X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby dreamblaster » 2017-7-30 @ 10:05

Recorded Tie Fighter - title theme : with X3M GUD 0.8 (audit2 preset) :
https://soundcloud.com/dreamblaster/tie ... tible-bank
The GUD bank is compatible with X2 and X3M
Last edited by dreamblaster on 2017-7-30 @ 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
dreamblaster
Oldbie
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 2015-1-18 @ 19:34
Location: Belgium

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby clueless1 » 2017-7-30 @ 10:34

That sounds really good! The chorus voice in the 31-32 second range sounds a bit strange though, like it doesn't belong there.
The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks
User avatar
clueless1
l33t
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: 2015-12-22 @ 17:43
Location: Midwest US

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby moturimi1 » 2017-7-30 @ 19:29

Cool. Hope the GUD 0.8 will be available soon.

clueless1 wrote:That sounds really good! The chorus voice in the 31-32 second range sounds a bit strange though, like it doesn't belong there.

Sounds that way also with other wavetable cards. So obviously not a problem of the GUD 0.8 sound bank.
Last edited by moturimi1 on 2017-8-02 @ 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
moturimi1
Member
 
Posts: 135
Joined: 2014-6-01 @ 16:45

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby dreamblaster » 2017-8-01 @ 14:55

We will add orchestral drumset and then release 1.0, thats the plan.
dreamblaster
Oldbie
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 2015-1-18 @ 19:34
Location: Belgium

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby dreamblaster » 2017-8-05 @ 21:34

Well change of plan, after a lot of testing, GUD 1.0 is now available, it is based on GUD 0.8, only very minor fixes to the compilation.
This is the readme file :
Code: Select all
02/08/2017  :  GUD GM Bank, version 1.0

30 mbyte General MIDI soundbank binary for use in Serdaco soundcards.
(for example X2, X3M).

This bank was made available for download at
http://serdaco.com/downloads/X2/X2_SoundbankPack/GM/GUD/

The bank was developed using the AuditPreset.DXP preset (also available from http://serdaco.com/downloads/X2/X2_SoundbankPack/GM/GUD/)
Alternatively you can use AuditPreset2.DXP or other custom presets, according to your preferences.

Greetings to the vogons community  !
Based on the General User soundbank samples with kind permission of Christian Collins. Thanks !
A giant thanks to Doppler for his huge and excellent help on composing and tuning this GUD bank !
Thanks to keropi for help in soundbank testing.

Soundbank binary (c) 2017 Serdaco BVBA, Belgium
Permitted to use the soundbank binary on soundcards by Serdaco BVBA
Samples used with permission, see http://www.schristiancollins.com/generaluser.php for the original work.

Instrument Map :
128 program changes - 5 drumsets

  0: 0-Stereo Grand
  1: 1-Bright Grand
  2: 2-Electric Grand
  3: 3-Honky-Tonk
  4: 4-Tine Electric Piano
  5: 5-FM Electric Piano
  6: 6-Harpischord
  7: 7-Clavinet
  8: 8-Celeste
  9: 9-Glockenspiel
 10: 10-Music Box
 11: 11-Vibraphone
 12: 12-Marimba
 13: 13-Xylophone
 14: 14-Tubular Bells
 15: 15-Dulcimer
 16: 16-Tonewheel Organ
 17: 17-Percussive Organ
 18: 18-Rock Organ
 19: 19-Pipe Organ
 20: 20-Reed Organ
 21: 21-Accordian
 22: 22-Harmonica
 23: 23-Bandoneon
 24: 24-Nylon Guitar
 25: 25-Steel Guitar
 26: 26-Jazz Guitar
 27: 27-Clean Guitar
 28: 28-Muted Guitar
 29: 29-Overdrive Guitar
 30: 30-Distortion Guitar
 31: 31-Guitar Harmonics
 32: 32-Acoustic Bass
 33: 33-Finger Bass
 34: 34-Pick Bass
 35: 35-Fretless Bass
 36: 36-Slap Bass 1
 37: 37-Slap Bass 2
 38: 38-Synth Bass 1
 39: 39-Synth Bass 2
 40: 40-Violin
 41: 41-Viola
 42: 42-Cello
 43: 43-Double Bass
 44: 44-Stereo Strings Trem
 45: 45-Pizzicato Strings
 46: 46-Orchestral Harp
 47: 47-Timpani
 48: 48-Stereo Strings Fast
 49: 49-Stereo Strings Slow
 50: 50-Synth Strings 1
 51: 51-Synth Strings 2
 52: 52-Concert Choir
 53: 53-Voice OOhs
 54: 54-Synth Voice
 55: 55-Orchestral Hit
 56: 56-Trumpet
 57: 57-Trombone
 58: 58-Tuba
 59: 59-Muted Trumpet
 60: 60-French Horns
 61: 61-Brass Section
 62: 62-Synth Brass 1
 63: 63-Synth Brass 2
 64: 64-Soprano Sax
 65: 65-Alto Sax
 66: 66-Tenor Sax
 67: 67-Baritone Sax
 68: 68-Oboe
 69: 69-English Horn
 70: 70-Bassoon
 71: 71-Clarinet
 72: 72-Piccolo
 73: 73-Flute
 74: 74-Recorder
 75: 75-Pan Flute
 76: 76-Bottle Blow
 77: 77-Shakuhachi
 78: 78-Irish Thin Whistle
 79: 79-Ocarina
 80: 80-Square Lead
 81: 81-Saw Lead
 82: 82-Synth Calliope
 83: 83-Chiffer Lead
 84: 84-Charang
 85: 85-Solo Vox
 86: 86-5th Saw Wave
 87: 87-Bass & Lead
 88: 88-Fantasia
 89: 89-Warm Pad
 90: 90-Polysynth
 91: 91-Space Voice
 92: 92-Bowed Glass
 93: 93-Metal Pad
 94: 94-Halo Pad
 95: 95-Sweep Pad
 96: 96-Ice Rain
 97: 97-Soundtrack
 98: 98-Crystal
 99: 99-Atmosphere
100: 100-Brightness
101: 101-Goblin
102: 102-Echo Drops
103: 103-Star Theme
104: 104-Sitar
105: 105-Banjo
106: 106-Shamisen
107: 107-Koto
108: 108-Kalimba
109: 109-Bagpipes
110: 110-Fiddle
111: 111-Shenai
112: 112-Tinker Bell
113: 113-Carillon
114: 114-Steel Drums
115: 115-Woodblock
116: 116-Taiko Drum
117: 117-Melodic Tom
118: 118-Synth Drum
119: 119-Reverse Cymbal
120: 120-Fret Noise
121: 121-Breath Noise
122: 122-Seashore
123: 123-Birds
124: 124-Telephone
125: 125-Helicopter
126: 126-Applause
127: 127-Gun Shot


5 drumsets
----

      Standard                        Room                           Power                       Electronic                        TR-808                       
Note      Pc:  0                         Pc:  8                         Pc: 16                         Pc: 24                         Pc: 25                   
 21    xxx                            xxx                            xxx                         D521-FX3                          xxx                         
 22    xxx                            xxx                            xxx                            xxx                            xxx                         
 23    xxx                            xxx                            xxx                         D523-FX3                          xxx                         
 24    xxx                            xxx                            xxx                         D524-FX3                          xxx                         
 25    xxx                            xxx                            xxx                            xxx                            xxx                         
 26    xxx                            xxx                            xxx                            xxx                            xxx                         
 27 D127-Filter Snap                                                                                                                                           
 28 D128-Slap                                                                                                                                                 
 29 D129-Scratch Push                                                                                                           D629-Scratch Push             
 30 D130-Scratch Pull                                                                                                           D630-Scratch Pull             
 31 D131-Sticks                                                                                                                                               
 32 D132-Square Click                                                                                                                                         
 33 D133-TR808 Click                                                                                                                                           
 34 D134-TR808 Click Carillon                                                                                                                                 
 35 D135-Standard Kick2                                           D435-Standard Kick2                                           D635-Standard Kick2           
 36 D136-Standard Kick3            D336-Standard Kick3            D436-Standard Kick3            D536-Standard Kick3            D636-Standard Kick2           
 37 D137-Jazz Rim Shot                                                                                                          D637-click                     
 38 D138-Jazz Standard Snare       D338-Jazz Standard Snare       D438-Standard Snare 3          D538-Standard Snare 3          D638-snare                     
 39 D139-Hand Clap                                                                               D539-Hand Clap                 D639-clap                     
 40 D140-Standard Snare 3          D340-Standard Snare 3          D440-Standard Snare 3          D540-Standard Snare 3          D640-snare                     
 41 D141-Standard Tom 5 Lower      D341-Standard Tom 5 Lower      D341-Standard Tom 5 Lower      D541-Standard Tom2             D641-tom                       
 42 D142-Hi-Hat Closed Soft                                                                      D542-Hi-Hat Closed Soft        D642-hihat                     
 43 D143-Standard Tom 5            D343-Standard Tom 5            D343-Standard Tom 5            D543-Standard Tom2             D643-tom                       
 44 D144-Hi-Hat Pedal                                                                            D544-Hi-Hat Pedal              D644-hihat                     
 45 D145-Standard Tom 4            D345-Standard Tom 5            D345-Standard Tom 5            D545-Standard Tom2             D645-tom                       
 46 D146-Hi-Hat Open                                                                             D546-Hi-Hat Open               D646-hihat                     
 47 D147-Standard Tom 3            D347-Standard Tom4             D347-Standard Tom4             D547-Standard Tom2             D647-tom                       
 48 D148-Standard Tom 2            D348-Standard Tom2             D348-Standard Tom2             D548-Standard Tom2             D648-tom                       
 49 D149-Crash Lower                                                                                                            D649-cymbal                   
 50 D150-Standard Tom 1            D350-Standard Tom2             D350-Standard Tom2             D550-Standard Tom2             D650-tom                       
 51 D151-Ride Cymbal                                                                                                            D651-cymbal                   
 52 D152-Chinese Cymbal                                                                          D552-Chinese Cymbal                                           
 53 D153-Ride Bell                                                                                                                                             
 54 D154-Tambourine                                                                                                                                           
 55 D155-Splash Cymbal                                                                                                                                         
 56 D156-Cowbell                                                                                                                D656-cowbell                   
 57 D157-Crash                                                                                                                  D657-cymbal                   
 58 D158-Vibra Slap                                                                                                                                           
 59 D159-Ride Cymbal                                                                                                                                           
 60 D160-Bongo Rim                                                                                                                                             
 61 D161-Bongo Tone                                                                                                                                           
 62 D162-Conga High Muted                                                                                                       D662-Tumba Low                 
 63 D163-Conga High Open                                                                                                        D663-Tumba Low                 
 64 D164-Tumba Low                                                                                                              D664-Tumba Low                 
 65 D165-Timbale Rim                                                                                                                                           
 66 D166-Timbale Low                                                                                                                                           
 67 D167-agogo                                                                                                                                                 
 68 D168-agogo                                                                                                                                                 
 69 D169-Cabasa                                                                                                                                               
 70 D170-Maracas                                                                                                                                               
 71 D171-Whistle Short                                                                                                                                         
 72 D172-Whistle Long                                                                                                                                         
 73 D173-Guiro Short                                                                                                                                           
 74 D174-Guiro Long                                                                                                                                           
 75 D175-Claves                                                                                                                                               
 76 D176-Woodblock high                                                                                                                                       
 77 D177-Woodblock low                                                                                                                                         
 78 D178-Cuica Open                                                                                                                                           
 79 D179-Cuica Open                                                                                                                                           
 80 D180-Traingle Perc short                                                                                                                                   
 81 D181-Traingle Perc                                                                                                                                         
 82 D182-Shaker                                                                                                                                               
 83 D183-Jingle Bell                                                                                                                                           
 84 D184-Chimes                                                                                                                                               
 85 D185-Castanetes                                                                                                                                           
 86 D186-Surdo Muted                                                                                                                                           
 87 D187-Surdo Open                                                                                                                                           
dreamblaster
Oldbie
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 2015-1-18 @ 19:34
Location: Belgium

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby clueless1 » 2017-8-05 @ 22:33

Thanks, it sounds great so far! :)
The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks
User avatar
clueless1
l33t
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: 2015-12-22 @ 17:43
Location: Midwest US

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby moturimi1 » 2017-8-06 @ 10:09

Sound Good in most Games so far.
I do like the Overall Performance, but I am not really fan of the trumpet and muted trumpet. But honestly all wavetable boards have some weak spots.

dreamblaster wrote:Well change of plan, after a lot of testing, GUD 1.0 is now available, it is based on GUD 0.8, only very minor fixes to the compilation.
This is the readme file :
Code: Select all
02/08/2017  :  GUD GM Bank, version 1.0

30 mbyte General MIDI soundbank binary for use in Serdaco soundcards.
(for example X2, X3M).

This bank was made available for download at
http://serdaco.com/downloads/X2/X2_SoundbankPack/GM/GUD/

The bank was developed using the AuditPreset.DXP preset (also available from http://serdaco.com/downloads/X2/X2_SoundbankPack/GM/GUD/)
Alternatively you can use AuditPreset2.DXP or other custom presets, according to your preferences.

Greetings to the vogons community  !
Based on the General User soundbank samples with kind permission of Christian Collins. Thanks !
A giant thanks to Doppler for his huge and excellent help on composing and tuning this GUD bank !
Thanks to keropi for help in soundbank testing.

Soundbank binary (c) 2017 Serdaco BVBA, Belgium
Permitted to use the soundbank binary on soundcards by Serdaco BVBA
Samples used with permission, see http://www.schristiancollins.com/generaluser.php for the original work.

Instrument Map :
128 program changes - 5 drumsets

  0: 0-Stereo Grand
  1: 1-Bright Grand
  2: 2-Electric Grand
  3: 3-Honky-Tonk
  4: 4-Tine Electric Piano
  5: 5-FM Electric Piano
  6: 6-Harpischord
  7: 7-Clavinet
  8: 8-Celeste
  9: 9-Glockenspiel
 10: 10-Music Box
 11: 11-Vibraphone
 12: 12-Marimba
 13: 13-Xylophone
 14: 14-Tubular Bells
 15: 15-Dulcimer
 16: 16-Tonewheel Organ
 17: 17-Percussive Organ
 18: 18-Rock Organ
 19: 19-Pipe Organ
 20: 20-Reed Organ
 21: 21-Accordian
 22: 22-Harmonica
 23: 23-Bandoneon
 24: 24-Nylon Guitar
 25: 25-Steel Guitar
 26: 26-Jazz Guitar
 27: 27-Clean Guitar
 28: 28-Muted Guitar
 29: 29-Overdrive Guitar
 30: 30-Distortion Guitar
 31: 31-Guitar Harmonics
 32: 32-Acoustic Bass
 33: 33-Finger Bass
 34: 34-Pick Bass
 35: 35-Fretless Bass
 36: 36-Slap Bass 1
 37: 37-Slap Bass 2
 38: 38-Synth Bass 1
 39: 39-Synth Bass 2
 40: 40-Violin
 41: 41-Viola
 42: 42-Cello
 43: 43-Double Bass
 44: 44-Stereo Strings Trem
 45: 45-Pizzicato Strings
 46: 46-Orchestral Harp
 47: 47-Timpani
 48: 48-Stereo Strings Fast
 49: 49-Stereo Strings Slow
 50: 50-Synth Strings 1
 51: 51-Synth Strings 2
 52: 52-Concert Choir
 53: 53-Voice OOhs
 54: 54-Synth Voice
 55: 55-Orchestral Hit
 56: 56-Trumpet
 57: 57-Trombone
 58: 58-Tuba
 59: 59-Muted Trumpet
 60: 60-French Horns
 61: 61-Brass Section
 62: 62-Synth Brass 1
 63: 63-Synth Brass 2
 64: 64-Soprano Sax
 65: 65-Alto Sax
 66: 66-Tenor Sax
 67: 67-Baritone Sax
 68: 68-Oboe
 69: 69-English Horn
 70: 70-Bassoon
 71: 71-Clarinet
 72: 72-Piccolo
 73: 73-Flute
 74: 74-Recorder
 75: 75-Pan Flute
 76: 76-Bottle Blow
 77: 77-Shakuhachi
 78: 78-Irish Thin Whistle
 79: 79-Ocarina
 80: 80-Square Lead
 81: 81-Saw Lead
 82: 82-Synth Calliope
 83: 83-Chiffer Lead
 84: 84-Charang
 85: 85-Solo Vox
 86: 86-5th Saw Wave
 87: 87-Bass & Lead
 88: 88-Fantasia
 89: 89-Warm Pad
 90: 90-Polysynth
 91: 91-Space Voice
 92: 92-Bowed Glass
 93: 93-Metal Pad
 94: 94-Halo Pad
 95: 95-Sweep Pad
 96: 96-Ice Rain
 97: 97-Soundtrack
 98: 98-Crystal
 99: 99-Atmosphere
100: 100-Brightness
101: 101-Goblin
102: 102-Echo Drops
103: 103-Star Theme
104: 104-Sitar
105: 105-Banjo
106: 106-Shamisen
107: 107-Koto
108: 108-Kalimba
109: 109-Bagpipes
110: 110-Fiddle
111: 111-Shenai
112: 112-Tinker Bell
113: 113-Carillon
114: 114-Steel Drums
115: 115-Woodblock
116: 116-Taiko Drum
117: 117-Melodic Tom
118: 118-Synth Drum
119: 119-Reverse Cymbal
120: 120-Fret Noise
121: 121-Breath Noise
122: 122-Seashore
123: 123-Birds
124: 124-Telephone
125: 125-Helicopter
126: 126-Applause
127: 127-Gun Shot


5 drumsets
----

      Standard                        Room                           Power                       Electronic                        TR-808                       
Note      Pc:  0                         Pc:  8                         Pc: 16                         Pc: 24                         Pc: 25                   
 21    xxx                            xxx                            xxx                         D521-FX3                          xxx                         
 22    xxx                            xxx                            xxx                            xxx                            xxx                         
 23    xxx                            xxx                            xxx                         D523-FX3                          xxx                         
 24    xxx                            xxx                            xxx                         D524-FX3                          xxx                         
 25    xxx                            xxx                            xxx                            xxx                            xxx                         
 26    xxx                            xxx                            xxx                            xxx                            xxx                         
 27 D127-Filter Snap                                                                                                                                           
 28 D128-Slap                                                                                                                                                 
 29 D129-Scratch Push                                                                                                           D629-Scratch Push             
 30 D130-Scratch Pull                                                                                                           D630-Scratch Pull             
 31 D131-Sticks                                                                                                                                               
 32 D132-Square Click                                                                                                                                         
 33 D133-TR808 Click                                                                                                                                           
 34 D134-TR808 Click Carillon                                                                                                                                 
 35 D135-Standard Kick2                                           D435-Standard Kick2                                           D635-Standard Kick2           
 36 D136-Standard Kick3            D336-Standard Kick3            D436-Standard Kick3            D536-Standard Kick3            D636-Standard Kick2           
 37 D137-Jazz Rim Shot                                                                                                          D637-click                     
 38 D138-Jazz Standard Snare       D338-Jazz Standard Snare       D438-Standard Snare 3          D538-Standard Snare 3          D638-snare                     
 39 D139-Hand Clap                                                                               D539-Hand Clap                 D639-clap                     
 40 D140-Standard Snare 3          D340-Standard Snare 3          D440-Standard Snare 3          D540-Standard Snare 3          D640-snare                     
 41 D141-Standard Tom 5 Lower      D341-Standard Tom 5 Lower      D341-Standard Tom 5 Lower      D541-Standard Tom2             D641-tom                       
 42 D142-Hi-Hat Closed Soft                                                                      D542-Hi-Hat Closed Soft        D642-hihat                     
 43 D143-Standard Tom 5            D343-Standard Tom 5            D343-Standard Tom 5            D543-Standard Tom2             D643-tom                       
 44 D144-Hi-Hat Pedal                                                                            D544-Hi-Hat Pedal              D644-hihat                     
 45 D145-Standard Tom 4            D345-Standard Tom 5            D345-Standard Tom 5            D545-Standard Tom2             D645-tom                       
 46 D146-Hi-Hat Open                                                                             D546-Hi-Hat Open               D646-hihat                     
 47 D147-Standard Tom 3            D347-Standard Tom4             D347-Standard Tom4             D547-Standard Tom2             D647-tom                       
 48 D148-Standard Tom 2            D348-Standard Tom2             D348-Standard Tom2             D548-Standard Tom2             D648-tom                       
 49 D149-Crash Lower                                                                                                            D649-cymbal                   
 50 D150-Standard Tom 1            D350-Standard Tom2             D350-Standard Tom2             D550-Standard Tom2             D650-tom                       
 51 D151-Ride Cymbal                                                                                                            D651-cymbal                   
 52 D152-Chinese Cymbal                                                                          D552-Chinese Cymbal                                           
 53 D153-Ride Bell                                                                                                                                             
 54 D154-Tambourine                                                                                                                                           
 55 D155-Splash Cymbal                                                                                                                                         
 56 D156-Cowbell                                                                                                                D656-cowbell                   
 57 D157-Crash                                                                                                                  D657-cymbal                   
 58 D158-Vibra Slap                                                                                                                                           
 59 D159-Ride Cymbal                                                                                                                                           
 60 D160-Bongo Rim                                                                                                                                             
 61 D161-Bongo Tone                                                                                                                                           
 62 D162-Conga High Muted                                                                                                       D662-Tumba Low                 
 63 D163-Conga High Open                                                                                                        D663-Tumba Low                 
 64 D164-Tumba Low                                                                                                              D664-Tumba Low                 
 65 D165-Timbale Rim                                                                                                                                           
 66 D166-Timbale Low                                                                                                                                           
 67 D167-agogo                                                                                                                                                 
 68 D168-agogo                                                                                                                                                 
 69 D169-Cabasa                                                                                                                                               
 70 D170-Maracas                                                                                                                                               
 71 D171-Whistle Short                                                                                                                                         
 72 D172-Whistle Long                                                                                                                                         
 73 D173-Guiro Short                                                                                                                                           
 74 D174-Guiro Long                                                                                                                                           
 75 D175-Claves                                                                                                                                               
 76 D176-Woodblock high                                                                                                                                       
 77 D177-Woodblock low                                                                                                                                         
 78 D178-Cuica Open                                                                                                                                           
 79 D179-Cuica Open                                                                                                                                           
 80 D180-Traingle Perc short                                                                                                                                   
 81 D181-Traingle Perc                                                                                                                                         
 82 D182-Shaker                                                                                                                                               
 83 D183-Jingle Bell                                                                                                                                           
 84 D184-Chimes                                                                                                                                               
 85 D185-Castanetes                                                                                                                                           
 86 D186-Surdo Muted                                                                                                                                           
 87 D187-Surdo Open                                                                                                                                           
moturimi1
Member
 
Posts: 135
Joined: 2014-6-01 @ 16:45

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby dreamblaster » 2017-8-06 @ 15:37

Hey,
Phil posted a video demonstrating the GUD bank : https://youtu.be/osmUsICxOHg

Feedback is welcome, so we can improve --> please provide a midi file if possible, and tell where it should improve.
The X2 has 64mbyte of flash and we are currently at 30mbyte, so still some room to add more drumkits (for example)
dreamblaster
Oldbie
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 2015-1-18 @ 19:34
Location: Belgium

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby Batyra » 2017-8-06 @ 20:49

I have not visited "sound" for a while and I see that I missed a lot! Shame on me!

I'm uploading GUD 1.0 right now! Hurray!

