VOGONS

First post, by EmperorsDynasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there!

I just picked up an SC-55 on Ebay for retro gaming and was wondering how it fits in to my current set-up. Right now I have a Steinberg UR22 that is connected to my PC through USB. It then has a TRS cable going out to each of my two monitors and two TS cables coming in from my digital piano -- which itself has two unused 1/4 line ins.

Can I use a RCA to TS cables like https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CPR-203-Stereo-In … B000068O16?th=1 to connect the SC55 to the line in on the UR22 or even on my digital piano which then runs through to the UR22?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reply 1 of 5, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
EmperorsDynasty wrote:

Can I use a RCA to TS cables to connect the SC55 to the line in on the UR22 or even on my digital piano which then runs through to the UR22?

Yeah, absolutely! The line out level of the SC-55 is totally appropriate to use with TS or TRS inputs... not so much with XLR but that's not what you're trying to do anyway. Personally I would wire it direct into the UR22 and bypass the keyboard, to avoid any noise that the keyboard might introduce, but either way will work (without knowing much about your keyboard).

I've never used it, but the UR22 looks like a nice interface, btw.

Reply 2 of 5, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry if this is hijacking, I kind of have been curious about how these units are actually connected for gaming, and what is involved on the software side. I haven't been able to find a clear youtube video or anything about it.

Do you just plug these things in with a gameport - > MIDI cable? do you need a special controller card, or can you just do it off a soundblaster gameport? Does the particular game have to have setup options for MPU-401 ?

that's kind of what I'd like to know. I am considering trying to purchase one when I get my tax return

Reply 3 of 5, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Neco wrote:

Do you just plug these things in with a gameport - > MIDI cable? do you need a special controller card, or can you just do it off a soundblaster gameport? Does the particular game have to have setup options for MPU-401 ?

In order; yes, no, yes, and yes. Just a regular Gameport-to-MIDI cable (fairly easy to come by) is required to go from your SoundBlaster to the SC-55. If you're playing DOS games (I assume you are) then yes, the game needs to support the MPU-401 interface and, specifically for the SC-55, the game should be set up to use "General MIDI" for music (some games have option specifically for SoundCanvas, which is just as good or better, and some games only have option for MT-32, which is not what you want when using an SC-55).

Some people like using a Yamaha MU-80 instead of the Roland SC-55 for General MIDI games... just food for thought.

Reply 4 of 5, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If its anything like the XG stuff I've never really liked Yamaha overall (some nice instruments but meh..)
(edit: I just watched Phils compare video, the Yamaha is OK but I like the SC-55 I think)

And I guess just to clarify.. If I had one hooked up and ran the DOOM setup program, I could select "General MIDI", and it would play over the SC-55 ? And I could also select Sound Canvas? They just might sound different or something? Sorry for the retard 101 questions 😢

Reply 5 of 5, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Neco wrote:

If its anything like the XG stuff I've never really liked Yamaha overall (some nice instruments but meh..)

Yeah, personal taste I guess. I personally like the Yamaha...

Neco wrote:

If I had one hooked up and ran the DOOM setup program, I could select "General MIDI", and it would play over the SC-55 ?

Yup, you got it! 😎

Neco wrote:

And I could also select Sound Canvas? They just might sound different or something?

I actually don't have a SC-55 (read my totally not biased opinion on the Yamaha above 🤣) so I'm not sure if DOOM does something different when General MIDI is selected vs Sound Canvas.