VOGONS

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Creative CT4750 sound card which works perfectly only on Windows XP and older systems, the fact is that I love its MIDI synthesizer instruments and I'd like to make them into a soundfont (.sf2) to use on Windows 7 and 10.
I also have an AWE32 CT3670 sound card which supports soundfonts and with which I could use Vienna to build the soundfont (the PC where I have it mounted has also PCI slots, so I could plug in there both cards), the problem is that I have no idea how Vienna works and how I can make a soundfont out of my CT4750 sound card.

I saw that there are a lot of soundfonts out there, for the Roland SC-55, AWE32 and AWE64 Gold, GUS... so there is a way to do this, I'd love to make my own soundfont of my CT4750...

I also don't know if Windows 98 will be able to support both sound cards together (PCI and ISA) or they'd conflict once I get in Vienna.

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 1 of 2, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently I tried the more modern version, called "Viena" with only one "N", but it's still quite difficulty to comprehend.

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 2 of 2, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the old days, having only AWE64 Value (and no possibility to find memory upgrade for it) I used to make an .sf2 for every MIDI file that I liked - using ROM bank as a base but adding particular instruments (mostly) from 4 MB bank making sure it still fits within limited memory of AWE64 Value (was that 512 kB?). This way I could listen to 4 MB version (or close to that) of most of MIDI files in my collection, by switching sf2's.