VOGONS

First post, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

yesterday I was experimenting with my recent 486 VLB build.

I decided to go with three soundcards:

CT-1600 for OPL3;
GUS Classic 3.73 for games that support it;
YAMAHA SW60XG for excellent MIDI.

This configuration works flawlessly.

The problem occured when I tried to mix YAMAHA card with other cards. I tried two: Ensonique Soundscape Elite and Turtle Beach Tropez (MIDI from those cards seems so much inferior to YAMAHa, so I wanted to keep YAMAHA in my build).

I set the cards to different MIDI ports, while leaving YAMAHA at 330H. The problem is that with those cards plugged in YAMAHA was acting very strange. In Tyrian I would get vary strange echo and DN3D would hang MIDI on exit (the card was still playing the last note on exit).

With either card it happens even if the MPU-401 emulation is not initialized by software.

I have previously succeeded running YAMAHA and Ensoinique even on the same port, so I have no clue why the cards would interfere while configured on separate ports? It would be great to use YAHAHA along with Turtle Beach Tropez, as I really like it's output clarity.

As far as I know, YAMAHA does not use IRQ, so I don't think this is the problem, but maybe I'm wrong.

Any ideas welcome!

Reply 1 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea if this has anything to do with your problem, but perhaps it is because of memory managers/drivers (do they use nmi ?)
If you can, plug in the cards and only run the driver (if required) for the Yamaha SW60XG..
Sorry, that's all that comes to my mind right now. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 2, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The beauty of this Yamaha card is that it does not require any driver whatsoever 😀

I was running both cards without any drivers. Then I installed Turtle Beach and Ensonique for testing. Maybe I should disable MPU-401 (using provided software). On the other hand, why would those interfaces conflict if they run on different ports?