VOGONS

Aztech Sound Galaxy cards

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 180, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Compared to a decent SB16 model, I don't hear any improvement. My card also have a tendency to switch between quiet/noisy state during idling and playing.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 81 of 180, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Did some tests with mentioned Aztech Sound Galaxy Multimedia 16 ABO. Can't call this card quiet at all, at least with low-impedance headphones.

I have the Multimedia 16 ABI (AZT-2316), this is one of the best SBPro2 clones around, has a very clean sounding coded, even better than the original SBPro2.
It has original OPL3, bug free MPU-401, Wavetable, and excellent drivers, definitely a good choice for a retro PC,,, but it lacks a lowpass filter over the PCM sounds, but so does the Audician 32 Plus.
BUT, it has an issue in my system (P200 MMX) that some games freeze, like Prince of Persia and Supaplex, these games use singlce-cycle DMA.

Its self noise is very quiet, but you have to set the mixer properly and use a correct line load (10k).

volset.exe /x:16 /v:16 /f:16 /m:0 /c:0 /l:0 /m:0 /r:l

No ISA card that I know of has headphone output, the output impedance is build for line inputs (10k load) or Speaker (8ohm load but not headphones).
I don't know where the 'trend' came from to plugging headphones into the line-out or speaker-out of a vintage ISA card, but it is definitely wrong and will sound wrong.
The right way is to use a headphone amplifier or mixer with dedicated headphone output.

Anyway, I've had a chance to test the AZT-2316 based card again, and it sounds good even without a lowpass filter.
But as I stated earlier, it has some issues with single-cycle DMA mode, on my machine at least.

@Moderator
Please move this thread to the Marvin->Sound board.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 83 of 180, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
James-F wrote:
I have the Multimedia 16 ABI (AZT-2316), this is one of the best SBPro2 clones around, has a very clean sounding coded, even bet […]
Show full quote
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Did some tests with mentioned Aztech Sound Galaxy Multimedia 16 ABO. Can't call this card quiet at all, at least with low-impedance headphones.

I have the Multimedia 16 ABI (AZT-2316), this is one of the best SBPro2 clones around, has a very clean sounding coded, even better than the original SBPro2.
It has original OPL3, bug free MPU-401, Wavetable, and excellent drivers, definitely a good choice for a retro PC,,, but it lacks a lowpass filter over the PCM sounds, but so does the Audician 32 Plus.
BUT, it has an issue in my system (P200 MMX) that some games freeze, like Prince of Persia and Supaplex, these games use singlce-cycle DMA.

Its self noise is very quiet, but you have to set the mixer properly and use a correct line load (10k).

volset.exe /x:16 /v:16 /f:16 /m:0 /c:0 /l:0 /m:0 /r:l

No ISA card that I know of has headphone output, the output impedance is build for line inputs (10k load) or Speaker (8ohm load but not headphones).
I don't know where the 'trend' came from to plugging headphones into the line-out or speaker-out of a vintage ISA card, but it is definitely wrong and will sound wrong.
The right way is to use a headphone amplifier or mixer with dedicated headphone output.

Anyway, I've had a chance to test the AZT-2316 based card again, and it sounds good even without a lowpass filter.
But as I stated earlier, it has some issues with single-cycle DMA mode, on my machine at least.

@Moderator
Please move this thread to the Marvin->Sound board.

You're right, but I think it's worth explaining more. The line out amp will source plenty of current to drive a set of headphones, but 600 ohm headphones require larger voltage swings to work properly. A normal line out or speaker out will sound very quiet at normal volume settings on the mixer which might tempt users to overdrive the output into clipping, severely distorting the sound. Headphones closer to 8 ohms will, of course, not suffer so heavily or perhaps at all.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 84 of 180, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't call the on-board IC amplifier on an old ISA card a hi-fi device, but it might drive headphones properly.
On the newer AZT2316 based Aztech card I see a TDA1517P which should give a 5W 0.5% THD into 4ohm, half the power for 8 ohm etc..
For a typical 16ohm headphone max power will be around 1W , that is plenty to drive the headphone into distortion and your ears to bleed.
Most portable headphones rated around 100db SPL per 1mW so the on-board amplifier should be plenty.

But, I will not trust the amplifier IC to put out frequency response or self noise characteristics similar to the line-out with a proper 10k load.
One thing is definitely sure, 16ohm headphone should not be plugged into the line-out jack because its output op-amps provide no current and will distort the waveform and/or frequency response and who knows what else pretty much immediately.

I can run a test with 8 ohm load power resistor and tap that through a 1K resistor into my test equipment to see how the amplifier behaves, but meh...

Reply 85 of 180, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
James-F wrote:
I wouldn't call the on-board IC amplifier on an old ISA card a hi-fi device, but it might drive headphones properly. On the newe […]
Show full quote

I wouldn't call the on-board IC amplifier on an old ISA card a hi-fi device, but it might drive headphones properly.
On the newer AZT2316 based Aztech card I see a TDA1517P which should give a 5W 0.5% THD into 4ohm, half the power for 8 ohm etc..
For a typical 16ohm headphone max power will be around 1W , that is plenty to drive the headphone into distortion and your ears to bleed.
Most portable headphones rated around 100db SPL per 1mW so the on-board amplifier should be plenty.

