VOGONS

Post your rendition of Passport.MID

Topic actions

First post, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For those who don't know, Passport.MID is a MIDI included with some, if not all of the Win9x versions of windows, and possibly more (Not really sure tbh). It's a classic MIDI file, and a benchmark for a lot of sound cards.

So, post a recording of your MIDI rendition here! If you don't know how to record off MIDI, some devices like the SB Live have a way to directly record as an audio device, while some devices you need to run a loop from the speaker out to the line in (NOT MICROPHONE, THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR SOUNDCARD(S)) and use recording software. If this still doesn't work, grab another computer with a Line In jack, and record using that (DO NOT USE MICROPHONE CONNECTOR)

So, time for my examples. I made 4 recordings, and they are as follows.

First off is traditional MIDI emulation using an OPL (In this case OPL3) chip. This is to my knowledge a "Fake" OPL3 off an AWE32 CT3670, which is basically an AWE64, so it's slightly worse than a regular OPL3 rendition.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmljmgob91gped3/Pas … ortOPL.wav?dl=0

Second off is the AWE32 recording. This is using the default AWE32 synth off the same CT3670 AWE32 card.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzwb0hhbyv8i6gf/Pas … tAWE32.wav?dl=0

Third is a recording using CoolSoft VirtualMidiSynth (Software SF synth) using the, quite frankly, disappointing SGM soundfont.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/261mcg99rmvy2o3/Pas … ortSF1.wav?dl=0

Finally, and fourthly, is the recording using the Giant Soundfont, and my favourite out of all.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjc12ug53j6uc4q/Pas … ortSF2.wav?dl=0

Tell me what you guys think about my renditions. I think for what it is, the AWE32 rendition is pretty damn impressive, not as great as a Roland Sound Canvas, or hell just slightly worse than an MT-32, but considering those cost about 300 dollars more than this did, it's not bad at all. The OPL3 synth is pretty funny, it's trying so hard to sound good, but just can't quite cut the mustard.

EDIT: Okay, I have no friggin clue how anybody is taking what I said to mean I used MT-32 emulation. I didn't. I clearly said that the AWE32 General MIDI rendition sounds just a tad below the standards of how the MT-32 sounds. I am making this perfectly clear, NONE OF THESE ARE USING MT-32 ANYTHING.

Last edited by Ampera on 2016-12-20, 01:31. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 69, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What translation from General Midi Standard to MT-32 Standard did you use for the MT-32?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 69, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

What translation from General Midi Standard to MT-32 Standard did you use for the MT-32?

None, it's all advanced wave effects, but you can use AWEUTIL on DOS and the AWE control panel in Windows. Make sure to grab the MT sound bank from the AWE64 Gold section of Phil'sComputerLab's website, and check his awesome vids out.

Reply 3 of 69, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But that isn't a MT-32 😜

The "standard" method of playing General MIDI on a real MT-32 is to use Roland's Sysex MIDI file for the purpose.

Reply 4 of 69, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ampera wrote:
elianda wrote:

None, it's all advanced wave effects, but you can use AWEUTIL on DOS and the AWE control panel in Windows. Make sure to grab the MT sound bank from the AWE64 Gold section of Phil'sComputerLab's website, and check his awesome vids out.

I can't follow you, maybe I missed something:

1. You compared playing a General Midi Standard file rendered on the AWE32 in GM mode, on the Roland Sound Canvas and on the Roland MT-32. You did not use any translation for the Roland MT-32 which does not follow the GM standard. What is the point in comparing a General Midi Music file transferred to a device following MT-32 standard to a GM Music file rendered on an actual GM compatible device?

2. You now mention to use the MT-32 emulation of the AWE32 to accomplish a kind of MT-32 synth rendering. So did you use an actual Roland MT-32 or are you referring to the MT-32 emulation of a AWE32 ? Still point 1. applies for this case as well.

3. Phil is god 😉

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 69, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:
I can't follow you, maybe I missed something: […]
Show full quote
Ampera wrote:
elianda wrote:

I can't follow you, maybe I missed something:

1. You compared playing a General Midi Standard file rendered on the AWE32 in GM mode, on the Roland Sound Canvas and on the Roland MT-32. You did not use any translation for the Roland MT-32 which does not follow the GM standard. What is the point in comparing a General Midi Music file transferred to a device following MT-32 standard to a GM Music file rendered on an actual GM compatible device?

