Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 186, by darry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zapbuzz wrote on 2020-05-17, 03:47:

it sounds great on my home HIFI with 4 speaker setup however if i enable 3d sound it won't let me record it thus I will need another sound card to patch it into to record 4 track audio in windows 98se so what I need to know is, what is the maximum attachment size of this forum as i can probably attach a .wav or .mp3 of this soundcard and a photo for everyone to sample. Alternatively I could post files to archive.org and link them but i'd prefer to post here.

It is 5MB .

Reply 181 of 186, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-17, 03:49:
zapbuzz wrote on 2020-05-17, 03:47:

it sounds great on my home HIFI with 4 speaker setup however if i enable 3d sound it won't let me record it thus I will need another sound card to patch it into to record 4 track audio in windows 98se so what I need to know is, what is the maximum attachment size of this forum as i can probably attach a .wav or .mp3 of this soundcard and a photo for everyone to sample. Alternatively I could post files to archive.org and link them but i'd prefer to post here.

It is 5MB .

awesome thanks darry I will post shortly

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2020-05-18, 02:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 182 of 186, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a link to a little video I made awhile ago with my ymf724 I had the Y-XG100 plus sequencer play it then I put it through winamp with milkdrop visualization its pretty sweet https://archive.org/details/colourfulmedley

I was so happy to get this for $15 in auction it serves as a great DOS game blaster as well as a windows midi player.
(These things keeps us home with something to do with COVID19 pandemic social distancing)

Never missed a beat running on an Abit VP6 with Via apollo chipset

Attachments

• 20200518_060007[1].jpg
    Filename
    20200518_060007[1].jpg
    File size
    1.73 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by zapbuzz on 2020-05-18, 08:48. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 183 of 186, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zapbuzz wrote on 2020-05-18, 02:41:

Here is a link to a little video I made awhile ago with my ymf724 I had the Y-XG100 plus sequencer play it then I put it through winamp with milkdrop visualization its pretty sweet https://archive.org/details/colourfulmedley

I was so happy to get this for $15 in auction it serves as a great DOS game blaster as well as a windows midi player.
(These things keeps us home with something to do with COVID19 pandemic social distancing)

I have that exact same card in my Compaq Deskpro EN-SFF, it's a fantastic PCI card for i810/i815 systems.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 185 of 186, by darry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zapbuzz wrote on 2020-05-22, 08:05:

Has there been any success getting a quality driver port to linux for this card to play dos games in dos box? or even play midi in linux?

According to this YMF7X4 XG wavetable is implemented in software, which is likely proprietary to Yamaha . I would not expect it ever be implemented in Linux .
https://sourceforge.net/p/alsa/mailman/message/16591534/

EDIT: According to my understanding of the datasheet, only the actual mixing could be implemented in hardware. The XG effects engine is software on the YMF724 .

Attachments

• Filename
    YMF724F.PDF
    File size
    267.08 KiB
    Downloads
    2 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 186 of 186, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-22, 08:50:
According to this YMF7X4 XG wavetable is implemented in software, which is likely proprietary to Yamaha . I would not expect it […]
Show full quote
zapbuzz wrote on 2020-05-22, 08:05:

Has there been any success getting a quality driver port to linux for this card to play dos games in dos box? or even play midi in linux?

According to this YMF7X4 XG wavetable is implemented in software, which is likely proprietary to Yamaha . I would not expect it ever be implemented in Linux .
https://sourceforge.net/p/alsa/mailman/message/16591534/

EDIT: According to my understanding of the datasheet, only the actual mixing could be implemented in hardware. The XG effects engine is software on the YMF724 .

Still, it is hardware assisted so decent sound for windows on specs that the xg software app would struggle
A good rival for its time especially price wise and if one can play DOS games in windows that allows access to the XG synth.