Sound for DOS games in Windows 98

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Sound for DOS games in Windows 98

Postby 21603 » 2016-11-07 @ 16:59

I've installed the 98 drivers for my Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 and they seem to be working perfectly in Windows, but running DOS games gives me silence. It's been a very long time since I've done this sort of stuff and I can't remember for the life of me how to go about setting it up so I can run both Windows and DOS games in Windows 98. I do remember doing it years ago I just don't remember how :confused:
21603
Newbie
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 2009-7-22 @ 10:49

Re: Sound for DOS games in Windows 98

Postby Jorpho » 2016-11-07 @ 17:15

Are you shutting down Windows and restarting in MS-DOS mode when you run your DOS games, or are you trying to run DOS games from Windows Explorer (or a DOS prompt)?

The former case can be highly problematic; the latter case should Just Work. Are there specific games you are trying to run?
User avatar
Jorpho
l33t++
 
Posts: 7043
Joined: 2003-2-14 @ 19:50
Location: Canada

Re: Sound for DOS games in Windows 98

Postby collector » 2016-11-07 @ 17:21

In the future ask questions about old hardware and OSs in Marvin. This forum is for Windows games on modern systems.
User avatar
collector
l33t
 
Posts: 4155
Joined: 2003-1-15 @ 10:39

Re: Sound for DOS games in Windows 98

Postby 21603 » 2016-11-07 @ 17:37

collector wrote:In the future ask questions about old hardware and OSs in Marvin. This forum is for Windows games on modern systems.


Noted. Someone will be kind enough to move it then.

Jorpho wrote:Are you shutting down Windows and restarting in MS-DOS mode when you run your DOS games, or are you trying to run DOS games from Windows Explorer (or a DOS prompt)?

The former case can be highly problematic; the latter case should Just Work. Are there specific games you are trying to run?


Just running them through the Windows explorer. The DOS mode hasn't been set up yet because I forget how to do it correctly and I'm not sure what drivers to use, plus I didn't really want to use DOS mode if I could avoid it.
21603
Newbie
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 2009-7-22 @ 10:49

Re: Sound for DOS games in Windows 98

Postby Jorpho » 2016-11-07 @ 17:56

21603 wrote:plus I didn't really want to use DOS mode if I could avoid it.
There are times when it is inevitable, but I suppose there's no sense in worrying about it if Windows serves all your needs.

You still didn't name anything specific, so let's start with SETBLAST.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39923&p=367467#p367467

The other question is, which drivers are you using? Liveware 3.0 from Vogonsdrivers is often recommended.

EDIT: If you're referring to viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50786 , then it could conceivably be an IRQ problem.
User avatar
Jorpho
l33t++
 
Posts: 7043
Joined: 2003-2-14 @ 19:50
Location: Canada

Re: Sound for DOS games in Windows 98

Postby skitters » 2016-11-08 @ 02:40

21603 wrote:I've installed the 98 drivers for my Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 and they seem to be working perfectly in Windows, but running DOS games gives me silence. It's been a very long time since I've done this sort of stuff and I can't remember for the life of me how to go about setting it up so I can run both Windows and DOS games in Windows 98. I do remember doing it years ago I just don't remember how


There's a lot of information about getting the SB Live! to work in DOS at
https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-3229.html
User avatar
skitters
Member
 
Posts: 370
Joined: 2004-11-17 @ 20:08
Location: US

Re: Sound for DOS games in Windows 98

Postby 21603 » 2016-11-08 @ 06:54

Jorpho wrote:
21603 wrote:The other question is, which drivers are you using? Liveware 3.0 from Vogonsdrivers is often recommended.


You mean this CD Sound Blaster Live! Install (VXD 4.06.704 Liveware 3.0) CD if so then no I used the web update drivers from Creative.
21603
Newbie
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 2009-7-22 @ 10:49

Re: Sound for DOS games in Windows 98

Postby chinny22 » 2016-11-08 @ 14:24

If you go into device manager you should see sound blaster legacy drivers, or something very similar to this.
This is what your dos games see as the soundcard and you should match the game up to the settings here.

From memory the web update drivers are a cut down version though and don't include the legacy drivers, I could be wrong though.
User avatar
chinny22
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1795
Joined: 2011-8-26 @ 12:02
Location: Australian but living in the UK for now

Re: Sound for DOS games in Windows 98

Postby 21603 » 2016-11-09 @ 03:42

chinny22 wrote:If you go into device manager you should see sound blaster legacy drivers, or something very similar to this.
This is what your dos games see as the soundcard and you should match the game up to the settings here.

From memory the web update drivers are a cut down version though and don't include the legacy drivers, I could be wrong though.


The web update is missing the DOS drivers which Windows discovered as SB16 emulation or something, but I'm not sure if it worked because the Liveware 3.0 installed won't install correctly. I get errors stating something can't uninstall and once past that I get an error saying my 4GB hard drive doesn't have enough space. I think I'll wipe it, do a fresh install and see what happens.
21603
Newbie
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 2009-7-22 @ 10:49

Re: Sound for DOS games in Windows 98

Postby filipetolhuizen » 2016-11-14 @ 02:51

You'll have to do find an original Live! install CD, which includes the SB16 emulator. IIRC there might be one in our drivers library.
User avatar
filipetolhuizen
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: 2006-10-24 @ 02:25
Location: Curitiba, Brazil

Re: Sound for DOS games in Windows 98

Postby Jorpho » 2016-11-14 @ 06:09

21603 wrote:I get errors stating something can't uninstall and once past that I get an error saying my 4GB hard drive doesn't have enough space.
I have seen that error with Creative installers before. It is entirely unrelated to the amount of disk space you have.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34490
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=42106&p=400468

Perhaps you should say which specific model of SB Live! you are using.
User avatar
Jorpho
l33t++
 
Posts: 7043
Joined: 2003-2-14 @ 19:50
Location: Canada

Re: Sound for DOS games in Windows 98

Postby 21603 » 2016-11-14 @ 16:46

The card is a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 model:SB0100

The worst thing is I had the CD, but I must have tossed it. Not sure why I'd do that since I still have the card, but my younger self was really bloody stupid :angry:
21603
Newbie
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 2009-7-22 @ 10:49


Return to Sound

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nukeykt and 4 guests