VOGONS

Reply 40 of 122, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

I have a "ready to go zip" simply put the card in a pci-slot and extract the drivers to your dosdrive, it should work ootb.
Can I put a Pentium4Mobile in that machine? the board is FSC-D1644. Does not seem to be compatible with a mobile P4 ?

Can you provide a link to that ZIP archive?
I usually don't care for official support as long as it works, I'm using a Pentium 4-M 1.6GHz in a Gigabyte OEM board from a Packard Bell/NEC computer. One concern is that Pentium 4-M lacks heat spreader exposing the fragile core.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 41 of 122, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sparky4 wrote:

ok and how do i use the ymfirq utility with out locking up my computer?

11:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Yamaha Corporation YMF-724F [DS-1 Audio Controller] (rev 03)
i think it is an xwave 3000 or so i cannot remember completely..

Load it before the DSDMA TSR at least.

YAMAHA YMF724/744/754 patched dos driver for SiS63x/73x/745 (or later?) chipset users.

This driver does not need himem.sys and emm386.exe.

usage:

1. Keep IRQ 5 free.
2. Keep I/O 8000h free.
3. Run "setupds /s" in pure dos.
4. Run "ymfirq 5 edge".
5. "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4"

-------
Changes

September 7, 2002
- Added "edge" option to ymfirq.exe.

YouTube channel

Reply 42 of 122, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

@Kamerat

Do you mine trying Dune 2? I could never make it work with a YMF724, so i'm wondering about a 744. Problem was that as soon as a PCM sound was played during intro the whole system would lock up.

Tried it both in DDMA mode and with the DSDMA TSR. The game plays one sample and locks the computer but the music keeps on playing. Also tried disabeling L2 cache with the same result.

Setup:
Pentium 4-M @ 1.2GHz
GigaByte GA-8SIMLNF REV 2.0 (SiS 645DX/962UA)
512MB DDR
GeForce4 MX 420
Yamaha YMF744 (YMF-744B rev 10)

Edit: Gave the ALS4000 in DDMA mode a try on the same setup, seems to work fine.

YouTube channel

Reply 43 of 122, by sparky4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

lowered MAXEXT to 458752 and running quake shareware crashs my pc..
should i go lower?

also if i use ymfirq it will always find the card and CRASH no matter what i put in.. (even if it is 0)

wwww

Reply 44 of 122, by sparky4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:
Load it before the DSDMA TSR at least. […]
Show full quote
sparky4 wrote:

ok and how do i use the ymfirq utility with out locking up my computer?

11:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Yamaha Corporation YMF-724F [DS-1 Audio Controller] (rev 03)
i think it is an xwave 3000 or so i cannot remember completely..

Load it before the DSDMA TSR at least.

YAMAHA YMF724/744/754 patched dos driver for SiS63x/73x/745 (or later?) chipset users.

This driver does not need himem.sys and emm386.exe.

usage:

1. Keep IRQ 5 free.
2. Keep I/O 8000h free.
3. Run "setupds /s" in pure dos.
4. Run "ymfirq 5 edge".
5. "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4"

-------
Changes

September 7, 2002
- Added "edge" option to ymfirq.exe.

ok doing this right now!

wwww

Reply 45 of 122, by sparky4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no idea how to keep i/o 8000 free

i added "ymfirq 5 edge" just before the "dsdma" in loadtsr.bat

and it locked up my computer again with the same message
YMF724F found.

wwww

Reply 47 of 122, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sparky4 wrote:

no idea how to keep i/o 8000 free

It only matters in DDMA mode I think.

sparky4 wrote:

i added "ymfirq 5 edge" just before the "dsdma" in loadtsr.bat

and it locked up my computer again with the same message
YMF724F found.

Do you know what the actual PCI IRQ of the card is? You can try using that for your games instead. Have you tried to lower the physical RAM of your system and used EMM386 instead, try with 512MB if you got any small sticks.