2. You now mention to use the MT-32 emulation of the AWE32 to accomplish a kind of MT-32 synth rendering. So did you use an actual Roland MT-32 or are you referring to the MT-32 emulation of a AWE32 ? Still point 1. applies for this case as well.

3. Phil is god 😉

This has gotten weird.

Look, I was comparing the MIDI quality to that of the Sound Canvas and MT-32, just the quality of the sound. No MT-32 anything was used in this instance, I only compared the two in audio quality.

Everything is technically using the General MIDI standard (With the AWE32 using it's own, built-in soundbank) so no MT-32 standard was used.

The AWE32 has MT-32 emulation, but it's sorta in the sense that you can buy the AWE32 and have the bonus of some sort of MT-32 compatibility, but it's not for the case of, I want an MT-32, so I will get the AWE32 for it's emulation. It's not like that, the emulation on the AWE32 is not as good as a true MT-32, but it's better than OPL synth on games like Civilization, and allows you to use MT-32 at all on a DOS system.

I like the AWE32 for it's swiss army knife quality, while some games may not be compatible, it sorta does everything, and on windows the MT-32 emulation is a lot more stable.

But, tl;dr I am only comparing the AWE32 and MT-32, I am not using any translation of any sort.

Reply 6 of 69, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's mine. Anyone want to guess what sound card?

Attachments

• Filename
    passport.mp3
    File size
    4.76 MiB
    Downloads
    181 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 8 of 69, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ampera wrote:

Thinking something Yamaha. Sounds a tad below Roland standards, and it's not a Creative card.

It's actually a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 69, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:
For those who don't know, Passport.MID is a MIDI included with some, if not all of the Win9x versions of windows, and possibly m […]
Show full quote

For those who don't know, Passport.MID is a MIDI included with some, if not all of the Win9x versions of windows, and possibly more (Not really sure tbh). It's a classic MIDI file, and a benchmark for a lot of sound cards.

So, post a recording of your MIDI rendition here! If you don't know how to record off MIDI, some devices like the SB Live have a way to directly record as an audio device, while some devices you need to run a loop from the speaker out to the line in (NOT MICROPHONE, THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR SOUNDCARD(S)) and use recording software. If this still doesn't work, grab another computer with a Line In jack, and record using that (DO NOT USE MICROPHONE CONNECTOR)

First off is traditional MIDI emulation using an OPL (In this case OPL3) chip. This is to my knowledge a "Fake" OPL3 off an AWE32 CT3670, which is basically an AWE64, so it's slightly worse than a regular OPL3 rendition.

Second off is the AWE32 recording. This is using the default AWE32 synth off the same CT3670 AWE32 card.

Third is a recording using CoolSoft VirtualMidiSynth (Software SF synth) using the, quite frankly, disappointing SGM soundfont.

Finally, and fourthly, is the recording using the Giant Soundfont, and my favourite out of all.

Tell me what you guys think about my renditions. I think for what it is, the AWE32 rendition is pretty damn impressive, not as great as a Roland Sound Canvas, or hell just slightly worse than an MT-32, but considering those cost about 300 dollars more than this did, it's not bad at all. The OPL3 synth is pretty funny, it's trying so hard to sound good, but just can't quite cut the mustard.

1. I wouldn't call Passport.mid a benchmark for something. It's a classic tune, for sure, but nothing which utilizes something special from the synth.
2. The CT3670 uses Creative CQM - FM synthesisis, this is not a fake or something but Creatives own FM implementation for their past-OPL3 products. The CT3670 can also apply Reverb & Chorus to the CQM which suits the Passport.mid quite well. Wouldn't call the quality "worse" per se. It's a very subjective matter, though.
3. It makes no sense to playback a General Midi file (Passport.mid) using any kind of MT-32 emulation / device. What's the point?
Without a conversion (translation) of the file to match the MT-32 instruments it doesn't make any sense to playback / compare / listen to it. Of course it is possible to set the original MT-32 hardware into General Midi mode (via bank switch), but that's a completely different story.

I quite like our idea to make a comparison. It would be interesting to listen to the Passport.mid on different wavetable synths, e.g. Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil, Turtle Beach, Gravis and some more.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 10 of 69, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:

I'd like to record the sound from Yamaha YMF-718S OPL3 and softsynth as well as from a Yamaha SW60XG but I'm new to all this. What recording software would you recommend under Windows 95? The built-in program doesn't seem to work with line-in.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 11 of 69, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FGB wrote:
1. I wouldn't call Passport.mid a benchmark for something. It's a classic tune, for sure, but nothing which utilizes something s […]
Show full quote
Ampera wrote:
For those who don't know, Passport.MID is a MIDI included with some, if not all of the Win9x versions of windows, and possibly m […]
Show full quote

1. I wouldn't call Passport.mid a benchmark for something. It's a classic tune, for sure, but nothing which utilizes something special from the synth.
2. The CT3670 uses Creative CQM - FM synthesisis, this is not a fake or something but Creatives own FM implementation for their past-OPL3 products. The CT3670 can also apply Reverb & Chorus to the CQM which suits the Passport.mid quite well. Wouldn't call the quality "worse" per se. It's a very subjective matter, though.
3. It makes no sense to playback a General Midi file (Passport.mid) using any kind of MT-32 emulation / device. What's the point?
Without a conversion (translation) of the file to match the MT-32 instruments it doesn't make any sense to playback / compare / listen to it. Of course it is possible to set the original MT-32 hardware into General Midi mode (via bank switch), but that's a completely different story.

I quite like our idea to make a comparison. It would be interesting to listen to the Passport.mid on different wavetable synths, e.g. Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil, Turtle Beach, Gravis and some more.

1. Close enough.

2. Yea, subjective matter. It's not an original OPL3 which some people claim to be worse, I have heard people around here say it's not as good as true OPL3, but I don't have an OPL3 card with an original YM chip, so I couldn't tell. Doesn't matter to me.

3. Never said I used any MT-32 emulation of any sort. You can read through the entirety of the first thing I wrote, minus the edit, and I never once said I used MT-32 emulation. I said it runs slightly below the level of an MT-32 in terms of quality. I am aware they have different instrument sets, but they are both MIDI and use the same basic concept for producing music.

And yea, that was my idea of a benchmark, to see hour this classic tune compares on different systems.

Reply 12 of 69, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:
Ampera wrote:

I'd like to record the sound from Yamaha YMF-718S OPL3 and softsynth as well as from a Yamaha SW60XG but I'm new to all this. What recording software would you recommend under Windows 95? The built-in program doesn't seem to work with line-in.

You can try an old version of Audacity, but I personally had to use another computer with a Line-in connector, and there I used Audacity. It depends on the version of Windows, among other things.

Reply 13 of 69, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Played by a PCI ESS Solo-1 under Windows 98SE using the ESFM MIDI synth.

Attachments

• Filename
    Passport ESFM.mp3
    File size
    4.66 MiB
    Downloads
    173 downloads
    File comment
    Passport ESFM
    File license

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 14 of 69, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Using my IBM Aptiva, one is from the MWave card and the other is the Yamaha XG70 softsynth.

Attachments

• Filename
    PASSPORT_XG70.mp3
    File size
    2.75 MiB
    Downloads
    163 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    PASSPORT_MWAVE.mp3
    File size
    2.79 MiB
    Downloads
    160 downloads
    File license

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 15 of 69, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Related to this issue, here's passport in Virtual PC 2007's horrible OPL emulation 😉

Attachments

• Filename
    assport.mp3
    File size
    2.57 MiB
    Downloads
    225 downloads
    File comment
    Listener Discretion Advised
    File license

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 69, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice thread Ampera.
Here are two recordings. One from the emulated OPL3 chip on a ESS AudioDrive 1868F and one from the X2 DreamBlaster attached on the wavetable header.
Noticeable slowdowns on the emulated OPL3, nice and smooth on the X2!
Enjoy. W.

Attachments

• Filename
    X2 Dreambaster on a ES1868F.mp3
    File size
    4.69 MiB
    Downloads
    183 downloads
    File comment
    X2 DreamBlaster attached to a ESS AudioDrive 1868F
    File license
  • Filename
    OPL3 Emulation ES1868F.mp3
    File size
    4.72 MiB
    Downloads
    178 downloads
    File comment
    OPL3 Emulation on a ESS AudioDrive ES1868F
    File license

I stream retro games every wednesday here & I dump the recordings here

Reply 17 of 69, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not bad. OPL3 emulation is definitely on the slow side. My AWE32 uses the same OPL3 tech as the AWE64/64 Gold, which is not an OPL3, but some sort of integrated deal. I am still not quite sure what it is, but it works fine.

General MIDI is pretty good. It's a step above the AWE32, not as good as a modern soundfont, but that soundfont is larger than most average 486 and P5 era hard drives. Thanks for posting.

Reply 19 of 69, by nukeykt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My favorite ones

Attachments

• Filename
    passport_sc55mkII.mp3
    File size
    4.66 MiB
    Downloads
    185 downloads