VOGONS

Reply 100 of 136, by PalMusicFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote:
PalMusicFan wrote:

It seems DOOM and WARCRAFT work well with TSR loaded, but DISNEY’s LionKing and TOMB RAIDER don’t work even if there is setupds loaded only. Is there any solution?

Its working fine with analog?

I don’t think so. It seems the problem has no relationship with YMF7xx.
After DOS4GW information being printed, I get a black screen.

Reply 101 of 136, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In that case, there are bettter thread for that, this is about digital sound output.

Both games are working for me on Yamaha 7x4 for me, for details look at this list:
https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid= … 04bf92a9209e034

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 102 of 136, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote:

As CMI-8338 is very hard to obtain nowadays, I think then it could be reasonable to do some experiments with PCI CMI-8738. (This would possibly also easen the ISA saturation problem). I guess I'll order one on ebay and report back when I did my experiments.

A Russian seller on the Bay got four CMI8330 based AV310 cards for sale.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 103 of 136, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:
retardware wrote:

As CMI-8338 is very hard to obtain nowadays, I think then it could be reasonable to do some experiments with PCI CMI-8738. (This would possibly also easen the ISA saturation problem). I guess I'll order one on ebay and report back when I did my experiments.

A Russian seller on the Bay got four CMI8330 based AV310 cards for sale.

Big thanks for the hint! 😀 😀
When I read that, I looked at ebay quickly. Only two cards were left. I instantly grabbed one. Now there's only one left.
Will report back testing results when card arrived.

Reply 104 of 136, by PalMusicFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote:

In that case, there are bettter thread for that, this is about digital sound output.

Both games are working for me on Yamaha 7x4 for me, for details look at this list:
https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid= … 04bf92a9209e034

Sorry, got it.
I could get pretty good digital sound from the SPDIF, with a similar feeling like what I got from the emulators like Nuked OPL, but the analog output sounds brighter (weaker bass). I think the SPDIF output is closer to the original OPL3 sound. Am I correct? Is this kind of special analog sound caused by the ST DAC or the onboard amplifier ST2025B? I set the jumper to LINE OUT.

Reply 105 of 136, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

since today we received the v1.0 PCBs I thought it was about time to reveal what marmes sacrificed his evenings for 🤣 🤣 🤣

NQco2e7l.jpg

- it has SPDIF output that works transparently like the analog output
- it has a real OPL3 and is SBPRO/WSS compatible
- there is an optional mpu midi interface based on PCMIDI (if installed the soundcard uart mpu gets disabled completely)
- it's a 4-layer design - final version will be a little different but core features are the same
- just in case you were wondering about the card's name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orpheus

more details after testing , wish us luck! 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 106 of 136, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fancy ! So many sound cards lately haha
Is it based on a Crystal chip ? Pinouts don't look like something I can immediately recognize.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 107 of 136, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ hey give us some time for all the parts to arrive and do a little test that ensures the thing works as expected 🤣
I will make a dedicated thread then with all questions answered 😀
Tiido don't expect fancy stuff like you do on your cards with custom drivers etc 😀 - this was designed to be just a good sbp/wss card for some retro gaming with optional smartie-pants midi interface and working with the stock initialization program for the chipset.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 111 of 136, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
- it has SPDIF output that works transparently like the analog output - it has a real OPL3 and is SBPRO/WSS compatible - there i […]
Show full quote

- it has SPDIF output that works transparently like the analog output
- it has a real OPL3 and is SBPRO/WSS compatible
- there is an optional mpu midi interface based on PCMIDI (if installed the soundcard uart mpu gets disabled completely)
- it's a 4-layer design - final version will be a little different but core features are the same
- just in case you were wondering about the card's name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orpheus

more details after testing , wish us luck! 😊

This looks cool. Some questions:

- Is it MPU-401 Intelligent Mode compatible?
- Can you output both OPL3 and sound effects through SPDIF?
- Any limits to sample rates for SPDIF?

Good luck with the project!

Reply 112 of 136, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
j^aws wrote:

This looks cool. Some questions:

- Is it MPU-401 Intelligent Mode compatible?

if the mpu part is populated then it's the same as the PCMIDI cards marmes and me are selling so it's intelligent

j^aws wrote:

- Can you output both OPL3 and sound effects through SPDIF?
- Any limits to sample rates for SPDIF?

yes that was the point. The main chip provides among other things digital and analog mixers, DAC, ADC ... so all sources of audio will be outputted through spdif at 48khz 16bit max which is what the chipset natively supports.

j^aws wrote:

thanks!

Reply 113 of 136, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another awesome project! Can't wait to see it finished.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 115 of 136, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
j^aws wrote:
j^aws wrote:

thanks!

Hey keropi! Your sound card project looks very interesting and I'd like to see this get on IndieGoGo or some other fundraising site if you want to generate some noise (no pun intended) around your project.

I think an awesome addition to your card would be the inclusion of high quality Japanese solid state capacitors and improved filtering, so that the noise floor isn't anything like old Sound Blasters of the day as well as a means to eliminate any ISA bus noise. I realize over SPDIF this is mostly unnecessary, but for those stuck with analog setups, it would be ideal to keep the quality crisp and clean on that front as well.

Would one be able to configure both SBPRO and WSS modes to work at the same time? i.e. I don't have to change modes in a control panel and reboot to toggle between SBPRO and WSS modes.

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 116 of 136, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey mattrock1988
card is a 4-layer design with nichicon muse caps so don't worry about the analog side 😀
there is no need to reboot or chose anything for sbpro/wss modes - both are available at the same time - ofcourse only 1 can be used at the time
marmes and me are on the final test stages - software took more time than expected...

Reply 117 of 136, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well here is a photo of how the prototype cards look populated - as expected some patching was needed.

MqB8I9xl.jpg

This is almost complete - only testing from other people is left to be done.
The card works with the stock CS4237 drivers and there is now a small software to activate spdif output under dos (under win9x it's a driver option, way easier 🤣 but the main target of that card is DOS and not windows)
The mpu part (if populated) is based on pcmidi so it just works. SPDIF output is fixed at 44.1khz , the discrete OPL3 used is the YMF289.
For now testing will be done with cards that have only the soundard part populated + patch wires, 4layer pcbs are not that cheap to just scrap 😵

Reply 118 of 136, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No prototype is complete without patch wires 😜

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 119 of 136, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, the sound card has the same MIDI as the Music Quest MPU401 card and a Wavetable header? Very interesting.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser