VOGONS

Reply 40 of 136, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My setup is similar, except I use an Akai DPS12 multitrack recorder as an ADC/ digital mixer . Everything that comes into the DPS12 gets mixed down into one toslink output . With 3 stereo analogue inputs and 1 digital toslink input, this thing is perfect for my use . The adjustable pre-amps are an extra bonus as they allow easier levels matching between sources. I will post more info about my setup later on .

Reply 41 of 136, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it is similar decision with "analog-only" sources. And it gives (I think) a great quality of ADC->digital mixing. But with true digital sources it is not similar. The main idea is to get true (not ADC) digital signal from maximum of sound sources. Your Akai DPS12 has only one digital input and can't mix origin digital signals.

Reply 43 of 136, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Roland M-1000. Expensive. Very expensive. But FOUR (!) spdif inputs.
Cheap SPDIF mixers don't exist. Live/Audigy - alternate. But only TWO spdif inputs. And only resampling all incoming signals to 48kHz. But cheap!

Reply 44 of 136, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are off the shelf solutions from TI and Analog that can handle mixing 3 and 4 I2S inputs, assuming the onboard DSPs can keep up. The chips themselves are reasonably priced, although the additional logic and engineering work to create a mixer would be significant. For example, see the TDA3308 and AD1940/41 audio DSPs.

Beyond that, I see two options:
Build a digital audio workstation with a bunch of cheap cards that can handle one or more SPDIF input each and route in software.
Jump in with the big boys and make a solution with a pro grade audio processor. For example:
http://www.xmos.com/products/silicon/xcore-200/

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 47 of 136, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

j^aws, that is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-M-1000-10-Chan … voAAOSwhQhY7lbf

Perfect! Excellent mixer! I would be very happy to get one as it. But I'm not ready to cast $450 😵 If you show interest try it 😀

Reply 48 of 136, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ Indeed, it sounds like just what the doctor ordered... but- how much?

I can't believe we are in the year 2017, and multi-input digital mixers are this rare/ expensive? How long has SPDIF been around - decades? Hmm...

Reply 49 of 136, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think people always underestimated digital mixers and had not interest, demand. Therefore digital mixers filled a market as professional not mass expensive items. Sad...

This one is sold. Some lucky buyer with a lot of money. Or crazy.

Reply 50 of 136, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did someone tried Yamaha 744 or Aureal V2 both have varians with digital output, but i dont now if they are working in Dos too?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 51 of 136, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why exactly 744? YMF7x4 cards can play through SPDIF in pure DOS (probably not always) when you start Windows 9X then restart in MS-DOS mode.
Aureal V2 has SPDIF mod by ZanQuance. It is a very famous method. Don't you know about it?

Reply 52 of 136, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARUS wrote:

Why exactly 744? YMF7x4 cards can play through SPDIF in pure DOS (probably not always) when you start Windows 9X then restart in MS-DOS mode.

So far i only saw 744 with SPDIF and i dont know if 754 is working well in DOS, Win-DOS boot trick is better than mothing, but its annoying.. but as other just tricks, it should be possible to find out which PCI registry values are changed and make some enhancer for pure DOS too, Rayers MTRR videocards speed up works exactly same way.

PARUS wrote:

Aureal V2 has SPDIF mod by ZanQuance. It is a very famous method. Don't you know about it?

I dont know it, i only now that he trying to write new Aureal 2 drivers, but he himself claiming that original drivers are so far more compatible.. If this mod is for some music listen thing, i would still choose better compatibility.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 53 of 136, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have two different 754's, both with SPDIF interface. Yes, it would be great to know how to edit Yamaha's DSP registers to get digital out. I said it should work after Windows session and reboot (not via reset!), so it means that win-driver writes in DSP necessary values. Now need to disassemble driver and find these commands, make DOS .com file for activate SPDIF after initialization in DOS. I can't do it 😀 If you very wish then look for a man, programmer who can do this work.

Reply 54 of 136, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FYI there is a Linux driver for the YMF754 which means you can look at the source code. It seems to enable the SPDIF output with a single register write. The hard part (I guess - I've never done it) would be to figure out how to find the PCI card and talk to it in native DOS, but once you've done that it looks like switching SPDIF on is simple enough.

Reply 55 of 136, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARUS wrote:

I have two different 754's, both with SPDIF interface.

Ok, how about Dos compatibility its the same as Yamaha 724 and 744?

PARUS wrote:

If you very wish then look for a man, programmer who can do this work.

I think that i know the guy (contacted), there are several people which i thing could do it.

Reply 56 of 136, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malvineous wrote:

Hi, I can do it. My DOS tool SMB already can write IO or PCI config space registers so it could be done via script with hardcoded address. But I would rather write a dedicated utility. We just need to find the value of YDSXGR_SPDIFOUTCTRL that is defined in some other header file. And of course I need some free time...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 57 of 136, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Scan PCI bus for supported card
Modify register via SMB using address found in scan?

I would think this would work well gluing existing tools together with a small script or program.
All the requisite register labels are defined here:
https://gitlab.ic.unicamp.br/lkcamp/linux-sta … ymfpci/ymfpci.h

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 58 of 136, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, it should be enough info, I'll try to code something...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 59 of 136, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In Windows 98, I was able to find where the 0x0018 value to enable SPDIF, referenced in the Linux source code, gets changed when toggling SPDIF on with the Yamaha control panel applet.

I used a shareware program PCItree to determine this.

The modified value is in the "BAR 0 memory range", which is the memory range displayed in device manager for the audio card.

With SPDIF off, 0x0018 was 00000000. With SPDIF on, 0x0018 was set to 00000001.

How do I set FBEB:8018 (your mem address may differ) to 00000001 in MS-DOS, preferably with a batch file?

Attachments

• difference.png
    Filename
    difference.png
    File size
    7.18 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    This is the only line that changed when enabling SPDIF with the Yamaha control panel applet in Win98.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • PCItree YMF744.png
    Filename
    PCItree YMF744.png
    File size
    9.77 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The "BAR 0 mem" memory range corresponds with the range in device manager.
    File license
  • device manager.png
    Filename
    device manager.png
    File size
    4.53 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Memory range for the YMF744 on my PC.
    File license