb has passed. 9538 Is the manufacturing date, 1995 week 38.
But it could be a manufacturing plant indication.

Last edited by seob on 2016-03-22, 00:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42 of 247, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BTW Vogons member FGB (Amoretro) also owns a Ad Lib Gold and a Pro Audio Spectrum (8bit). Also doesn't Cloudschatze own an Ad Lib Gold with surround module?

Reply 43 of 247, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

You're joking? Haven't seen an SCC-1 in ages and at the moment there is only one for sale in the whole world when searched on eBay. You guys might have piles of this stuff over in Russia, but over here it simply does not exist. Literaly since I grabbed mine 11 years ago I have only seen two more on sale and have never seen another in real life. And I have seen very few SW1000XG's, plus the fact most of the ones I knew to exist died, mine included. That and the MU128 it was derived from are the black sheep of the MU series because they never worked properly.

I suppose the problem here is a regional difference, which makes you wonder what the numbers are like globally. So it's your call, if they are in fact more common than they have appeared to be here, feel free to remove them.

There were two, or to be exact one SCC-1 and one SCC-1A, I just bought the SCC-1A 30 minuts ago.

I needed a real MPU-401 card anyhow and they are also expensive so I bit the bullet on this one. Im normally not the kind of person who likes to pay more than 100 euro for anything retro related, rare or not.

Is the SCC-1A much more common than the original SCC-1?

From my very limited knowledge the only difference is the extra instruments in the SCC-1A, are there any other differences?

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 45 of 247, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

SCC-1 is the most common.

Nice to know, thanks! 😀

I will not add me to the list until the sound card is here, I dont want to jinx it so it gets lost in transit.

I read that the SCC-1A cant handle "capital tone feedback" but I also read that this also affects the SC-55mkII which I also own so Im guessing this isnt a huge issue?

I know Jazz-16 cards isnt very popular here on Vogons but perhaps my "Multiwave Innovation AudioWave Platinum 16" could be considered rare?
Its chipset is only named Jazz and not Jazz 16 though "MVD120B D" vs MVD1216 B so perhaps its less buggy...

An old image from 2013.
86aImage011.jpg

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-03-22, 00:07. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 47 of 247, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
seob wrote:

I also own a logitech soundman wave. This is also a card you don't see much.

Isn't that card a Media Vision PAS16 clone?

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 48 of 247, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
seob wrote:

Logitech Soundman Games is even more rare.

Reply 49 of 247, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Beegle wrote:
seob wrote:

Slightly enhanced IIRC, but yeah, PAS16 chipset.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 50 of 247, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moved some more posts over from the other thread. 😁

carlostex wrote:

Besides the PC Mockinboard that Trixter mentioned there's also the precursor to the (presumably) Innovation SSI-2001 card, The Entertainer. This is a card that was mentioned in the game Gunship documentation and apparently is supported by 2 games only, the former mentioned Gunship and Pirates!.

VOGONS bonus points to anyone who ever tracks one down, haven't even seen a photo of one yet 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 51 of 247, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Beegle wrote:
seob wrote:

It's nowhere like that. Logitech SoundMan is an OEM PAS16, but Logitech SoundMan Wave is entirely different card based on Media Vision Jazz16 chipset with an OPL4 synthesizer added.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 52 of 247, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
easy_john wrote:
Ok, I'd like to keep tracking of rarest PC soundcards and available owners (if they do not mind to see a nickname in the table). […]
Show full quote

Ok, I'd like to keep tracking of rarest PC soundcards and available owners (if they do not mind to see a nickname in the table).

Created this spreadsheet:
Google Docs

Please correct men and add missing info.

--- Original post ---

If we talking about rare PC soundcards, for me the most rarest sound is:
- Innovation SSI-2001 (never see this board for sale, don't know who own this board, but now we have a replica available)
- Adlib Gold 1000 (only 3-4 vogons member has this board)
- IBM Music Feature (lot people has, me too)
- Omni Labs AudioMaster AMS-8000 (only one known vogon member)
less rarity (almost every soundcard collector has most this boards):
- Roland LAPC-I
- Pro Audio Spectrum 8bit and PAS+
- Creative Game Blaster
- Ensoniq SoundScape Elite
- Creative SB Pro1 (dual OPL2) (clone - Sound Commander FX)
- Covox Sound Master, Voice Master, Sound Master + (carlostex and Elianda own), Sound Master II
- MediaTrix AudioTrix Pro (3D-XG ?)
- AVM Apex (maybe?)
- Gravis Ultrasound Extreme
- Core Dynamics DYNASonix 3D/PRO (Gus pnp clone with additional features)
- TurtleBeach Multisound Classic
- Yamaha SW60XG
All other boards is more or less available for sale and not worth to mention here.

And if we adding midi dautherboards - there are some rare, like:
- Ensonuq SoundScape DB
- Terratec Wave XTable
- Yamaha DB60XG (original, not NEC XR385)
- Korg AI20 (Trust Korg Super Sound Module / Guillemot Korg Wave Upgrade)
- Korg clones (MediaVision Pro Wave / X Technology TopWave 32)
- Orchid Wavebooster /2,/4,/4fx (never see for sale)
- Creative WaveBlaster 1 CT1900

Did I remember something?

I take it you're only interested in ISA cards, right?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 53 of 247, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

Also doesn't Cloudschatze own an Ad Lib Gold with surround module?

As far I know, Cloudschatze sold surround module to hard1k, and hard1k now working to create a replica.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 54 of 247, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
seob wrote:

Don't know, how rare it is, but added.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb

Reply 55 of 247, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sprcorreia wrote:

Logitech Soundman Games is even more rare.

Do you have a photo?

Reply 56 of 247, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
easy_john wrote:

As far I know, Cloudschatze sold surround module to hard1k, and hard1k now working to create a replica.

😳

Although i'm shocked i approve of the plan to create a replica.

Reply 57 of 247, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote:

I take it you're only interested in ISA cards, right?

Not only, but in general - yes, since mostly ISA cards was released in small batch.
Do you know rare non-ISA PC soundcards?

Reply 58 of 247, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really don't understand why Gravis Ultrasound Extreme's are so rare now. Dixons Holland sold loads of them, even after DirectX took off and such cards weren't attractive anymore. I believe for 69 gulden. They just vanished somehow. Had one too. Wish I kept it, could have paid my mortgage with that.

The Sound-M16B does look different, but it has the same Ultra-Sound Compatible silkscreening going on. Somehow the Netherlands got a lot of Gravis stuff.

YouTube

Reply 59 of 247, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

suddenly:

- Primax SoundStorm Wave (GF1) - there are two variants of cards from the well known scanner and mouse producer. Re-labeled Altrasound as Sound M-16B and different Sound M-16C with 4x CD-ROM Interfaces.
- Synergy ViperMAX (GF1) - same card later repacked as UltraSound Extreme, but with only 512 kB RAM on board.

The picture with the 2 green cards floating through this thread should be the Primax SoundStorm Wave. The Synergy Vipermax might be a bit more rare than the GUS Extreme, I'm only aware of a handful of those.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]