Thanks @dreamblaster!
User avatar
Batyra
Member
 
Posts: 302
Joined: 2016-7-29 @ 13:58
Location: Poland

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby moturimi1 » 2017-8-08 @ 16:50

dreamblaster wrote:Hey,
Phil posted a video demonstrating the GUD bank : https://youtu.be/osmUsICxOHg

Feedback is welcome, so we can improve --> please provide a midi file if possible, and tell where it should improve.
The X2 has 64mbyte of flash and we are currently at 30mbyte, so still some room to add more drumkits (for example)


Here some feedback for possible improvements on this very good soundfont:
In Betryal at Kondor: I do not like the flute. My personal point of view.
The trumpet in Dark Forces sounds weak.
In DOTT the bird tweet is off. Would be better to use one that is closer to Roland and EMU Soundfonts.
moturimi1
Member
 
Posts: 135
Joined: 2014-6-01 @ 16:45

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby clueless1 » 2017-8-08 @ 19:21

@moturimi1 -- what don't you like about the flute? That was one of the instruments they were pretty proud of after their tweaks. If I have one criticism of the flute, it's that the vibrato is slightly too fast, but otherwise, it's a huge improvement.

I agree with you on the trumpets (or whatever horn instrument that is) in Dark Forces. Particular in the 3-10 second period of the song, and again in the 18-21 second period. Interestingly, the horn instrument in Tie Fighter sounds great. That's why I think it may two different horn instruments.

In Descent 2, the one bass instrument that plays the main melody sounds overly distorted, like a blown speaker cone.

In general, I think the electric guitar is a little too distorted, but that could just be my personal taste. In some songs (like Duke Nukem) it sounds fine, while in other songs (System Shock Medical at 44 seconds in) it sounds overdone. So I could generalize that if you have one electric guitar instrument that will be playing both rock songs as well as synthy or softer tunes, the guitar distortion should be tune back to accomodate the softer/synthy tunes.

Those comments are all based on Phil's video linked above.
The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks
User avatar
clueless1
l33t
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: 2015-12-22 @ 17:43
Location: Midwest US

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby MordekaiZeyo » 2017-10-28 @ 15:38

I've tested the new GUD 1.0 on Dreamblaster X2 (Terratec DMX XFire 1024 PCI soundcard) with default preset and the DOOM games. With the result the drum set are too hard and loud on Doom games that hurts my ears. I am not sure but it sounds like a bit of slamming the door from metal to metal. The Doom OST d_E1M1.mid, d_E1M2 is very noticeable with the drum and i noticed some of few instruments are distorted more or less on some Doom 1&2 OST.
Intel Pentium 3-S 1266Mhz | 512 MB DDR-400 @SD-RAM PC133 | Elitegroup P6S5AT | Galaxy Geforce 6600 GT AGP @4x AGP | Terratec Xfire 1024 PCI Soundcard with Dreamblaster X2
Windows 2000 Pro SP4
MordekaiZeyo
Newbie
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 2017-3-25 @ 13:44
Location: Germany

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby dreamblaster » 2017-10-28 @ 16:19

hi, yeah the Dream default settings are pretty loud, for GUD it is recommended to use a more quiet preset.
For example auditpreset or auditpreset2 : http://serdaco.com/downloads/?dir=X2/X2 ... ack/GM/GUD
These are very dry presets,we used to create the soundbank. You can add a little more reverb spice with the preset editor if you like.

This is recording with the audition preset :
https://soundcloud.com/dreamblaster/doo ... r/sets/x3m
Does it sound like this ?
dreamblaster
Oldbie
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 2015-1-18 @ 19:34
Location: Belgium

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby MordekaiZeyo » 2017-10-29 @ 12:50

I forgot to use the Auditpreset and Auditpreset2. I'll test it now.

EDIT: With auditpreset the drums are still hard and loud in d_e1m1.mid etc. It sounds exact the same from the recorded one from your post. @Dreamblaster.

