Yamaha YMF71x SB Pro Mixer Bug Issue Fix

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Re: Yamaha YMF71x SB Pro Mixer Bug Issue Fix

Postby Tiido » 2018-11-09 @ 09:52

You should add a 10µF e-cap there in place of the ceramics, with positive side towards the sound chip, that will eliminate all the highpassing issues. I suggest it to be done to all the inputs to increase sound quality, you will get rid of the highpassing and also distortion caused by the MLCC dielectrics (these are not C0G/NP0 types).
Tiido
Oldbie

Postby Terracresta » 2019-2-11 @ 23:03

The CD audio volume is really odd. It's fine as long as the WSS Mixer in setupsa is active but once switching to the SB Mixer, the volume is dropping. Adlib volume is adjusted with the WSS sliders and playing CD audio (CD drive play button) while launching a game with Adlib as soundcard gives full CD volume. So the card is able to output CD audio in higher volume, just doesn't want to do so in SB mode.
Terracresta

Postby Tiido » 2019-2-12 @ 10:37

YMF71x switcher between WSS and SB mixer according to what side was last accessed. WSS mixer has much finer settings than the SB mixer and SETUPSA doesn't actually expose you the real decibel figures. My SETYMF does, you can find it here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/TKAYBSC
Running an SB game or sound test beforehand will switch to SB mixer values and the Adlib only game will then use those values unless it somehow triggers WSS mode for the sound card which is unlikely.
That reminds me, I don't actually explicity make sure the card is in SB or WSS mixer state in SETYMF when the program exits. I'll have to look into it.
Tiido
Oldbie

Previous

Return to Sound