VOGONS

First post, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I been really liking this card with a Yamaha 719E chipset when pared with a Dreamblaster S1, but I just noticed today that one of the channels is not working. I tested the speakers on another card and sounds comes from both speakers, but with this card I only get sound from one of the speakers. Same with a pair of headset I have. Any chance of getting this working? Anyone see anything obviously wrong with it?

If I can't fix this I'm going to want another card to throw in this mid/late dos machine. Any suggestions on the best cards to pair a Dreamblaster S1 with?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This might seem trivial but check the line-out connector first, it's actually the biggest point of wear on one of these cards. Entirely possible for one of the contacts to get bent & no longer make contact or even a solder pad to break over 20 years of repeated plugging & unplugging.

Other than that it's hard to tell anything from such a dark/unfocused picture. The pins at the bottom of the Yamaha chip look rusty but that could just be lighting.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 2, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would also start with checking the connector. Cut a 1/8" stereo cable (like an aux cable) in half, strip the wires, plug it in, use a multimeter to measure resistance/continuity between those stripped wires and the solder pads of the jack. Should be fine if it reads less than a few ohms but anything above that would be a bad connection from oxidation or weakened spring pressure in the connector. As close to 0 as possible is best but it won't be spot on 0 either.

Edit to note: Oh and if you do get a reading when doing that, move onto twisting the connector while it's plugged in. The resistance should not change much at all, and should not jump to a high value, even for a split second. If you get even a split second of a high resistance or non-reading ("OL" - overload, or infinity, which mean the same thing) then it's the jack.

Yes, I always ramble this much.