VOGONS

First post, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Said no-one ever.

I generally find the use of these instruments in the SC-55 to be utilitarian - effective, but artificial, and often wildly unrealistic otherwise. As a result, it doesn't take much effort to identify "MIDI guitar" in its various, and sometimes loathsome, incarnations.

Notwithstanding, and as with many things MIDI and synth related, overcoming the perceived limitations of the SC-55 to produce something unexpectedly convincing is often possible, when approached and crafted by an experienced programmer, and by leveraging the advanced capabilities of Roland's GS standard. With that in mind, here are a few of the more-believable examples of "rock guitar" that I've yet come across for the SC-55.

INDEX.jpg
Pink Cloud - Index
"Drive Me Nuts"

PC.jpg
Pink Cloud (self-titled)
"Why Aren't You Ready?"

And, here are a few additional arrangements that came earlier in the SC-55's lifetime. The guitar programming isn't quite up to the same level as the prior examples, but includes several playing techniques not commonly heard with the SC-55, including a uniquely cacophanous attempt at shredding.

LII.jpg
Mr. Big - Lean Into It
"Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy"

MB.jpg
Mr. Big (self-titled)
"How Can You Do What You Do?"

Reply 1 of 5, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pretty sweet. A lot of times it's not even the realistic quality of the sound itself that makes me believe it could be a real guitar, but just the effort that has gone into articulating the instrument and putting all those techniques into the song.

I think some of the best synth guitar playing on the Playstation was done by the guy who composed Zero Divide's soundtrack. The song "The Power Beat" in particular is probably my favorite.

https://youtu.be/vUyXX70vwlg?list=PL9XV7guN8Y … JeA3_Du7wcfq2ga

Reply 2 of 5, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Cloud. I don't like the lack of realism, but I always liked the sound. In a Sierra context, Eastern Fricana Jungle, Muscle Beach (anything from Larry 6), and QFG4 tracks were pretty good. Apparently Dale Stump who helped Aubrey Hodges on QFG4 was a MIDI guitar whiz, and in Larry 6 Neal Grandstaff wrote and performed all the solos and transcribed them to MIDI, hence their more realistic style. SQ6 was the same (albeit with only a couple guitar tracks).

Thanks so much for the samples. Will love checking them out! Any further examples?

Reply 3 of 5, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to change things up, here's a bit of '60s "surf rock," highlighting the fact that the SC-55's other guitars can sound stupid good.

TTLB.jpg
The Ventures - The Ventures Play Telstar the Lonely Bull
"Apache" FLAC / MP3

WDR.jpg
The Ventures - Walk, Don't Run
"Caravan" FLAC / MP3

And some Aerosmith, because whatever.

AS.jpg
Aerosmith (self-titled)
"Dream On" FLAC / MP3

NL.jpg
Aerosmith - Nine Lives
"Nine Lives" FLAC / MP3

"Falling In Love (Is Hard on the Knees)" FLAC / MP3

Last edited by Cloudschatze on 2017-05-16, 15:24. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:

Be forewarned though, these recordings are in excessively-large, FLAC format. 😵

You ain't kidding - I chickened out at 65MB. How big are they?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 5, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
Cloudschatze wrote:

Be forewarned though, these recordings are in excessively-large, FLAC format. 😵

You ain't kidding - I chickened out at 65MB. How big are they?

So close! The first is around 68MB.

I just added MP3 conversions, and will probably just present both formats in the future.