But, I will not trust the amplifier IC to put out frequency response or self noise characteristics similar to the line-out with a proper 10k load.
One thing is definitely sure, 16ohm headphone should not be plugged into the line-out jack because its output op-amps provide no current and will distort the waveform and/or frequency response and who knows what else pretty much immediately.

I can run a test with 8 ohm load power resistor and tap that through a 1K resistor into my test equipment to see how the amplifier behaves, but meh...

Totally agree there. A line level output will be completely unsuitable for driving unamplified headphones. Also, kind of annoying that the PDF for the amp chip doesn't have a THD vs Power curve. I'm guessing that THD will improve a little bit more when operating further from saturation, but it's hard to know for sure without testing.

Reply 86 of 180, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Which Win 3.11 / Dos driver is it for the Packard Bell ISA Sound Card 030056 / Aztech one?

It is: -FCC-ID I38-MMSN837

I can't find a match. Please can someone help?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Reply 87 of 180, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apparently the high-pitched whine I was complaining about in the NX Pro was from the Inverter Air Conditioner PWM frequency (around 16kHz) on the power line.
Turning the air conditioner off stopped the high pitched noise... 😵

So the NXPro is quite good SBPro2 clone but still has issues with faster systems than a 486 66mHz, and also the reversed stereo (only PCM) issue.

Reply 90 of 180, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
andrewreader wrote:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

Which Win 3.11 / Dos driver is it for the Packard Bell ISA Sound Card 030056 / Aztech one?

It is: -FCC-ID I38-MMSN837

I can't find a match. Please can someone help?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Post of a high quality picture of your card (front and back).
I might have a driver for it.

Reply 92 of 180, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like a variant of
http://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_aztech_sou … xy_pro16ii.html
http://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_aztech_azt1605.html

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 93 of 180, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It actually sounds like this is an AZT2316 based card, as per Jesolo in the following post.
Aztech Sound Galaxy Nova 16 Extra- good card?

You'll know with certainty if you're okay with peeling away the stickers on the chips.

If the controller is a '2316, you should be able to use drivers from any of the third gen cards. Try the ones here:
ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/DOWNLOAD/sg/P16II/

You need P16IIB-1.ZIP and P16IIB-2.ZIP for the contents of the driver disks. OS specific drivers are in the 2316xxxxx.ZIP files.

Reply 94 of 180, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
It actually sounds like this is an AZT2316 based card, as per Jesolo in the following post. Aztech Sound Galaxy Nova 16 Extra- g […]
Show full quote

It actually sounds like this is an AZT2316 based card, as per Jesolo in the following post.
Aztech Sound Galaxy Nova 16 Extra- good card?

You'll know with certainty if you're okay with peeling away the stickers on the chips.

You should be able to use drivers from any of the third gen cards. Try the ones here:
ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/DOWNLOAD/sg/P16II/

You need P16IIB-1.ZIP and P16IIB-2.ZIP for the contents of the driver disks. OS specific drivers are in the 2316xxxxx.ZIP files.

I tend to agree with gdjacobs that this is most likely a third generation sound card with one of the AZT-2316 chipsets.
This particular model is very similar to the 1st generation Sound Galaxy Basic Audio 16 (I38-MMSN813), which was a budget model, since it only has 3 audio jacks and not 4.

If the above drivers do not work with your card, then you can try out one of the drivers that I've attached (you can extract the files within the executable with a utility like 7-zip).

Attachments

• Filename
    MP163D6 (v3.00).RAR
    File size
    1.03 MiB
    Downloads
    93 downloads
    File comment
    Multimedia Pro 16 IIA-3D - v3.00
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    M16A3D_v1.02.zip
    File size
    796.21 KiB
    Downloads
    88 downloads
    File comment
    Multimedia Pro 16 IIA-3D - v1.02
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 95 of 180, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your help.

I've tried the drivers and nothing..

On the drivers that Jesolo provided, there was no 'hardware not detected' message but no sound either.

I give up with that card.

I had a replacement ESS ES186F ISA Sound card, but when this is installed, the mouse driver won't find the mouse.

So I'll take a gamble with another ISA sound card on EBay.

This is for my 'new' 'old' Dell Dimension P90.

Reply 96 of 180, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
andrewreader wrote:
Thanks for your help. […]
Show full quote

Thanks for your help.

I've tried the drivers and nothing..

On the drivers that Jesolo provided, there was no 'hardware not detected' message but no sound either.

I give up with that card.

I had a replacement ESS ES186F ISA Sound card, but when this is installed, the mouse driver won't find the mouse.

So I'll take a gamble with another ISA sound card on EBay.

This is for my 'new' 'old' Dell Dimension P90.

I'm not all that familiar with the Dell Dimension P90, but if it has an onboard sound card just make sure it is disabled in the BIOS.
The mouse not working could be a possible resource conflict.

Reply 99 of 180, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
andrewreader wrote:

There is no built in sound. And no Bios options for any re-assigning of any irqs etc. It's very basic.

Try changing the DMA and I settings off your sound card.
The default settings are DMA 1 and IRQ 5.