VOGONS

My Wavetable Sample Thread

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 182, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting stuff. I have a similar but slightly older daughterboard. It is known as "MPB-000028" and has QS700 chip. But I haven't used it much. It was the very last midi card added to the collection, and no spare time left for it since.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 21 of 182, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

Tested out a daughterboard tonight, the AdMOS Adwave32S. (Photo and links in a previous post above.) This is a budget wavetable DB that uses the same AdMOS QDSP QS1000 synth onboard the WaveMaster 64FGP. This DB is often found attached with a Diamond Monster Sound M80 PCI card, and there is a sticker on the back of it identifying it as "MON SND WVTBL CRD 0.5MB." I attached it to my SB16 CT2230 and recorded through the line out.

I have the 2MB version of this one - it came with a Diamond Monster MX300 from memory. I quite like it I must admit!

DSCN2147_zpsafraffim.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 25 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I discovered something odd about GM playback on some of these cards. If you play a midi track--say the Descent sound setup track--and then play it again, certain instruments may drop out. The "siren" sound at 0:20 in the Descent sound setup track is a prime example. This problem persists even after a warm reboot. Only after a cold boot will the track play as it should the first time through. I've replicated this problem on three different cards. It may be a problem only with the Descent setup program.

Therefore, I'm slowly rebuilding my Soundcloud database. I am now doing a cold boot before every recording.

Has anyone else run into this problem with GM music on their wavetable cards?

Last edited by boxpressed on 2016-11-28, 05:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The latest addition to the thread is the Turtle Beach Daytona. I am including a PCI card because its S3 Sonic Vibes chipset is fairly uncommon among PCI sound cards.

I've also decided to rearrange the photos and links so that they appear at the beginning of the thread, so the Daytona appears in the second post.

Reply 27 of 182, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your uploads boxpressed. 😀 Here's a couple of my PCI sound cards in Doom E1M1, the 4DWave works and sound better with older drivers than I used here: Soundcard wavetables demo request

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 28 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:

Thanks for your uploads boxpressed. 😀 Here's a couple of my PCI sound cards in Doom E1M1, the 4DWave works and sound better with older drivers than I used here: Soundcard wavetables demo request

Thank you! And thanks for the sample of the 4DWave in action. I had a chance to get one cheap a year ago but wasn't into making these wavetable recordings back then. I'm going to keep my eye out for one now.

Reply 29 of 182, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:
Kamerat wrote:

Thank you! And thanks for the sample of the 4DWave in action. I had a chance to get one cheap a year ago but wasn't into making these wavetable recordings back then. I'm going to keep my eye out for one now.

I also uploaded a recording of the FM emulation of the SiS 7018 (it's based on the 4DWave) on Youtube some time ago: https://youtu.be/bsPFH_uUci8

I don't know if my 4DWave-NX is defective in some way, but it's wavetable part behaves badly. The SiS 7018 seems to work correct, but it's TSR doesn't allow larger sound banks than 1MB in DOS. Maybe the 4DWave-DX is a better choice?

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 30 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As mentioned above, I'm rebuilding my Soundcloud recordings with samples played after a "fresh" cold boot. I've got three or four more cards to update. Those that have been updated have a Soundcloud filename with this format [sound card]-[game] rather than [game]-[sound card] (old).

Although I didn't add a new card today, I decided to retest the only daughterboard I've tried, the Adwave 32S, using a Turtle Beach Vortex2 as host instead of a SB16 CT2230. The results are great, and I have updated the Adwave 32s's links to reflect the change. This budget DB becomes a more attractive option when used with a Vortex2.

Kamerat wrote:

I also uploaded a recording of the FM emulation of the SiS 7018 (it's based on the 4DWave) on Youtube some time ago: https://youtu.be/bsPFH_uUci8

Thanks! I love these oddball FM synths even if they're painful to listen to.

Reply 34 of 182, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AOPEN / AW32 Crystal CS9233, 1MB ROM, 32 voices sounds fantastic, the closest one of the bunch that resembles the SC-55 in tone and balance, BUT it has a major "thinking noise" problem.
The ENSONIQ / SOUNDSCAPE VIVO is second best.

In my opinion the electric guitar on most synths sounded like a soft cello, not so good sounding.

Great thread boxpressed.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 35 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
James-F wrote:
The AOPEN / AW32 Crystal CS9233, 1MB ROM, 32 voices sounds fantastic, the closest one of the bunch that resembles the SC-55 in t […]
Show full quote

The AOPEN / AW32 Crystal CS9233, 1MB ROM, 32 voices sounds fantastic, the closest one of the bunch that resembles the SC-55 in tone and balance, BUT it has a major "thinking noise" problem.
The ENSONIQ / SOUNDSCAPE VIVO is second best.

In my opinion the electric guitar on most synths sounded like a soft cello, not so good sounding.

Great thread boxpressed.

Thanks! Yes, the "thinking noise" is most evident during the gap in the Tyrian music. I think that Crystal had some kind of partnership with Dream, which may have been stealing Roland samples (and then later paying for them). So the Crystal synths are quality, and you can find a CS9233 every now and then for cheap. VIVOs are dirt cheap, less than $10. If you can put up with the need for EMM386, it's a good option.

Reply 36 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added the Labway A301-G50, better known as a YMF7x4-based PCI sound card. Included hardware-assisted wavetable samples and OPL3 (YMF289) FM synth samples.

Reply 38 of 182, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey boxpressed, I loved the CS9233 so much, I just grabbed one from ebay for 50$.
Crystal/Dream sure did a great job ripping the SC-55 sounds, especially the Drums.
Plus I have the Dreamblaster X2 on the way, it should suffice my wavetable midi needs... for now. 😈

CS9233.jpg
Filename
CS9233.jpg
File size
457.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 39 of 182, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool -- glad I could help make your decision. That CS9233 synth also appears on a Terratec DB with what appears to be a different ROM patchset. This seller is very proud of it, however: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Terratec-Promedia-SY- … rQAAOSwnDxUhY1d