VOGONS

First post, by Mani-aX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, new to the forum here. been reading and researching a bit. i didnt see a guide or thread about this question

How do i enable the Roland SC-55 midi in Windows 98SE?

I currently can restart in DOS mode and use my SB AWE64's midi port and get GM through it. but when i boot back to windows 98, it defaults to the SB's midi port.
Is there a way to switch this?

thanks,
-Mani

Reply 1 of 8, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you talking about two different MIDI ports here?

Though either way, it should be solved by opening the control panel, double clicking on Multimedia, switch to the MIDI tab, and select the MIDI output you want in there.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 2 of 8, by Mani-aX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

one port, midi/game port. so SC-55 is plugged into the gameport / midi on the sound card. when i mentioned it going back to the SB's midi, i guess what i mean to say is its selecting the onboard midi output from the soundblaster.
i looked in the device settings for something like you mentioned, i was just in the wrong place. thanks for the help i will try your method when i get home.

-Mani

Reply 4 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^^ That's it 😀

Windows just sees the MIDI ports. It doesn't know / care what's connected to it.

You do this in device manager > multimedia I think. You can choose your sound devices and also MIDI device. Usually you're looking for a MPU401 option to have MIDI go out the gameport.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 8, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is really strange. I tried Descent's setup program in Win98SE, and it plays on my synth just fine through my sound card's gameport. I'm trying to think of why it doesn't on yours. Did you double check the address? It looks correct in that video though...

Edit: Oh, I just remembered right after I posted. The card I'm using is an Audician 32 Plus, and I have a separate configuration utility in the control panel for it that allows me to select MPU401 Out for DOS application, either external or internal. Depending on what card you're using, there might be a similar utility for yours. That is probably what you're looking for.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 7 of 8, by Mani-aX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ah, ok. its a soundblaster awe64, and i used the cd to install the software. so there might be a utility in the programs to handle the midi port instructions. ill check it out tonight.
thanks -Mani

edit: after doing some digging, i found the user guide for the card here on this site (this site rocks!), and the section for the midi says this:

Attachments

• Midi-settings.JPG
    Filename
    Midi-settings.JPG
    File size
    54.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 8, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If your card uses a DOS driver in DOS mode (in windowed mode it should normally just use the Windows settings...), then the MIDI port should be set appropriately in that driver too.