VOGONS

First post, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to get HDMI audio working in Windows XP. I've tried both the onboard Intel HDMI Port (i7 3700) and an NVidia GT 430's HDMI Port - both times audio does work over HDMI, however dxdiag tells me that Hardware Buffering is not available, only Software buffering is - meaning audio doesn't work correctly in a few of my games (e.g. Nascar Racing 2003 - which appears to rely on Hardware buffering). Does anyone know if this is a general Windows XP issue with HDMI audio?

Reply 1 of 2, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, it's not.
I had an HTPC with windows XP and HDMI audio works both with a Radeon HD 4350 with native HDMI and with a HD 3650 with an DVI-HDMI adapter.
The two cards were AGP and the platform was more 'xp-era', a 775 machine, perhaps yours is too modern.

Reply 2 of 2, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shiva2004 wrote:

No, it's not.
I had an HTPC with windows XP and HDMI audio works both with a Radeon HD 4350 with native HDMI and with a HD 3650 with an DVI-HDMI adapter.
The two cards were AGP and the platform was more 'xp-era', a 775 machine, perhaps yours is too modern.

Well HDMI audio in general works fine with software buffering, it's just any games that use hardware buffering, the audio don't work properly. I mean it might be just a quirk with that particular game.

The problem is, the game doesn't crash or anything, the audio just sounds odd. So I kinda have to guess whether the lack of hardware buffering is affecting the audio or not, on a per-game basis 😒