YouTube channel

Reply 48 of 122, by sparky4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you know what the actual PCI IRQ of the card is?

Subsystem: Yamaha Corporation DS-XG PCI Audio CODEC
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+ Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 41 (1250ns min, 6250ns max)
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 20
Region 0: Memory at c2000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: snd_ymfpci
Kernel modules: snd_ymfpci

looks to be 20

You can try using that for your games instead. Have you tried to lower the physical RAM of your system and used EMM386 instead, try with 512MB if you got any small sticks.

I can look...
also ddma mode is needed for any soundblaster stuff to work at all!

wwww

Reply 49 of 122, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sparky4 wrote:
looks to be 20 […]
Show full quote
Subsystem: Yamaha Corporation DS-XG PCI Audio CODEC
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+ Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 41 (1250ns min, 6250ns max)
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 20
Region 0: Memory at c2000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: snd_ymfpci
Kernel modules: snd_ymfpci

looks to be 20

Under DOS it should be assigned an IRQ of 15 or lower.

sparky4 wrote:

I can look...
also ddma mode is needed for any soundblaster stuff to work at all!

No, YMF7xx can do PC/PCI or DDMA without TSR on compatible chipsets and motherboards or use the DSDMA TSR on boards that's not compatible with PC/PCI or DDMA modes. There's no DDMA support on Intels ICH based chipsets and later.

YouTube channel

Reply 52 of 122, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kamerat wrote:
dr.zeissler wrote:

I have a "ready to go zip" simply put the card in a pci-slot and extract the drivers to your dosdrive, it should work ootb.
Can I put a Pentium4Mobile in that machine? the board is FSC-D1644. Does not seem to be compatible with a mobile P4 ?

Can you provide a link to that ZIP archive?
I usually don't care for official support as long as it works, I'm using a Pentium 4-M 1.6GHz in a Gigabyte OEM board from a Packard Bell/NEC computer. One concern is that Pentium 4-M lacks heat spreader exposing the fragile core.

Sorry for that late answer. Here it is. ESS-Solo1 DOS ready to go.

The ESS works up to I865GV very well. From I915 upwards the digisound does crash/freeze the machine. Adlib works just fine. A Covox still works on I915, but the ESS in Digisound anymore. My fastest machine therefore is a P4/2,26 with I865GV (Scenic C610 ThinClient).

Attachments

• Filename
    Essolo1.zip
    File size
    39.13 KiB
    Downloads
    128 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 53 of 122, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

argh! I can't get my ESS-Solo1-PCI working under Win98se with the I865GV chipset...I have to investigate, what the problem is.
Dos62 and Win2k is fine on that machine...I did not expect any problem with win98se...but I was wrong 🙁

Reply 54 of 122, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's bad, really bad 🙁 The ESS-Solo1 PCI refuses to work on my I865G, while Win2k and Dos is OK.

I have installed the latest chipset-drivers for win98se and thy do work with i865gv pretty well.
The intel extreme-graphics2 drivers do work also, but installing the solo1pci vxd-drivers the PCI-Solo1 gets (!) and does not install the DOS-Emulation on restart. The Esssolo.ini is not installed on root, essolo.sys and essolo.com show an error because of that. If I use my working installation for the essolo.ini the bootup seems to be OK, but DOS-Emulation does not install, even if the bootup shows no error.

Deinstalling and using the newer vxd-drivers does not solve this problem. installing the wdm-driver leeds to a lockup (bluescreen) at startup. what is wrong here? 🙁 🙁

this is a very bad day...this machine was best so far. the igp is very good and has very solid and quality video-output. dgvoodoo works to with it. I am very sad that ess-solo refuses to work on that machine.

I will do further testing, because I have no clue why the ESS-Solo works in Dos/Win2k and not in 98se. It must be something special due to the machine or the chipset.

argh! 🙁

Reply 56 of 122, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

YMH744...and it is much worse...no DMA under plain dos...no way better...I think there is no way of getting the ESS-Solo1 working under win98se on i865gv...