VOGONS

First post, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

My machine is a 486 dx4 100mhz, with msdos 6.22 + windows 3.11 for workgroups and a Creative Labs SB32 ISA - CT3670 has my sound card.

Ive tried to install the sound drivers from Sound blaster CD (32 pnp), ive got fx sound in games and @win311 startup, but no midi on both operating systems.

On my dos boot up it says he cant initialize the awe32 sound card:
"AWEUTIL TSR Version 1.33
ERRO12: AWE32 initialization failed"

Maybe ive got the wrong drivers? Can please anyone indicate me the right ones to download?

thanks in advance 😉

www.retromania.pt

Reply 1 of 22, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Post a pic of your card - I'm speaking under correction, but I think some of these cards didn't have an AWE (EMU8000) synthesis chip on board. Meaning, Aweutil won't work and you won't have MIDI synthesis.

Reply 3 of 22, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It requires RAM for MIDI usage. It does have similar MIDI capabilities to the AWE32, but it lacks onboard RAM, so you may have to add your own.

I could be wrong, however, and it could have all the samples on ROM.

I did have a similar issue with an AWE64 that was totally missing all MIDI and OPL3 capabilities and was basically a PCM only card.

Reply 4 of 22, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:

Post a pic of your card - I'm speaking under correction, but I think some of these cards didn't have an AWE (EMU8000) synthesis chip on board. Meaning, Aweutil won't work and you won't have MIDI synthesis.

P1000618.jpg

Ampera wrote:

It requires RAM for MIDI usage. It does have similar MIDI capabilities to the AWE32, but it lacks onboard RAM, so you may have to add your own.

BTW mine has 2mb of extra ram installed...
When im setting the soundcard under a game, ive always sound fx, but no music, ive tried to select all of the different cards under the music option, but none of them worked 😢

www.retromania.pt

Reply 5 of 22, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well here's one problem. That's an AWE32, not a SB32. I have the exact same card in the exact same configuration, and mine works fine.
Did you use the PnP manager for DOS? Did you try Windows 95b/c?

To eliminate any variables and to ensure that you are using the right drivers

Remove any and all files, as well as restore your Config.SYS and Autoexec.BAT. If you don't have anything on windows, and you are alright with removing it, do that, in fact if you really want, you can totally copy my configuration and use PC-DOS 2000 (Obtainable from WinWorldPC, can't give you a link soz) and reinstall everything.

But at bare minimum remove any creative files from DOS and Windows as best you can, and remove whatever lines associated with the soundcard (As best you can) from the Autoexec.BAT and Config.SYS

Install this: http://support.creative.com/downloads/downloa … nDownloadId=230

Make sure that is installed, then install this: http://support.creative.com/downloads/downloa … nDownloadId=273

Use a floppy or CD, and copy the install files into a temp directory (Copy one and then install it, then copy the other and install it).

Use the DIAGNOSE program to see if the config works. If not, report back.

Reply 6 of 22, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Ampera
Thank you so much for your awesome tips, ill definetely try it and ill give you feedback later 😁 😉
Btw i dont have windows 95 installed, only dos 6.22 and win 3.11 on my machine, so i was using pnp manager for DOS.

UPDATE:
I still had a backup of my original autoexec.bat and config.sys before drivers or windows and ive restored them.
Meanwhile ive deleted the entirely windows 3.11 folder and ive installed a new one from scratch 😉

Next Step...burn a cd with the drivers you recommended, ill give you more feedback later 😉

Last edited by Retromania on 2017-03-05, 16:10. Edited 2 times in total.

www.retromania.pt

Reply 7 of 22, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ampera wrote:
Well here's one problem. That's an AWE32, not a SB32. I have the exact same card in the exact same configuration, and mine works […]
Show full quote

Well here's one problem. That's an AWE32, not a SB32. I have the exact same card in the exact same configuration, and mine works fine.
Did you use the PnP manager for DOS? Did you try Windows 95b/c?

