VOGONS

Reply 40 of 127, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll see if I can do the hack for you so it works with i810. I'll probably post it in the other thread when I do to keep all versions together.

Is your chipset plain 810, 810E or 810E2? They use different southbridge chips and with different IDs.

If it's 810E2 which I suspect it may be, you can try the setupds already edited for ICH2 posted in the other thread.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 41 of 127, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

I'll see if I can do the hack for you so it works with i810. I'll probably post it in the other thread when I do to keep all versions together.

Is your chipset plain 810, 810E or 810E2? They use different southbridge chips and with different IDs.

If it's 810E2 which I suspect it may be, you can try the setupds already edited for ICH2 posted in the other thread.

That's very kind of you, thank you. Here are photos of the three Intel ICs on the mobo. If you need photos of anything else, please let me know.

P1120490.JPG
Filename
P1120490.JPG
File size
918.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
P1120486.JPG
Filename
P1120486.JPG
File size
933.39 KiB
Views
File license
P1120491.JPG
Filename
P1120491.JPG
File size
853.69 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 42 of 127, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:
That's very kind of you, thank you. Here are photos of the three Intel ICs on the mobo. If you need photos of anything else, ple […]
Show full quote
stamasd wrote:

That's very kind of you, thank you. Here are photos of the three Intel ICs on the mobo. If you need photos of anything else, please let me know.

P1120490.JPG
P1120486.JPG
P1120491.JPG

By the S-Specs of the ICs

The northbridge with the S-Spec SL3P7 and part number: FW82810, is the plain i810

The Southbridge with the S-Spec SL3MA and part number: 82801AA, is the original ICH1

The other chip is likely the CMOS

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 43 of 127, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it's the original i810 chipset, with ICH southbridge. Let me check a few things.

(edit) Hm, the original setupds.exe from package 3.16 found here http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/lsi/download/ DOES have the PCI ID of the ICH southbridge. It should work unmodified on your motherboard. Are you sure you're using 3.16? If not download it from the link above (direct link: http://download.yamaha.com/file/46447 ) and give it a go. It should work. But only if all other conditions are met (SB-link cable installed etc)

Also try editing the file ds.ini to reflect the IRQ that your card actually gets assigned by the BIOS.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 44 of 127, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will try to edit ds.ini. Not sure what to plug in for some values such as

INTAIRQ=
IRQMODE=
DMAMODE=
FIRSTTRY=
SLAVEBASE=
SLAVEADDR=

Could you post your settings in ds.ini? Thanks!

Reply 45 of 127, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't do that now because the machine I used to do the tests in my previous thread is currently in pieces, packed in boxes and in storage. But you should leave the file as it is set automatically except for the IRQ.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 46 of 127, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:
I will try to edit ds.ini. Not sure what to plug in for some values such as […]
Show full quote

I will try to edit ds.ini. Not sure what to plug in for some values such as

INTAIRQ=
IRQMODE=
DMAMODE=
FIRSTTRY=
SLAVEBASE=
SLAVEADDR=

Could you post your settings in ds.ini? Thanks!

Just change the FIRSTTRY= to 1, then SETUPDS will automatically reconfigure.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 47 of 127, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting thread. None of my Tualatin, i815/i845/i875/i915, VIA MVP3, 440BX, 430TX/VX, ServerWorks, ALi Aladdin V, or VIA 266T boards have anything listed in the manual under SB-LINK, SBLINK, SB LINK, SB/LINK, PC-PCI, PCPCI, PC PCI, or PC/PCI. At least those are the terms I searched for in the pdfs. Does anyone know how to add an SB-LINK to supporting chipsets via some mod for boards which do not have the header.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 48 of 127, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Interesting thread. None of my Tualatin, i815/i845/i875/i915, VIA MVP3, 440BX, 430TX/VX, ServerWorks, ALi Aladdin V, or VIA 266T boards have anything listed in the manual under SB-LINK, SBLINK, SB LINK, SB/LINK, PC-PCI, PCPCI, PC PCI, or PC/PCI. At least those are the terms I searched for in the pdfs. Does anyone know how to add an SB-LINK to supporting chipsets via some mod for boards which do not have the header.

Not doable unless the board manufacturer has already made connections to the relevant contacts under the southbridge chip and brought them somewhere out on the moptherboard. Some motherboards do have the signals brought out by traces, and just don't have the header soldered to them. I found a few such motherboards and added the header myself, and in most cases it worked (see the previous posts in the thread about that). I have become pretty good at spotting unpopulated PC/PCI solder pads on pictures from ebay auctions. I must have looked at hundreds of them by now. There's also information about it in my other thread on the subject YMF744, DOS, no DMA? (PC/PCI, SB-link tests) (edit YES DMA, read further down)

If the manufacturer didn't bring the signals out, then adding them yourself would involve unsoldering the southbridge chip (in most cases it's in BGA package), finding the relevant pads on the motherboard, soldering wires to then, somehow bringing the wires out in a manner that wouldn't interfere with the next step, soldering back the southbridge chip after you've reballed it (added solder balls to make it a BGA package again), then adding a header to the signals you brought out and attaching it somewhere on the motherboard. IMHO this can't be done at a home enthusiast level, as it requires access to specialized equipment - and even then it would be iffy.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 49 of 127, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am looking at one of my MVP3 motherboards at the moment and the southbridge is QFP, not BGA. In which case, it would not be very difficult if we know the pins to solder and, if any, external discrete components to add. The Southbridge on this board is the VIA VT82C586B. Unfortunately, I do not see any reference to SB-LINK or PC/PCI on the datasheet. http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pd … VT82C586B.shtml

EDIT: Referenced MVP3 motherboard is an FIC PA-2013.

Last edited by feipoa on 2016-12-11, 11:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 50 of 127, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The manual for the EPOX EP-MVP3C mentions that the SB-LINK is specifically for the AWE64D PCI. Have people confirmed that this motherboard/chipset will work with other PCI sound cards in DOS via the SB-LINK?

Reply 51 of 127, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ I've tried that 586B southbridge and SB-Link across various boards: SS7, Slot 1 and S370. Also a similar Epox board as the one above, and SB-Link worked in DOS using PC-PCI and S-IRQ using YMF724 cards.

Regarding datasheets, you might find distributed DMA mentioned instead for the chipset.

Reply 52 of 127, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indeed, it is listed under distributed DMA. Would anybody with a QFP 586B southbridge motherboard be willing to trace out which pins are needed and any accompanying components?

Reply 53 of 127, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As a rule of thumb, PC/PCI is supported primarily by Intel chipsets (from BX/LX till chipset 845) with very few chipsets from other manufacturers supporting it. Conversely, DDMA is supported primarily on VIA chipsets, with very few Intel chipsets supporting it (none after BX AFAIK).

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 55 of 127, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

What is the difference between DDMA and PC/PCI (SB-LINK)?

Most apparently the physical as PC/PCI requires it's own cable from the sound card to the motherboard. In my experience VIA DDMA works for most sound cards up to the KT133A/686B chipset, for newer VIA chipsets DDMA compatibility are more limited.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 56 of 127, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

What is the difference between DDMA and PC/PCI (SB-LINK)?

They're both legacy DMA solutions but PC/PCI uses a physical signal to the host card with the SB-Link connection, bypassing the PCI bus to access ISA signals.

Reply 57 of 127, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ASUS P5A ver 1.06 has solder pads for SB-Link, but no header

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 58 of 127, by blackmasked

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I own a Lucky Star 6ABX2V (i440BX) and it does indeed have an PC/PCI a.k.a SB-LINK connector on board. Never used it but it's there ;]

DOS build: Gigabyte GA-586T2, P200 MMX, 64MB RAM, Tseng ET6000 4MB, Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, Roland SC-55mkII, Yamaha MU-80
98SE build: MSI MS-6163 Pro, PIII 650MHz, 256MB RAM, Voodoo3 3000, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum, Yamaha SW1000XG

Reply 59 of 127, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think most people never used SB Link on boards which have ISA bus. Because it's madness to want SB Link if you have ISA. SB Link is needed on boards which haven't ISA. But manufacturers removed it exactly when ISA was removed. And it is doubly madness.