VOGONS

List of rarest PC soundcards

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 247, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
seob wrote:

Hm! Interesting, never see this clone before.
But what is the name of this board? "UltraPromise-2"?

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 21 of 247, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, cheers. Added a few entries, two of which I don't own, but I felt they were worth being documented anyway.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 22 of 247, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

Ah, cheers. Added a few entries, two of which I don't own, but I felt they were worth being documented anyway.

Hm, I don't think, that we can name this cards "Yamaha SW1000XG" and "Roland SCC-1" as rare. Both are easy to find on ebay many times in a year.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb

Reply 23 of 247, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're joking? Haven't seen an SCC-1 in ages and at the moment there is only one for sale in the whole world when searched on eBay. You guys might have piles of this stuff over in Russia, but over here it simply does not exist. Literaly since I grabbed mine 11 years ago I have only seen two more on sale and have never seen another in real life. And I have seen very few SW1000XG's, plus the fact most of the ones I knew to exist died, mine included. That and the MU128 it was derived from are the black sheep of the MU series because they never worked properly.

I suppose the problem here is a regional difference, which makes you wonder what the numbers are like globally. So it's your call, if they are in fact more common than they have appeared to be here, feel free to remove them.

Reply 24 of 247, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

You're joking? Haven't seen an SCC-1 in ages

How this can be?

HighTreason wrote:

and at the moment there is only one for sale in the whole world when searched on eBay.

Yes, one for sale and one sold last 45(?) days.

HighTreason wrote:

You guys might have piles of this stuff over in Russia, but over here it simply does not exist.

No, there was no roland market in Russia, so we don't have a bunch of old-stock soundboards. But I was able to buy about 4-6 SCC-1 from ebay last few years. I've sold all a year ago, when I able to find complete box version.

HighTreason wrote:

And I have seen very few SW1000XG's,

Same here, I have three previously (and one was from GB ebay), now only one.
Four for sale on ebay now and 6 sold last 45(?) days.

HighTreason wrote:

I suppose the problem here is a regional difference, which makes you wonder what the numbers are like globally. So it's your call, if they are in fact more common than they have appeared to be here, feel free to remove them.

[/quote]
Looks like you only search on local ebay or local forums, where we don't have local ebay here in Russia, so we always search worldwide, and I see both cards quite regularly.

Reply 25 of 247, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always search worldwide too and my saved searches are set to the same. It would be pointless not to, if I only searched locally it would be almost impossible to find anything pre-Pentium MMX because nobody in the UK ever has that stuff. It turns up from time to time, but with a horribly inflated price.

I still haven't seen much of these around in recent years. Who knows, maybe these people don't ship to the UK, maybe eBay's search doesn't work or maybe I'm just really crappy at paying attention to things, I honestly can't say for sure, so all I can say is what I see.

Like I said, no worries. If I screwed up then remove them from the list.

Reply 26 of 247, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kouwell Virtuoso - GF1 based soundcard (GUS compatible) ... I've only seen it once so far.

http://i.imgur.com/qmDzQSA.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hIjvSRm.jpg

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 27 of 247, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DynaSonix 3D

http://i.imgur.com/WWpeVxz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iqEb3mf.jpg

I'd also strongly encourage removing the "average price" in that list ... it's random eBay prices, not average prices. I got my former IBM MFC for free (with MIDI breakout box) and the unused SoundScape Elite for 1€
The DynaSonix was also bought by me for $45, resold for 60€, then sold once again on eBay for 350€

[Z?]

Reply 28 of 247, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rawit wrote:
Are you the guy who also posted the clones on the Pouet BBS? Because one of the clones looks like it was made by the same factor […]
Show full quote
seob wrote:

Got one for you Re: indentify gus max clone
There are 2 cards of this that i know. One i still own, one i traded.

Are you the guy who also posted the clones on the Pouet BBS? Because one of the clones looks like it was made by the same factory as yours. Also from the Netherlands:

Thread:
http://www.pouet.net/topic.php?which=9981&page=1

Image:
gus_clones.jpg

no that's not me, but mine cards where also found in the Netherlands. But this is a differentboard. Mine has a big bioschip, these two not. Also mine only has ide, not the other interfaces.

Reply 29 of 247, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shock__ wrote:

I'd also strongly encourage removing the "average price" in that list ... it's random eBay prices, not average prices. I got my former IBM MFC for free (with MIDI breakout box) and the unused SoundScape Elite for 1€
The DynaSonix was also bought by me for $45, resold for 60€, then sold once again on eBay for 350€

I agree. I hate the current trend of labeling for how much an obsolete card should sell for, with the reference being eBay.

BTW, there is a Vogons member that owns a Sound Commander FX. I'm just not sure if i should write his name there myself.

Reply 30 of 247, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
easy_john wrote:

- Innovation SSI-2001 (never see this board for sale, don't know who own this board, but now we have a replica available)

It's Cloudschatze who owns one. He provided a very high resolution scans of his SSI-2001 board, which helped much in building the replica.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 31 of 247, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Added my name to most of the MIDI daughterboards listed. Didn't extend that list yet, but it could be longer.

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 32 of 247, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
easy_john wrote:

spreadshit

Come on! You don't want people laughing their asses off when trying to imagine such a thing.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 33 of 247, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bristlehog wrote:
easy_john wrote:

spreadshit

Come on! You don't want people laughing their asses off when trying to imagine such a thing.

Actually, I've filed that one away for use the next time I personally want to vent mental diarrhea upon Google Docs. 😁 "Here's a spreadshit for you guys" 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 34 of 247, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, this sh**t is really in the swing 😀
It might surely help determine the rarity factor *as long as everybody takes it seriously and will upload true values/quantities etc*

Last edited by Jolaes76 on 2016-03-21, 19:22. Edited 1 time in total.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 35 of 247, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jolaes76 wrote:

Guys, this sh**t is really in the swing 😀
It might help surely help determine the rarity factor *as long as everybody takes it seriously and will upload true values/quantities etc*

As long as it remains in this community, it's a highly selective impression it might represent at best. Also: this kind of list requires a certain degree of dedication/mindset, meaning there'd just be enthusiasts/collectors adding to it (without any verification) - what about cards remaining in the wild and/or hoards?

[Z?]

Reply 36 of 247, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

I'd also strongly encourage removing the "average price" in that list

Done.

Reply 37 of 247, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CHiLL72 wrote:

Added my name to most of the MIDI daughterboards listed. Didn't extend that list yet, but it could be longer.

I think, you can do this, since most of DB is quite rare nowadays.

Reply 38 of 247, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bristlehog wrote:

Fixed. (As for me - sounds similar :)

Reply 39 of 247, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I notice the PLG entry is gone. I suppose you could argue they don't count to most people, given they are useless for most applications anyway.