Hm... I like the drums from the Dream soundbank more. Even the drums from the crappy Microsoft Synthesizer sounds good.
Intel Pentium 3-S 1266Mhz | 512 MB DDR-400 @SD-RAM PC133 | Elitegroup P6S5AT | Galaxy Geforce 6600 GT AGP @4x AGP | Terratec Xfire 1024 PCI Soundcard with Dreamblaster X2
Windows 2000 Pro SP4
MordekaiZeyo
Newbie
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 2017-3-25 @ 13:44
Location: Germany

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby agent_x007 » 2017-11-04 @ 16:27

For anyone interested :)
Secret of Monkey Island (Intro) on DreamBlaster X2 w/GUS 1.0 (command line used - "monkey r") : LINK
Same game, however this time I used Aureal Vortex 2 emulation : LINK
^both files are MP3 48kHz @ 320kbit/s (created from 192kHz @ 24-bit original recording [I'm using ASUS Essence ST as capture ;)])

Two things to mention for X2 GUS 1.0 version :
1) Not all instruments are present (I think)
2) There is an error in instrument sound/note @0:48 (not sure why).

For both I used Ultimate Talkie Edition patch from : LINK ("mokey r1" sounds exactly the same as "monkey r").

EDIT :
Here's Day of the Tentacle "Intro" (complete), on X2 w/GUS 1.0 : LINK
General MIDI game option selected, and sound captured directly from Aureal Vortex 2 (with effects and voices).
Basicly : How game sounds to my ears when I play :)
I used standard settings for GUS.
User avatar
agent_x007
Oldbie
 
Posts: 856
Joined: 2016-1-19 @ 11:06

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby Falcosoft » 2017-11-04 @ 21:50

Secret of Monkey Island (Intro) on DreamBlaster X2 w/GUS 1.0 (command line used - "monkey r")...
For both I used Ultimate Talkie Edition patch from : LINK ("mokey r1" sounds exactly the same as "monkey r").

I think your command line switch forces the game to use MT-32 instrument mappings. GUD is a GM only sound bank without GS/SC-55 style MT-32 emulation.
This would explain the wrong instruments, but not the missing ones...
User avatar
Falcosoft
Oldbie
 
Posts: 556
Joined: 2016-5-21 @ 13:46
Location: Pécs, Hungary

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby agent_x007 » 2017-11-04 @ 23:16

I'm using switches, because without them game simply uses Vortex 2 emulation sound path.
3.2 Playing it in DOS
=====================
- Run "monkey r1" for playing with Roland MT-32 music.
- Run "monkey r" for playing with General MIDI music.
- Run "monkey a" for playing with AdLib music.
- The game can be played either from a harddisk or directly off CD.
- Hit '[' and ']' to adjust the music volume.
Directly from "readme" file on Ultimate Talkie patch...
I am running from DOS 6.22.
User avatar
agent_x007
Oldbie
 
Posts: 856
Joined: 2016-1-19 @ 11:06

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby Whiskey » 2017-11-05 @ 00:01

Hey Agent_x007, for a general midi compatible Monkey Island you should check out the monkey island ultimate talkie edition. Which uses the special edition of the game to create a dos (or at least dosbox) compatible version with general midi music. Like Falcosoft says the DOS version is MT-32 midi which is mapped differently and not equal to General Midi.

Here's a link to a recording of it on the 0.6beta of the GUD banks. https://soundcloud.com/whiskeyjuliet/dr ... ie-edition

When I get time I shall do a new recording of it on GUD v1.0 if no one else beats me to it. W.
User avatar
Whiskey
Newbie
 
Posts: 62
Joined: 2016-7-28 @ 21:05
Location: Durham, UK

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby agent_x007 » 2017-11-05 @ 01:21

Yeah... I wanted to patch Talkie on DOS version (Fail on my part...).
I used DOS version of the game with this patch : LINK - still a "no go" :(
Considering what I tried to do, it still works "OK"...

Going to try Talkie version...
EDIT : Yup, works great on DOS 6.22 :)
Here's MP3 (may be a bit louder than other ones) : LINK
Again, "Default preset".
User avatar
agent_x007
Oldbie
 
Posts: 856
Joined: 2016-1-19 @ 11:06

Re: X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Postby clueless1 » 2017-12-11 @ 22:15

I've been playing Wing Commander Privateer for the past couple of months using this GUD bank and it sounds almost indistinguishable from Roland. Another thank you and good job to Serdaco and dreamblaster!
The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks
User avatar
clueless1
l33t
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: 2015-12-22 @ 17:43
Location: Midwest US

PreviousNext

Return to Sound

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Scali, Tree Wyrm and 2 guests