VOGONS

First post, by JackH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, yes I know ISA cards would be better(at least in DOS?), but these PCI cards are more common on the market and I run most of the games from Windows.

I know that SB Live!/Audigy series support soundfonts (Live! 32mb limit?, Audigy depends of system ram?). Will these work for gaming in W98/WME when soundfont is loaded? For example DOOM, DN3D or non DOS games like AoE1 with choriumreva.sf2? Which series/model variants are the best?

Other PCI soundcards with soundfont support in W98/WME?

Any programs like Coolsoft VirtualMidiSynth that would work in W98/WME that can replace MS GS synth in games? With that kind of ability, even some integrated audio could do the "job"?

Reply 1 of 1, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if the Live!/Audigy supports Soundfonts using it's own MPU-401 emulation when running DOS games in Windows. As we discussed here you can use VDMSOUND for MPU-401 emulation, worked fine for me with the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, but this card doesn't support soundfonts, just sample banks in the .DLS format.

For software Soundfont support you can try this, but for me it didn't work very well with DOS games using VDMSOUND, it might work better on Windows games.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel