VOGONS

First post, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone know exactly which brand/manufacturer this is?

IMG_1858.JPG
Filename
IMG_1858.JPG
File size
693.5 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

(The back of the card is completely uninteresting.)

Reply 3 of 7, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It got the original Aureal Vortex (AU8820) so the Vortex 2 drivers won't work.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 7, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, it's a Vortex 1, that is obvious, but what brand or manufacturer? The AU8820 drivers from Vogons archive works great with it in Windows 98, so I just want to know to satisfy my curiosity.

Reply 5 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Based on the presented information, it appears to be a Multiwave Innovation "AudioWave PCI DigitalSound".

("AW PCI DIGITAL SOUND CARD" (P/N: MW50-AUDP22-211), Multiwave Innovation Pte. Ltd)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No problem.

How I did that: I used the string "AW PCI DIGITAL SOUND CARD" (with quotes) for food for Google, and then looked into the few interesting pages that came up, which included Microsoft's Hardware Compatibility List for Win9x and NT 4.0.

There's a chance, if you'd plugged it into a box running Windows XP or something, that you could have read the PCI ID string using Windows or using a utility, and that also could have led to the card's manufacturer. (Only works on PCI and newer technologies, for the most part). But it could just have easily reported back a generic Aureal Vortex card.

The website (www.multiwave.com) has been partially preserved by the Internet Archive.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto