VOGONS

First post, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Guys;

I recently upgraded from my Sound Blaster Live to the Audigy ZS in my Windows 98 Machine. I am currently having alot of issues getting the card to run, so far i have installed the WDM drivers manually from a Driver CD i found on Vogons, but the sound keeps cutting out.

I was wondering has anyone got he Audigy ZS successfully running in Windows 98, if so what drivers and if you could provide a link.

Thanks

Reply 2 of 13, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjt wrote:

You want the VxD drivers, I have these working fine on Win98. There's a CD on Vogonsdrivers that includes them.

Thanks it worked like a charm.
For anyone having issues getting it working with 98 the download link is here.

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=510&menustate=0

Extract the iso and locate Audio\Drivers\VxD

Extract the VXD cabinet file and install your drivers 😀

Reply 3 of 13, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Historically, was the Audigy 2 and it's variants intended for Windows 98? Some searching around, leads me to think it was marketed for Windows XP. Obviously it can be made to work for 98. Is this a mild hack or work around of some kind? Creative's website also did not list any Windows 98 drivers when I select any of the Audigy 2 models.

I use an Audigy in my Windows 98 build. Far as I know, it covers EAX 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0. Contemplating if I would want to upgrade it to an Audigy 2. However I wasn't able to determine if it was meant for Windows 98. Besides a bare driver, would any applications to configure and play with the card also work?

Reply 4 of 13, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the bundled mixer and EAX control apps work on Win98. Games wise I've had Diablo 2 and Tron 2.0 working with EAX enabled. Did get some crashes with Tron with it enabled but that's not necessarily Win98 specific.

Reply 5 of 13, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Audigy 2 ZS have Win9x drivers on the soundcard CD. Works ok for me.
Unfortunately - the SB16 emulation isn't present. And there are no DOS drivers for Audigy 2 ZS.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 7 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MPXPLAY accesses SB Live and Audigy cards natively. No DOS drivers involved.

The page does include a patch for the Audigy 1 drivers to work with Audigy 2. Effectiveness is unknown.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Audigy 2 ZS is my go to card for WIn98 PC's using the ISO from above.
Just run though the install wizard and change to vxd though the shortcut created in the start menu.

The installer didn't like my system with 2GB RAM or 256 MB video card (not sure which was the cause)

I also have DOS drivers for games if you need. I think it was modified Audigy drivers, I'll put them up on vogons drivers, but if you need them I'll put it higher in my to do list.

Reply 9 of 13, by Retromangia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also have this card, and will soon be installing it into my 440BX Win98 machine. Are you saying this card does not work in DOS at all without fiddling around? What if you open your games through a DOS prompt in Windows?

Reply 10 of 13, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The catch in DOS is that pretty much all games that used sound talked directly to the metal, and the Audigy2 isn't any kind of hardware that they know how to talk to. This is kind of a problem with most PCI (and MCA, for that matter) sound cards and USB sound devices, and the reason why folks recommend ISA cards for DOS. A few PCI cards have DOS drivers that provide SBPro/SB16 emulation - the Ensoniq AudioPCI (SB PCI128) and Aureal Vortex2 both do.

Windows drivers sometimes provide an emulation layer for DOS games (while Windows is running), causing whatever card is installed to act like a Soundblaster 16, SB Pro or some other similar thing. Apparently the Audigy2 drivers don't do that, though I can't confirm - I've used many an Audigy2, but only ever under Windows 2000/XP/7/10 or Linux.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 12 of 13, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried installing the Audigy 2 ZS on my Asus P2B (440BX), pointing the device manager to the VxD path. End result was it crashed. I didn't bother revisiting the issue, but if other people are getting theirs to work, I'm going to try at it again. Could be because I had a cheap Creative value sound installed previously and didn't scrub the drivers completely.