VOGONS

First post, by lilkuz2005

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello guys, I'm looking to get a nice vintage looking white or off white set of computer speakers to match the look of my old vintage looking pc, iI'm also working on getting a nice crt monitor, but i need to source one locally because shipping is crazy expensive for those heavy buggers, anyways i have a nice set of Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers that are pretty old but the sub is missing, and the built in volume pot needs replaced, its scratchy when you mess with it, can anyone recommend a nice set of speakers that can still be found pretty easily ?

asus p3b-f, intel pIII 1000/133/256 thermaltake golden orb, 2x crucial 256mb pc133, nvidia geforce 3, aureal vortex 2, IDE to SD adapter samsung 128gb evo
asus p3v4x, intel pIII 650/100/256, 256mb pc133, 3dfx voodoo 3 3ooo, awe64 value!, 80gb hdd

Reply 1 of 5, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's a couple of options:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Lansing-ACS41-G … PkAAOSw6DtYUsuu
I have and use these. IMO they sound great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191777579034
I have these as well, sound great. Listing is sold, but linked it so you can see what they look like.

EDIT: I know the shipping is horrible on these. I'm posting them to give you models to look for locally, or maybe you get lucky and find one with cheap shipping.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've pretty much always used my system connected into an amplifier and speakers. You could certainly go vintage (brushed aluminum and light wood) or modern (tripath amp and bookshelf speakers with finish of your choice). Either way would look great with a vintage system and get you superior sound.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 5, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lilkuz2005 wrote:

hello guys, I'm looking to get a nice vintage looking white or off white set of computer speakers to match the look of my old vintage looking pc, iI'm also working on getting a nice crt monitor, but i need to source one locally because shipping is crazy expensive for those heavy buggers, anyways i have a nice set of Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers that are pretty old but the sub is missing, and the built in volume pot needs replaced, its scratchy when you mess with it, can anyone recommend a nice set of speakers that can still be found pretty easily ?

For the scratchiness on the volume pot, giving it a good clean with some deoxit or electronics cleaner / lube can do wonders for it and get rid of the scratchiness.....

As for speakers, I have a set of Altec Lansing speakers (off-white with a grey screen) that comes with the left and right table / shelf speakers and a really nice sized poweredd sub. They sound really really nice when playing music and games....this is them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Lansing-Compute … AOSwA3dYZGAAhem (This price seems awfully high, but I have never priced them before and have had them for years)

Also have a couple pairs of Harmon Kardon's that are just the L and R speakers and they also sound great. They look like these but are white:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARMAN-KARDON-MULTIME … QYAAOSwnHZYV~8G

Vintage Stereo Wise, that is a great idea.....I have an old 1977 Pioneer Receiver / Amp I am restoring and nice new speakers in the original 1977 Pioneer Wooden Boxes (about 3 ft high each) that I could hook into one of my retro systems...but what do you do to get the speaker wire that would be needed for the old speakers converted to RCA so you could use an RCA to Headphone style adapter and plug that into your computer?

Reply 4 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just wire that amp up to your line out. Use your tape in or another input if you've got one.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 5, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Smack2k wrote:

As for speakers, I have a set of Altec Lansing speakers (off-white with a grey screen) that comes with the left and right table / shelf speakers and a really nice sized poweredd sub. They sound really really nice when playing music and games....this is them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Lansing-Compute … AOSwA3dYZGAAhem (This price seems awfully high, but I have never priced them before and have had them for years)

The reason the price is high is that the subwoofer is included. Not all computers that came with Altec Lansing speakers included the subwoofer, making it harder to find than just the speakers.

I have the already mentioned Altec Lansing ACS-41 speakers, which are still working fine 20 years onwards. Avoid recent computer speakers, most are cheap crap.
Another option could be a set of professional audio active (powered) monitors; they make them in the same size as good quality vintage computer speakers and the prices are about the same too.