VOGONS

First post, by sideburns

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently installed Heroes of Might and Magic II on my Linux computer (Which distro doesn't matter.) running under Dosbox. All is going well, except for one thing: the volume is pegged at max, and adjusting it doesn't do any good. If I have to, I can adjust the computer's sound before running the program, and put it back when I'm done, but that's just a kludge. Does anybody know how to make changes like that work, either from inside the program, or by editing a configuration file?

Reply 2 of 5, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In DOSBox:
mixer master 10:10
or some other values that result in acceptable sound volume. Then make a batch script to execute that command and start the game so you don't have to write it every time.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 3 of 5, by sideburns

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know how to set volume on a per-program basis in Xfce, but I know where to ask. As far as using mixer, I already have an [autoexec] section in the .conf file that sets everything up and runs the program, provided that it's a Dosbox command. And, I run that from a shell script, so I can put it in their if needed.

Reply 4 of 5, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sideburns wrote:

I don't know how to set volume on a per-program basis in Xfce, but I know where to ask. As far as using mixer, I already have an [autoexec] section in the .conf file that sets everything up and runs the program, provided that it's a Dosbox command. And, I run that from a shell script, so I can put it in their if needed.

If you're using Pulseaudio (all modern distros use it by default), you can use 'pavucontrol' which can control volume per-program. Check if DOSBOX can be set to output audio by Pulseaudio.

I think something like mentioned in 2nd answer might help to redirect SDL to Pulseaudio: http://askubuntu.com/questions/79944/dosbox-has-no-sound

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA