VOGONS

First post, by Kevin_CCR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So my windows 98 machine got an upgrade to a socket 370 board, so I had to upgrade from my awe64. So I bought the ct4780 and well, I have all the drivers installed and no sound is being produced. Only cd audio works. The specs of the pc are: Asus CUV-NT, 3Dfx Voodoo5 5500, Pentium 3 988mhz, 512mbs of ram, random dell floppy, and a TDK 5200B. Any advice on what to do? 😀

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always like to start by taking Windows out of the equation. Get a nice self-booting Linux distribution and use it to boot your PC (either off a CD-ROM or off a USB drive); it should come with appropriate drivers. If you can't get sound in Linux, then you probably have more serious problems.

Reply 2 of 5, by Kevin_CCR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

I always like to start by taking Windows out of the equation. Get a nice self-booting Linux distribution and use it to boot your PC (either off a CD-ROM or off a USB drive); it should come with appropriate drivers. If you can't get sound in Linux, then you probably have more serious problems.

Which version of linux? And where would I go from there?

Reply 3 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. Ask old hardware and related questions in Marvin Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kevin_CCR wrote:

Which version of linux? And where would I go from there?

Darn near anything will do. Puppy Linux might be good for starters, though I might be concerned about whether it includes appropriate drivers. I also like Knoppix (either the CD or DVD version will do), as it's a useful thing to have on hand for various reasons. Just start it up and find something that should play sounds.

Reply 5 of 5, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You might want to try installing this driver:

http://www.mdgx.com/sbdrv/sblive2.zip

Source: Compilation of Creative Sound Blaster Live! drivers for Windows 9x - Windows 9x/ME - MSFN

I had the same problem with the card not producing sound even though it appeared to be installed correctly. Using this driver solved the problem.