VOGONS

Reply 140 of 232, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC there were some Vibras with DSP v4.16 (XV maybe?). However all of them included the CQM core thus lacking the original OPL3. And all of them didn't have the wavetable header, so not something worth having if we take all those AWE64's into consideration.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 141 of 232, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's only the CT4170, a very low end model. But of course one can still hook up a wavetable externally.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 142 of 232, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont want to go too much OT but what are the specs of YMF719? which SB mode should I select in DOS games to get best quality on this card? SB PRO 1? 2? 44kHz or just 22? Please help! I must buy something and heading towards YMF719 😁

Reply 143 of 232, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was referring specifically to the Vibra S (CT2504) based cards. I have a pair of CT2810s.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 144 of 232, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
James-F wrote:

Unfortunately all the Vibras have the hanging note bug, whether you plug a synth externally or using the wavetable header.

Bummer....
Then someone must have spilled misinformation a couple of years back here on Vogons.
I remember something about that it was explained that all Vibra's was bug free.
Well, well, well..... I take my words back again. 🤣

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 145 of 232, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My order arrived. For people still waiting I was order 535, so for those with a similar order number or a lower one expect arrival soon.

I live in the UK and I was notified it was sent on the 10th, that's Belgium to England in 4 days! Very good for 5 Euros. I can confirm a couple of things, the USB connection for the X2 Dreamblaster works out of the box in OSX El Capitan (10.11.4 running on a Hackintosh). Output is crystal clear from the line-out on the board. Sample of E1M1 midi played from the app 'Aria Maestosa' output to the X2 http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=26038374637104659930.

Will try out both the S1 and the X2 with a Schubert (ESS AudioDrive) sound card and a PnP SB16 as well when I get some time. Attached are a couple of pics of the X2.

Cheers W.

Attachments

I stream retro games every wednesday here & I dump the recordings here

Reply 146 of 232, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Whiskey wrote:

My order arrived. For people still waiting I was order 535, so for those with a similar order number or a lower one expect arrival soon.

Congratsl! I'm waiting for order 519 to Moscow and I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll get my card at least before New Year. Our postal service is notoriously slow — last moth it took me a week to get a NOS AMD 5x86 from Kirov (that's around 900km).

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 147 of 232, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys - I've had a little scout around but would this work on my AWE64 CT4500?

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 148 of 232, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
foey wrote:

Only if connected externally through an adapter to the external MIDI port. The AWE64 doesn't have a wavetable header.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 149 of 232, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stamasd wrote:
foey wrote:

Only if connected externally through an adapter to the external MIDI port. The AWE64 doesn't have a wavetable header.

Thanks, does this work just as well? What adapter do I need?

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 150 of 232, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Options:
http://www.serdashop.com/CHiLLandPhilAdapter
http://www.serdashop.com/MIDIBOARDCHILL

Reply 151 of 232, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Whiskey wrote:

I live in the UK and I was notified it was sent on the 10th, that's Belgium to England in 4 days!

Lucky you. Mine was sent a day earlier, but I don't expect it to get to arrive until at least next week.

Reply 152 of 232, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FuzzyLogic wrote:
Whiskey wrote:

I live in the UK and I was notified it was sent on the 10th, that's Belgium to England in 4 days!

Lucky you. Mine was sent a day earlier, but I don't expect it to get to arrive until at least next week.

Sorry to hear you haven't had yours yet! I suppose living the equivalent distance of one state away from Belgium helped in my case. The North Atlantic Ocean is a pretty big distance to cross.
I hope it arrives soon! W.

Reply 153 of 232, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info.

I do have this card, have no idea what it's like but the top left hand pins say "Wavetable" would this do?

ESS%20Autodrive_zpsods73xaz.jpg

Reply 154 of 232, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yup that should work nicely. Looks like a vanilla ES1868 card, which is decent in itself.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 155 of 232, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The ES1868 is a very compatible chip with a good OPL3 clone and un-bugged MPU-401 UART, so it should be good (assuming the board design isn't totally worthless).

Looking a little further, the preamp is good while the power amp is not. That should be fixable via jumpers, likely by switching both jumpers on the 2x3 header block to the other position. Plug this into an external amplifier.

Reply 156 of 232, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just tested it in Windows ME and it is incredibly noisy and Windows sounds quite low. All I can hear is a constant hiss 🙁

Reply 158 of 232, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey All.
I'm using an almost Identical card, but am having trouble getting the wavetable expansion to work in DOS. I found one bit of info about some games just not supporting it with out a driver called "Wavetable Driver for DOS based Games (ES1688 only)" here on Vogons ESS AudioDrive (ES1868) - a surprisingly good ISA sound card. But this is for the ES1688 not the ES1868(F).

Interestingly the 1997 VxD driver for windows works perfectly and the wavetable works in the MS-DOS Prompt. The Wavetable in Windows Media Devices appears as MPU-401. In dos I'm using a driver Phil posted a while back for a generic ES1868 card, the FM works fantastic and the OLP3 works for midi but nothing I do will let the wavetable work in General Midi (or Waveblaster/Sound Canvas/other modes). Any advice would be great, W.

EDIT: After further research I'm getting the impression that Wavetable boards we're designed to be used in a windows environment. My question now is do ISA Sound Blaster 16's have native hardware dos support for wavetable boards using the header?

EDIT2: Volume mixer! ESSVOL AuxB was set to zero, thanks to badmojo for solution.

Last edited by Whiskey on 2016-12-15, 12:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 159 of 232, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What do you mean it doesn't work? No sound? Or the game complains that no MPU-401 was found? If it's not the latter then fiddle with the mixer - turn everything up. Wavetable may not be labeled sensibly.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.