To eliminate any variables and to ensure that you are using the right drivers

Remove any and all files, as well as restore your Config.SYS and Autoexec.BAT. If you don't have anything on windows, and you are alright with removing it, do that, in fact if you really want, you can totally copy my configuration and use PC-DOS 2000 (Obtainable from WinWorldPC, can't give you a link soz) and reinstall everything.

But at bare minimum remove any creative files from DOS and Windows as best you can, and remove whatever lines associated with the soundcard (As best you can) from the Autoexec.BAT and Config.SYS

Install this: http://support.creative.com/downloads/downloa … nDownloadId=230

Make sure that is installed, then install this: http://support.creative.com/downloads/downloa … nDownloadId=273

Use a floppy or CD, and copy the install files into a temp directory (Copy one and then install it, then copy the other and install it).

Use the DIAGNOSE program to see if the config works. If not, report back.

That solved it, now i have midi music on games!! Thanks a million!!!!! 😁
From the beginning i thought that might be the reason, and i was looking for someone with the exactly same card to help me solve the issue, thanks again, you were a really lifesaver 😉

What misleaded me from the beginning was my bios detecting my soundcard has a sb32 pnp card, but after all it was a AWE32.

BTW when a game doesnt have AWE32 option for music, normally which is the best option to choose from? yamaha opl3? adlib? etc...
Since ive 2mb of ram installed, which parameters can i use to take the most out of it? its any good for mt32 emulation per example?

www.retromania.pt

Reply 8 of 22, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CT3670 is actually a unique model, since it is not really an AWE32, nor a SB32 (the latter from the time when they were launched in 1995). I'm more inclined to say that this is a later revision of a SB32 PnP, but I noticed that it is listed on Creative's site as an AWE32 PnP).

It's main chip actually comes from the AWE64 (http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.co.za/2012/07 … 64-options.html - search for CT3670 on that page). You can also "test" this by running Diagnose to see what your DSP version is (it should be 4.16, which was only used by the AWE64). This could possibly be one of the reasons why the driver installation from your installation disk didn't work, since your Aweutil version is an older version. As such, with my CT3670, I've always used my AWE64's installation CD to install my drivers.
The benefit is that this card is "bug free" in terms of the MIDI hanging note bug, but it lacks a real Yamaha OPL3 FM synthesis chip (it utilises Creative's CQM synthesis) and also doesn't have the 512 KB onboard memory (notice the open space just below the two simm slots). But, unlike a real AWE64, it does have the two simm slots, which then enables you to upgrade the RAM and load soundfonts.

If your game doesn't support the AWE32 natively, then you can try to select General MIDI as your music option, but this normally only works for "real mode" (i.e., not "protected mode") games - refer this thread for more info:
No MIDI music from my CT3670
The AWE based cards do support MT-32 emulation (via the /EM:MT32 switch), but this is only useful for games that does not require a real mode MPU-401 MIDI interface and doesn't use "sysex" commands to upload custom patches (like it does on a real MT-32). In other words, its MT-32 emulation is very similar to what you would have on a Roland Sound Canvas (like the SC-55).

Reply 9 of 22, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:
The CT3670 is actually a unique model, since it is not really an AWE32, nor a SB32 (the latter from the time when they were laun […]
Show full quote

The CT3670 is actually a unique model, since it is not really an AWE32, nor a SB32 (the latter from the time when they were launched in 1995). I'm more inclined to say that this is a later revision of a SB32 PnP, but I noticed that it is listed on Creative's site as an AWE32 PnP).

It's main chip actually comes from the AWE64 (http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.co.za/2012/07 … 64-options.html - search for CT3670 on that page). You can also "test" this by running Diagnose to see what your DSP version is (it should be 4.16, which was only used by the AWE64). This could possibly be one of the reasons why the driver installation from your installation disk didn't work, since your Aweutil version is an older version. As such, with my CT3670, I've always used my AWE64's installation CD to install my drivers.
The benefit is that this card is "bug free" in terms of the MIDI hanging note bug, but it lacks a real Yamaha OPL3 FM synthesis chip (it utilises Creative's CQM synthesis) and also doesn't have the 512 KB onboard memory (notice the open space just below the two simm slots). But, unlike a real AWE64, it does have the two simm slots, which then enables you to upgrade the RAM and load soundfonts.

If your game doesn't support the AWE32 natively, then you can try to select General MIDI as your music option, but this normally only works for "real mode" (i.e., not "protected mode") games - refer this thread for more info:
No MIDI music from my CT3670
The AWE based cards do support MT-32 emulation (via the /EM:MT32 switch), but this is only useful for games that does not require a real mode MPU-401 MIDI interface and doesn't use "sysex" commands to upload custom patches (like it does on a real MT-32). In other words, its MT-32 emulation is very similar to what you would have on a Roland Sound Canvas (like the SC-55).

Great explanation, 1000 thanks!! 😁
As far as i understood from your explanation, the CT3670 is like an hybrid of the models you mention it (awe32/sb32/awe64), thats why my AWEUTIL version couldnt inicialize it.

Great tips on mt-32 emulation too, thanks! I will give them a good use 😉

www.retromania.pt

Reply 10 of 22, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Retromania wrote:

Great explanation, 1000 thanks!! 😁
As far as i understood from your explanation, the CT3670 is like an hybrid of the models you mention it (awe32/sb32/awe64), thats why my AWEUTIL version couldnt inicialize it.

Great tips on mt-32 emulation too, thanks! I will give them a good use 😉

The CT3670 is actually more closely related to an AWE64 than to its AWE32/SB32 counterparts.
I haven't tried it yet, but you should even be able to run the WaveSynth/WaveGuide software on this card, which would then almost make it a "SB64" 🤣.
What makes this card very similar to the original SB32 models, is the lack of onboard RAM, but still having two simm slots to upgrade the RAM. Once you have upgraded the RAM, then this card becomes very similar to a standard AWE64.

Reply 12 of 22, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got this card and I rate it highly, use it for bug midi to my Roland SC-55 and even the CQM sounds good, I cant tell the difference between this and a real OPL3.

Like you I had troubles installing the drivers but I somehow worked it out.

One tip, if you have troubles with Duke Nukem 3D downgrade the sound samples khz and it will work fine.

Reply 14 of 22, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:

My card has been working perfectly since ive installed the correct drivers 😉
But now ive found a different problem, when i try to use the aweutil to emulate MT-32: aweutil /em:mt32, i got this error:
"ERR006: Cannot open SYNTHMT.SBK"

Does anyone have a link to download this missing file?

www.retromania.pt

Reply 15 of 22, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here you go...

Attachments

• Filename
    SYNTHMT.7z
    File size
    34.77 KiB
    Downloads
    139 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 22, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Retromania wrote:
Kamerat wrote:

Here you go...

Thanks!! now its working 100% 😁

BTW whats the maximum amount of RAM this card support?

You should be able to put 2x 16MB simms in it. The card will only read 28MB total.

All of the AWE32 and SB32 and the CT3670 with simm slots should support a max of 28MB.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 22, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

You should be able to put 2x 16MB simms in it. The card will only read 28MB total.

All of the AWE32 and SB32 and the CT3670 with simm slots should support a max of 28MB.

Thank you so much for the info! 😁
Btw whats the full ram specs? Which ram type do i have to look for on ebay?

www.retromania.pt

Reply 19 of 22, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Retromania wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Thank you so much for the info! 😁
Btw whats the full ram specs? Which ram type do i have to look for on ebay?

Creative says pretty much any 30 pin simm 80ns or faster.

The cards are supposed to be compatible with just about whatever.

Look other places than eBay though.

Here are some that people have used in the past that work. And only $12 a stick.
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/30PS16MB/

You can find them slightly cheaper if you look, but not by much.

And if looking on eBay, I wouldn't order them from 1-800-memory. I tried that recently and even though they listed them, they didn't have any in stock and couldn't find the parts to build them after 2 weeks of me waiting.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK